REI Boots?

Jplus4

FNG
I'm looking to get a lasting pair of boots and have some money to burn at REI. Hopefully I can get some input from you guys...
I was going to get the Lowa Renegades until Aron suggested the Lowa Caminos. Now I have no idea. I have compared the Caminos to the Asolo TPS that they carry and also the Asolo Khumbas. The Khumbas look pretty good too. Does anyone have any experience with these boots or another suggestion from REI?
My purposes will be hunting the High Seirras here in CA, some snow(not much), creek crossings, summer to winter (80's-20's) mostly cooler temps. Oh yeah, probably hiking 5-20 miles at a time.
Thanks
Josh M

Last edited:
Can't give to much advise on a specific brand or model but I will say that REI has an incredible return policy.So what ever you try you can actually use them on the trail and if they don't work out you can return them for a full refund! no receipt needed and no questions asked
Tim

BigSurArcher

Banned
I've had two pairs of Lowa Renegades and while they are extremely light and comfortable, each have only lasted one season (July through October). The seams came apart, the soles started to peel off, and I ripped holes in the sides of each pair. Also, the lateral stability was kinda sketchy when side hilling with 90 lb loads. I wouldn't recommend them for rocky country. For general backpacking and hiking in mellower country on trails they seem like a great boot, but when you go to blaze your own trails and carry heavy things is when they seem to age real fast. Now I'm breaking in a pair of boots with a stiffer sole and less supple leather. The Renegades literally broke in within a few miles.

I used the Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking Boots and really liked them. I haven't had any issues with them and they held up really well. I'd buy them again.

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Where I live REI is pretty much the only local place to go try on boots from La Sportiva, Scarpa, Asolo, Lowa, etc. without having to drive a couple hours to a larger metro area that has big outdoor stores. So its nice having that option, and most of the time when you tell the salesperson that the primary use for boot is hunting they don't flinch and give you the judgmental liberal stare that you usually get from the Seattle REI people.

OP
J

Jplus4

FNG
Thanks guys. I am actually looking more at the now. I've heard they can be stiffer and less complaints about sole wearing prematurely. REI is about an hour away so I guess I get to keeping doing research on the web until I get there. Maybe there will be newer models out too.
Thanks again
Josh M

JNDEER

WKR
I hunt A zone and B/D through winter.

I use the Vasque Breeze GTX and just picked up the Vasque Breeze 2.0 (non-waterproof). For my feet this are the best boots around. They fit some really well and others not so much. If you head into REI you should at least give them a try. I have not had them in snow, but they did fine for avg wet grass and sprinkle rain.

KMT

WKR
REI sells plenty of good boots. Just there and try on as many as you can until you find the right pair for you. What fits me great could be horrible for someone else.