REI Radiant Down Sleeping Bag

rhendrix

WKR
Trying to find reviews for someone who has used this bag in a bivy setup with just a tarp and no floor? I know the inherent disadvantages of using a down bag, but for the money (less than 200 dollars) I really feel like this bag would suit my needs for a early hunt in August in UT, or a early Sept hunt in CO or ID. I don't want to break the bank buying a bag, and I've thought about buying a quilt instead, but don't really know where to find a quilt for a similar price point. Opinions and feedback are much appreciated. Thanks!

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
If my memory serves me correctly Aron used to use a Radiant bag from REI. When I purchased my Marmot Helium I talked with Aron and opted for the Marmot. I am curious to the answers you will get with the pairing of a down bag and a tarp/floorless shelter.
With the REI warranty you could always buy one and take it back if it did not meet your needs.

Lawnboi

WKR
cannot speak for that particular bag, but I will say that you get what you pay for, cheap bags usually are no fun in my experience.

As for the floorless comment. Lots of guys use their down bags floorless without a problem. I sold all my down stuff and now use solely synthetic. Take it for what its worth, but I am all but done with down, water resistant or not. Synthetics are getting lighter and lighter, they dry fast, are easier to wash, usually more durable, and don't leave me with that clammy feeling.

Im running kifaru blankets or bag, or combination in a bivy under my paratarp. If im in a bigger shelter, like the tipi im hoping to get, ill just use a bag.

Down is warm though, just don't get it wet.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm not worried about down getting wet. I've never slept in a sleeping bag (in the Marines) and not had a condensation problem. I figure if worse comes to worse ill lay it out to dry mid-afternoon and take a siesta if I have to. My main concern is warmth and size. Down seems to be the way to go, obviously synthetics with the same properties are going to be superior but I haven't found anything in my price range. If you guys have suggestions for a synthetic bag that will net me the same results for under 250 I'm all ears.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've always used a down bag and I don't plan to change anytime soon. I've had it get really wet once and I still slept plenty warm. I have used a down bag on a pad with no shelter at all, in a wall tent with a woodstove and everything in between.
I hunt WA, so I have been in some very wet weather and I just don't have trouble getting my gear wet.

I've never used an REI bag but they make some pretty good stuff IMO.

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree with you there rhendrix, getting your bag wet isn't the problem. Its the condensation that builds after a days of sleeping. I could just never keep my down bags completely dry. And the last thing I wanted to do is sit there and wait for them to dry off. My kifaru soft goods dry amazingly fast, one of my favorite things about them. And they don't hold that moisture that down will.

Kifaru makes a good soft goods, imo one of the best for the price. Its a hair above your budget but imo its the best for the price, full price atleast. Some other companies bags can be had for a bit cheaper if you shop around and are patient if you really are wanting to go the down route.

Marmot can be had for great prices if you shop around. They make a pretty good down bag.

Good luck in your search.

If you want a incredible down quilt at super prices, go to Enlightened Equipment and look at the Revelation X Quilts.