Release Issues

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a brand new bowhunter. When I bought my V3 27, the tech let me test it with his Stan Perfex and I was super impressed with the feel plus adjustments. I purchased one and probably have 500 shots through it so far. The release is perfect, I just can’t get comfortable. I feel like my anchor point is constantly changing and my best shots are the ones that take the longest and feel the worst coming off. The 27 has a pretty aggressive string angle and I have to move my head to get comfortable. My friend has a index and I drew it back a couple times and I felt like I was getting my nose button anchor more consistently with less head movement. My question is will I benefit from trying a index? I’m only shooting 40 yards and in from a tree stand when I hunt. I bought a thumb because I wanted tight groups and I’m not getting that.

fatlander

WKR
How long is your draw length?

How do you execute your shots with the Stan vs the index release?

The index finger release is going to lead to target panic, which you may already have. Honestly, I’d just skip that step and move to a hinge. It’ll save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on your draw length your dealer needs a good boot between the legs for recommending a 27 ata bow! Unless you are a 26 or less inch draw, you are correct the string angle is going to be quite sharp. That being said they can be shot properly, the shot bows are not nearly as comfortable or forgiving, especially if you are just starting out. First thing is forget about touching the string to your nose, assuming your 28 to 29 inch draw, only way to touch your nose to the string will be to have a draw length an inch to long or ducking your head forward to the string, both are not proper form and accuracy robbing. Having fewer anchor points on a short bow can surely hinder consistency, couple that will a peep that is further than necessary, problems simply arise. A thumb button can help to a certain degree for consistent anchoring. Good luck! And some pictures and we can maybe give a better hand in helping. At least we can confuse the crap 9ut of you!

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
You don’t need a thumb release for tight groups. I shoot better with a index release than I do with a thumb release. A thumb release causes me to punch the trigger and be very inconsistent.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I am a 29 inch draw, I’m comfortable at 29 where my arm isn’t locked out and I can get a consistent grip. With that said, I’ve been trying to shoot my thumb with a surprise release back tension instead of punching the thumb trigger. I use a bowmar nose button as a anchor point.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Having owned a vxr28 with a 29-in draw I'm going to say your bow is too small for you. I was able to shoot it fairly well at the distances of 100 and 110 yards but I was constantly getting left and right shots of the target. That's mainly due to the shorter axle to axle not being as forgiving, but mainly hand torque.

With regards to an index and a thumb release I was deadly accurate with my spothog wise guy, I find with hand releases I'm not as accurate but I get a cleaner shot. That all comes down to practice and getting the proper lessons. Most importantly it's doing the same shot process day in and day out. Which is what I'm struggling with right now. I took some time off over the winter and I'm getting back into shooting a hand release and I find I'm all over the place. I went from shooting inch size Target dots at 50 yards, to pie plate size groups at 50 yards still not bad, but the target Archer in me is hating thus because I haven't put in enough practice.

All that being said,go back to your dealer and get a larger bow. Minimum would be a 31 in axle I'd push for a 33 if I were you. It'll be more forgiving more comfortable you're not going to have to duck your head as much I still have to with my vxr 31 and a half. Because I don't have the peep height I need. I can still shoot it well but I'm buying a new bow here in a month. And I'm talking from a guy who made the same mistake.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Ok so I am a 29 inch draw, I’m comfortable at 29 where my arm isn’t locked out and I can get a consistent grip. With that said, I’ve been trying to shoot my thumb with a surprise release back tension instead of punching the thumb trigger. I use a bowmar nose button as a anchor point.

1.) At your DL you don’t belong in a bow that short, especially as a new archer. 32+” axle to axle would make a world of different for comfort, fit, and repeatability.

2.) You are going to struggle to not develop serious target panic if you already punch the trigger. I’d venture to say you probably don’t know what a true surprise release is supposed to feel like. Most people don’t until they have a hinge/tension activation release.

