Release Maintenance

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider

He dropped his bow really hard, this got me thinking. He mentions taking the release apart to do maintenance and perhaps this could have avoided the problem. Are release failures just an accepted part of the archery/bow hunting process or are their steps one can take to avoid this? Watching anyone punch themselves in the face then drop a 2k dollar fully kited bow is hard to stomach.

ZDR

WKR
I watched that and it made me cringe, for him and the bow...

Routine maintenance for my two releases is only cleaning and lubing. I'm curious as to what else should be done as well...

Rob5589

WKR
Pow! Curious what actually failed in the release. Broken or just worn out?

ZDR

WKR
ya, I wish he would have shown what broke. The Perfex release is really well built release so would be good to understand what he should have done differently to prevent that from happening

cjdewese

WKR
Saw that and admittedly pull my bow back a little more careful now. I am sure he will do an in depth video of what happened and why it failed. Seeing the bow bounce the way it did sucked.

Norm555

WKR
I have a couple carter releases and you can send those back to them to replace the springs and do a full cleaning. I believe it is about $30 and well worth it in my opinion. Makes sense to do it every so often if you use it a lot.

TX_Diver

WKR
This was floating around social media a week ago or so.

x3gMYknh.jpg

I try to draw slightly offline of my face. Hopefully it helps!

Steve1662

FNG
Yeah have been pull a bit wider after watching that too. And I hope he does a 'what happened' video too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I recently took apart a Carter Revolution that was hanging up on me. The sear had some wear on it so polished it and it’s consistent again. The internals seem pretty simple and not much to mess up, went back together easy, wonder what went wrong with his, ive punched myself a few times over the years, all my fault 😊

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using my index release for 15 years and 1000's shots each year without maintenance or issue. But the first time it does malfunction will be its last.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Recently took my Carter Chocolate Lite apart for a thorough cleaning. I had noticed a little bit of a hang up in the shot one in a while.

Pretty simple inside and definitely filthy. Cleaned up everything and shoots like new now. Probably need to make it an annual thing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Stan used to use a coating on their sears that would flake off, no idea if they ever put it on the perfex. Mine doesn't have it.

BTShooter

FNG
Unless I got caught in a downpour, I didn't even lube my releases. Never had an issue. Wonder what happened here.