REI Passage 2 tent with footprint

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I'm fully aware of the weight that comes with this tent. I'm looking at it this way, I usually carry at least 5 pounds of dog food for my pups while we go scouting anyways. They now have their own packs to carry their own food. So it'll make no difference in the weight of my pack I'm used to carrying anyways plus I'll now have a tent that can fit me and both dogs. I watched youtube review videos and read all the written reviews I could find on this tent. I'm just curious if anyone on here has ever ran this tent and what you guys ran it for? I plan on using it on all my back country fishing trips that typically take place from June-September. I'll also use it on my mule deer hunt next year in September and possibly October if needed.

Fulton

FNG
I’ve owned this tent for about 3 years and ran it maybe 50ish times. It’s a solid tent and was priced right on sale. I also bought the footprint. I use it vs a floorless (Supertarp) when out with my seven year old. I’ve packed it in 10ish miles for group trips probably half a dozen times. No complaints outside of the weight (tarp elitist now). It’s very comfortable to run without the rain fly if you like seeing the stars. My advice if you’re looking to take back country is:

*Replace the stakes with lighter ones.

*Run some tyvek or polycro vs the actual footprint.

*Look at a lighter bag for the whole thing as the supplied one is heavier than you need.

Cheers

krohboy

WKR
Ive had one for 6 or 7 years. I used to backpack with it and it has done the job great. After upgrading purely for lighter weight I now use it for truck camping and as a backup. It is a great tent and would not hesitate to use it as long as the weight doesn’t bother you.

I would upgrade stakes and bag though but that goes for almost any tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one for the past 9 years. I use it for everything from backpacking trips (10-30 miles) to car camping. March - November most years. This tent is bomber for the price point in my opinion. I too am used to carrying heavy gear over the years and the weight for this one does not bother me. Only down side I have found is that the length of the tent poles make it harder to be more compact compared to newer styles of shelters. I've used this tent in 90+ degree weather in UT and slept on snow pack with 8+ inches of snow fall on it over night and never had any issues. Great overall tent in my opinion.

OutHeavy

FNG
A similar tent to consider, also available at REI is the Marmot Tungsten. Looks like a $55 increase, but I've used the tungsten 1p the last three seasons in some very inclement weather and have really been impressed with the quality and durability.