3.) The nose button is awesome, but if you have to drop your head to hit that anchor, see step 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of this talk about ATA I don't think is exactly sound. The size of the cams on a lot of these bows with the parallel limbs create a bow that handles much more like a long bow than a short bow. The riser is the length of a long ata bow, the limbs come straight back to the shooter but have giant cams on them that give a string angle comparable to a longer bow.

A given bow design, the longer ATA is going to be more forgiving. But you can't compare ATA across the board between bows.

wapitibob

WKR
Since you already bought the bow, you can increase the bows draw length to get the string back to your nose so you aren’t dipping your head to make contact. The problem will be getting the loop short enough to not have the draw arm rotated beyond center. The short neck version of the perfect can help but it’s not the best solution.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 27 and have a 29 inch draw.

Try going with more of a high wrist grip where it feels like the only part of your hand that's in contact with the grip is the web between thumb and index finger.

Others are correct that the shop should have recommended a more suitable bow for a beginner. I have many years of shooting behind me and regularly practice at 80 yards or more, the little 27 is great compact package but not the easiest bow to shoot consistently due to string angle, a2a and brace height. I love it for what I intend to do with with it but there are definitely easier shooting bows to learn with.

I shoot a spot hogg wiseguy index release, with my Creed & Hoyt it's laser beams all day long. With the 27 I'm about 90-95% as accurate as I'd like to be.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
It's a pretty simple fix. You just need to re adjust your peep to line up with your anchor point with the thumb release. Draw your bow with your eyes closed and come to your comfortable anchor point. Open your eyes and you will instantly see if the peep needs to raise or lower. If the draw length was set correct when you bought the bow there is really no other issue other than the peep needs to be moved.

I will agree to to certain extent on the ata. Back 15 years ago a good rule of thumb was whatever you draw length was at 4 to 5" of ata to select a bow model that would fit best for hunting. (15 years ago was around the time we started to see ata's shrink and limbs become more parallel) Today I would say a bow with 3 to 4" longer is a good place to select a bow. Currently I am shooting a traverse at 30.25" and it fits me well, would not want to go any shorter as I have shot a vxr 31.5 an it is out of my comfort/fits me correctly zone. Mathews with their very long risers and very large cams tend to surprise you how well they fit. For example my traverse has a slightly better string angle than my rx4 ultra and a much better string angle than my old black 5. Short brace heights also sharpen up a string angle..
A few bows that would fit your draw length well if you are a 29" draw would be....
Vxr 31.5 at the Short end of the scale
Traverse (there's a reason these bows are in very high demand)
Pse nxt 33 or whatever the current 33 or 32 ata model is with the big cam
Hoyt 33
Bowtech revolt-x....
You get the idea.
Now if you're wanting a purpose built type bow for very tight quarters or a ground blind this is where the midget bow is great, keeping shots un 40 type deal.

Also keep in mind the engage grip can be pretty finicky, coupled with a 6" brace height and short ata it will keep you on you toes. Side plates or an ultraview grip can help tighten things up a bit on most mathews models.

Reactions: Zac

Rob5589

WKR
Post some pics of yourself at anchor; sides, rear, full body. Even better, see a coach for some help. That release isn't causing inconsistency, you are.

Jimbob

WKR
1. FInd a coach
2. scour the internet and learn as much as you can about shot execution and form.

School of Nock on youtube is a good resource

If you are anywhere near Atlanta go see George Ryals. He gives lessons at his archery shop. He taught me how to get a surprise release with a thumb button. https://www.extramiddle.com/

Apparently he is doing online coaching now. I won't throw anyone under the bus here but I'm curious how it goes.

Wait to see the take away. I might sign up for a class myself. Means I'll need to learn a little more computer skills. I believe it's money well spent, assuming you aren't a hard headed bastard like I frequently am.

Zac

WKR
Apparently he is doing online coaching now. I won't throw anyone under the bus here but I'm curious how it goes.

Wait to see the take away. I might sign up for a class myself. Means I'll need to learn a little more computer skills. I believe it's money well spent, assuming you aren't a hard headed bastard like I frequently am.
He also allows you to fly into Atlanta and go directly to him, he's not far from the airport.