Release bag for hunting???

J-Daddy

WKR
For all the western guys who spot n' stalk and hunt with a hand held release....What are you using for a bag to keep up with them?
I'm not much for the "stick it in your pocket" thing cause I know how many pocket knives I lose every year and they even have a damn clip on them...I don't like the "put it in a zippered pocket on your pack" thing cause I know I'm gonna drop my pack and realize later that's where my release is when I need it.
Don't really want to put a wrist strap on it since I don't want the thing beating & banging around everywhere....I've hunted with a hand held a lot but that's pretty much all been whitetail hunting from a stand so I didn't have to keep up with it, zip it in a waist band pocket on a pack, let it hang from my loop in the stand while the bow was on a hanger...Pretty hard to mess that up. But spot n' stalk I need a better system.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You highlight the main reason I've stayed with a wrist strap. When not on my wrist, I strap it to my bow. Then us "three" are never separated. Can think of a great 28" pretty typical buck I might have if I'd only had my release handy.

For western hunting, I think strap is best.

Rolo

FNG
I'm no help. Tried various 'bags' even a custom made one and I didn't like it. If it's hunting time, it's connected to my wrist. If it's not, it's in a pocket. As for the hanging and banging...I just tuck it up inside my sleeve.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For all the western guys who spot n' stalk and hunt with a hand held release....What are you using for a bag to keep up with them?
I'm not much for the "stick it in your pocket" thing cause I know how many pocket knives I lose every year and they even have a damn clip on them...I don't like the "put it in a zippered pocket on your pack" thing cause I know I'm gonna drop my pack and realize later that's where my release is when I need it.
Don't really want to put a wrist strap on it since I don't want the thing beating & banging around everywhere....I've hunted with a hand held a lot but that's pretty much all been whitetail hunting from a stand so I didn't have to keep up with it, zip it in a waist band pocket on a pack, let it hang from my loop in the stand while the bow was on a hanger...Pretty hard to mess that up. But spot n' stalk I need a better system.

Chalk bag for climbers is the best I've found.

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a handheld partly for the reason that I don't have to bother with it banging. I just put my handheld in my pocket and pull it out when I need it, though I have not lost it yet. Or clip it on the string. Ready to go then

Maybe a small pocket on a bino harness would work. well

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm not 100% sure I'll hunt with it this fall...I know I'll shoot it for 3-d but I might pick up a Carter RX1 or something along those lines for hunting...Carter's are the only wrist straps I've used that I can get the trigger heavy enough for my taste. Shot my buddy's Wise Guy, his was WAY to light for me, you fart and that thing would fire.

caihlen

FNG
My hand helds fit nicely in one of the pockets of my fhf bino harness. Seems to be pretty secure and so far it's been easy to get to.....
Ymmv.....

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my handheld in my pocket or attached to the d-loop when sitting. I think the chances of my release coming out of my pocket is pretty slim, I try to keep the times where I end upside down to a minimum though ;) The reason you have lost pocket knives is maybe because of the clip. Having a clip means it is already part way out of your pocket and doesn't have very far to go to come out.

I have lost wrist style releases in the past because I got used to relying on it being on my wrist. But there were times where I had to take it off, and when I left the area my release didn't even cross my mind because it was "always" on my wrist. With a handheld I am constantly worried about losing it, and because of that, I haven't yet.

I've lost 2 stans (north of Evanston wy on the same ridge in case you are gun-ho to search out a free release haha). Both fell out of my pocket.

I still bring it.... but I have it in a zippered pocket near my knee and I have my short n sweet on my wrist. I use the sns if I have to but for longer or planned shots I use my Stan.

WARNING! Your handheld release may or may not hut the same place as your wrist release. I've seen them be as much as 6-8 inches different at fairly short yardages.... PRACTICE WITH WHAT YOU HUNT WITH.

joe

You highlight the main reason I've stayed with a wrist strap. When not on my wrist, I strap it to my bow. Then us "three" are never separated. Can think of a great 28" pretty typical buck I might have if I'd only had my release handy.

For western hunting, I think strap is best.
+1
I do the same as Robby

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer a handheld for a number of reasons and have used a lot of different ways to keep them. The rock climbing chalk bag works pretty well - my hunting partner has used that for the last 10 years and hasn't lost a release yet. The biggest issue with the chalk pouch is that you will end up with all kinds of debris in there unless you're hunting above timberline. I got a pine needle in my release one time and it wouldn't cock. Luckily I was able to get my backup out of the pack before the bull ran me over.

Always pack an identical spare release no matter what kind you shoot.

I install a lanyard in all of my handheld releases so it stays on my wrist. I don't want to be digging around in a pouch or pocket when an animal pops up quickly. You can drill a small hole in most releases so you can thread a small piece of release rope through. This has been the best solution for me. Been hunting hand held for over 15 years.

If I'm crawling I can tuck it in my sleeve, if I need both hands I can just let go and it hangs from my wrist.

DC

Slim Jim

WKR
I prefer a handheld for a number of reasons and have used a lot of different ways to keep them. The rock climbing chalk bag works pretty well - my hunting partner has used that for the last 10 years and hasn't lost a release yet. The biggest issue with the chalk pouch is that you will end up with all kinds of debris in there unless you're hunting above timberline. I got a pine needle in my release one time and it wouldn't cock. Luckily I was able to get my backup out of the pack before the bull ran me over.

Always pack an identical spare release no matter what kind you shoot.

I install a lanyard in all of my handheld releases so it stays on my wrist. I don't want to be digging around in a pouch or pocket when an animal pops up quickly. You can drill a small hole in most releases so you can thread a small piece of release rope through. This has been the best solution for me. Been hunting hand held for over 15 years.

If I'm crawling I can tuck it in my sleeve, if I need both hands I can just let go and it hangs from my wrist.

DC

I'm scared to drill thru my $189 Stan. I want to though cause I don't want to lose it

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Slim, is it a thumb trigger or a hinge? Thumb triggers you need to take apart to see what's going on inside before drilling. Usually out near the 3rd finger or pinky on a 4-finger you can find a spot. Here's a pic of my lanyard setup. Hinges are easy cuz there aren't any moving parts in the handle. You can even drill thru the finger contact area and chamfer the hole good. Then put the release rope through and burn the end - wet a finger and press on the melted end so it fills the chamfer and you won't be able to feel it's even there. You can push it back out a bit then dab some glue inside the chamfer so it doesn't push out while you're hunting.

attachment.php

Rolo

FNG
I've got a thumb release. It's the Stan shootoff 4 finger

Nice muley!

There might be enough room to thread some loop rope through the hole on the cocking lever. This is what I did on most of my Carters (the Sensation doesn't have the lever). You cant use the rope to assist in drawing though (shouldn' t anyway).

On the Stan, anything in the 'grip' area of the release from the 'neck' out toward the 3rd and 4th fingers should be ok to drill a small hole. If you compare your 4 finger to a 2 finger, that should give you a good idea of what is safe. (Anything below the screw where the middle finger goes holding the halves together has nothing mechanical behind it). There isn't much room for drilling above the screw.