Release agent for glass bedding???

Good day Lady's and Gentleman.

I have a question on release agents for glass bedding. I am looking for ideas since I do not care for the products I have used in the past. They worked but seem to be a pain to apply but did not release as goo as I thought they should.. Lets get a discussion going on what you like and what you do not like. What have you all found that works the best? I know some of this stuff is based on personal experience based on how the product was used.

I have in the past used is the blue gel from Brownells that comes with there kit and kiwi neutral boot polish.

The blue gel that comes in the kit for me has worked better then kiwi boot polish. The thing I do not like about the blue gel is it takes time to coat it evenly and is hard for me to coat evenly. (there might be a trick I am missing) also it never seems to dry even after letting it sit for hours and when I go to put the second coat on it the first coat peals. I put it on as thin as I can.

The kiwi boot polish was a lot easier to apply BUT for me it did not release near as good as the blue gel that came in the kit. I even used it bedding scope bases and had trouble getting it to release of the action. again maybe its me.. LOL

Maybe you all have some pointers? But I would rather stay away from the two products mentioned above. I also cant help but feel theirs better ways to do it. With that said. The kiwi boot polish was very nice to work with. as in put on and clean up after the job was done. I just did not like the way it released.

Products I am looking at trying are. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...aerosol-sku081028000-1045-3808.aspx?rrec=true

And also maybe a mold release like this stuff. There are different options on this page.https://www.grainger.com/category/l..._-Categories_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLACAT

Thanks for all that post on this subject.

David

One shot case lube or Johnson paste wax. I used kiwi on 4-5 jobs and it’s a pain to apply evenly and buff then a pain to remove as acetone would just push it around and not pull it off. Had to go to VMP or something like that to pull the kiwi then acetone to cut the VMP.

Shrek

WKR
I use the Kiwi shoe polish. I tried One Shot on a couple of actions but I didn’t like the finish. Kiwi polished thin is very thin and leaves a very tight bed. I think that’s a good thing. I use MarineTex grey for bedding.

OP
nemthunter
Thanks for the replies. I am glad most of you like the kiwi boot polish. I did not. LOL Maybe it was me? But I had trouble with it. And maybe it because the stuff I have is OLD and the new mixture is different? maybe more wax in it?

Yote Klr

FNG
Kiwi "natural" shoe polish.
Apply, let it (haze) dry. Buff, repeat one more time.
When you buff till it is shiny you know you are GTG.

Also Kiwi natural is a great rust preventative for chrome moly and carbon steel.

LaHunter

WKR
Kiwi "natural" shoe polish.
Apply, let it (haze) dry. Buff, repeat one more time.
When you buff till it is shiny you know you are GTG.

Also Kiwi natural is a great rust preventative for chrome moly and carbon steel.

This is what I do too. I think the 2nd coat makes a difference.

Rob5589

WKR
Same here, 2-3 coats of Kiwi. It makes for a tight, clean bedding job. I have never had any poi shift when I R&R an action.

OP
nemthunter
Looks like Kiwi is winning out so far. LOL NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! :D It scares me to try and use it on a action after seeing what it did not do for me on the base I tested it on. Maybe I did not polish it enough? I did do two coats. It was easy to work with and that I liked.

Thanks for the input yall. keep it coming!

Shrek

WKR
What are you using for bedding ? Acraglass sucks IMO. Way too soft. MarineTex grey is the best IMO followed by Devcon steel. The action should be tight in the bed when done and shouldn’t just fall out.

Yote Klr

FNG
What are you using for bedding ? Acraglass sucks IMO. Way too soft. MarineTex grey is the best IMO followed by Devcon steel. The action should be tight in the bed when done and shouldn’t just fall out.
Yep, Devcon 10110 here.

OP
nemthunter

Acra glass from Bownells. Have used it for years. Yes it does seem a little soft. Every thing I do is tight. It clicks in and has to be pulled apart. I can take the action screws out and turn the guns upside down and they will not fall out. Like I said it clicks in place it can not and will not just fall in place.

Thanks for the feed back. acroglass is all I knew until I started playing on the e-net. I am sure there are tougher things.

My complaint is the release agents I have used.

sroemmich

FNG
Hornady one shot case lube works better for me than anything else I have tried. Its all I use now and I always have it on hand.