Reintroduce Grizzlies into CA

Do you support the reintroduction of grizzly bears to CA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moserkr

WKR
The animal activist buying tags thread got me thinking…. Also added a yes or no poll to see where people stand. This could be fun.

Reintroducing grizzlies to CA should be something we should not only get behind, but get in front! Im tired of so many anti-gun, mask wearing granola eaters out in the forest thinking its all sunshine and rainbows.

Not only would it be an ultimate conservation story, increasing an iconic species and bringing it back to its original range, but it solves more issues. Relocation from states where bears become over populated but cant be hunted - The (lib) argument being that theres not a large enough overall population to hunt them. Well…. We have room here!! Especially along the coast 😏, technically that is the prime habitat. Let that population grow! Sure we can probably never hunt em here most likely, until they start eating/attacking enough people who dont understand the hierarchy of nature.

Lets make the CA state flag great again! Bring back grizzlies. The coastal forests are so thick, they will manage themselves. As for all the A and B zone hunters, sorry guys, its something that we can handle, but to me seems necessary. Its also calling out the crazy activists who dont contribute to actual conservation. Put their communities and lives into the game instead of calling shots from the sidelines.

Lets hear your thoughts, pros, cons. Im in the sierras of CA. Could use an excuse to buy a bigger gun for self defense. Wolves are here now, why not keep it wild and give them a top competitor besides man.

bsnedeker

WKR
The only problem with this plan is that it would really mean introducing bears to the only parts of CA that don't suck...the rural areas where people are generally not insane. If we could concentrate the bears in LA and SF I think this would be great for conservation of the grizz!

Drenalin

WKR
The argument about there not being enough of them to hunt would certainly change to some other argument as why they should never be hunted. To me, it doesn't make sense to sink time and money into screwing with them if they'll become this untouchable thing that may or may not ever even be managed appropriately, let alone hunted.

Full disclosure, I'm not in or near CA and never will be. I don't hate bears, just people's reactions to bears. And ultimately if it isn't on my dime and it's way the heck out there, I don't actually care all that much.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Sorry @Oregonboy Your state is part of the same crowd as CA unfortunately. The coast is where they inhabit the most, which is also the most liberal. Right now the odds are that they naturally migrate back into OR first, then CA. I just want to help kickstart it here.

@bsnedeker I get it, Im in the rural areas. But along the coast it is highly liberal - mendo, humboldt. The city folk pass right through my backyard to go recreate in the woods and its ugly how they treat it. You cant ruin this state by putting more bears in it lol.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@Drenalin I get it. My idea would be to get the crazy anti-hunters on board for the reintroduction. They dont know what they would be getting into. But cant hurt to solicit dollars from them for once to actually do something for conservation. Hunting the grizzly would be inevitable in my mind but thats a fight we can have later once there is something to fight about…

Oregonboy

WKR
Sorry @Oregonboy Your state is part of the same crowd as CA unfortunately. The coast is where they inhabit the most, which is also the most liberal. Right now the odds are that they naturally migrate back into OR first, then CA. I just want to help kickstart it here.

We're not that bad yet...It's really only the Metro areas that vote that way. The rest of Oregon (where I live) is literally hoping to join Idaho.

Hoghead

WKR
The reality is we have fewer and fewer deer every year. We have wolvs coming in that's going to make a dent. If we bring grizzlies they aren't going to put them in the coast range. Sounds good and is fun to talk about grizzlies eating liberals but reality is they won't let us hunt them. They will over populate and make California deer hunting worse than it is.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
The reality is we have fewer and fewer deer every year. We have wolvs coming in that's going to make a dent. If we bring grizzlies they aren't going to put them in the coast range. Sounds good and is fun to talk about grizzlies eating liberals but reality is they won't let us hunt them. They will over populate and make California deer hunting worse than it is.

Good argument. Yes you could be right. But how would griz impact the cougar population which is one of the major causes of our deer herd suffering? That and people expanding into prime deer habitat, especialy winter ranges. Not to mention the roadkill…. There are so many blacktail along the coast, I dont see that as an issue there. But inland in the sierras, yes, it could hurt.

Drenalin

WKR
What we need is a grizzly nursery. A place where we can raise grizzlies to maturity while teaching them enjoy eating things like soy, tofu, and smoothies. Once we have an "army" of these bears built up, we air drop them into heavily populated areas of CA and let them work their magic. They'll be into every apartment and home, and some people will certainly be sacrificed. If they happen to take out most people in those areas, so be it. If it only leads to people in those places begging for the bears to be killed, perhaps the runoff from that will lead to hunting opportunities in places that already have grizzlies. I might need to change my vote, depending on the method of "reintroduction." Or maybe I should write a screenplay...

Too bad so sad. Historic range and all that jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.