Reliable non-dialing scope

I have 3 Leupold's and never had to re-zero them. I don't know what people are doing to have to. It can't be that big of a problem or people wouldn't buy them and they sell a ton. For a non dialing scope they are awesome. They have great glass and about the lightest weight of any scope.

Nightoforce nxs is often said to be bombproof in that mag range.

Many people who use maven rs2 love them, myself included. It's lightweight, great clarity and low light res, and holds zero. I use mine for dialing also. However, I haven't seen it participated in the drop tests that pop up on rokslide frequently.

BCD

WKR
I have 3 Leupold's and never had to re-zero them. I don't know what people are doing to have to. It can't be that big of a problem or people wouldn't buy them and they sell a ton. For a non dialing scope they are awesome. They have great glass and about the lightest weight of any scope.
They are also known to be very unreliable.

I have had several and never had one maintain zero for a year… seems like they were always shifting a little, my last one being the worst

I have had several and never had one maintain zero for a year… seems like they were always shifting a little, my last one being the worst

That's interesting. The five I currently own haven't had to be re-zeroed at all the past 10 years, and one of those gets the hell beat out of it 6 months a year.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Z3 4-12x50 Plex…..10+ yrs and never touched it. Low light is great, clarity is great, price is reasonable. Tough to beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutdoorAg

WKR
Picking up a Zeiss V4 3-12x44 to see if it fits this bill.

30mm tube instead of the old 1" variety of the conquest/V3 line from leupold.

Not sure if that will matter with long term durability, but I'm going to give it a shot

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It's a legit question, and seems to be an unpopular category of scopes...like, more than lowest-common denominator, but not so trendy as the long-range crowd wants. I had similar criteria, short-to medium range (400yds or a bit more at the range), reliable, can do drops. And like you, It seemed like every range trip I'd have to re-zero my leupold scopes, and chase a zero around while doing it, just enough that it got in my head. I've been casually looking for a couple years and still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Personally, I'd prefer to dial but have not been able to find the combination of reliability, dial-ability, magnification range and most importantly the reticle I like. I was set on getting a NF NXS 2-10x42 but they stopped making all of the reticles I liked and couldnt find one used, so that got crossed off the list. An SHV 3-10 was high on the list, but I wanted some way to handle drops without unscrewing a turret cap. I ended up getting a schmidt and bender klassic 3-12x42 this winter with a p3 reticle. Being ffp its still possible to use the reticle for drops, which was one of my main complaints with the 2fp hashed reticles, but it's still very uncluttered and useable at lowest power--it's a bit finer than I'd like for use in the woods where I hunt a lot, but doable and the thick portion of the crosshairs is sufficiently close to center to keep it manageable in this regard. clarity and low-light performance is very good--pretty exceptional compared to other scopes I've owned. If I decide I really want a turret after using it more I can get one added for a couple hundred $. Basic tracking while zeroing (quick ladder test) was flawless. I havent used it enough to really speak to durability other than the brand seems to have a reasonable (not stellar, but reasonable) reputation among the crowd that talks about durability. If you do dial there isnt a ton of elevation in this scope, but with your wsm should get you out plenty far, mine's on a 7mm08 and from specs should get me close to 600 without any built-in elevation. Price was in the mid-range of other scopes I was looking at.
Nice to hear, I just ordered that scope and am waiting for it to arrive.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
It's a legit question, and seems to be an unpopular category of scopes...like, more than lowest-common denominator, but not so trendy as the long-range crowd wants. I had similar criteria, short-to medium range (400yds or a bit more at the range), reliable, can do drops. And like you, It seemed like every range trip I'd have to re-zero my leupold scopes, and chase a zero around while doing it, just enough that it got in my head. I've been casually looking for a couple years and still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Personally, I'd prefer to dial but have not been able to find the combination of reliability, dial-ability, magnification range and most importantly the reticle I like. I was set on getting a NF NXS 2-10x42 but they stopped making all of the reticles I liked and couldnt find one used, so that got crossed off the list. An SHV 3-10 was high on the list, but I wanted some way to handle drops without unscrewing a turret cap. I ended up getting a schmidt and bender klassic 3-12x42 this winter with a p3 reticle. Being ffp its still possible to use the reticle for drops, which was one of my main complaints with the 2fp hashed reticles, but it's still very uncluttered and useable at lowest power--it's a bit finer than I'd like for use in the woods where I hunt a lot, but doable and the thick portion of the crosshairs is sufficiently close to center to keep it manageable in this regard. clarity and low-light performance is very good--pretty exceptional compared to other scopes I've owned. If I decide I really want a turret after using it more I can get one added for a couple hundred $. Basic tracking while zeroing (quick ladder test) was flawless. I havent used it enough to really speak to durability other than the brand seems to have a reasonable (not stellar, but reasonable) reputation among the crowd that talks about durability. If you do dial there isnt a ton of elevation in this scope, but with your wsm should get you out plenty far, mine's on a 7mm08 and from specs should get me close to 600 without any built-in elevation. Price was in the mid-range of other scopes I was looking at.
Great scopes, I have two of the precision hunters with the elevation dials and they just flat work. only 20 ounces as well.

OP
G

gclubb02

FNG
Ended up going with a swfa 3-9 and just dealing with the weight and dialing. So far seems like an awesome scope and when sighting in my poi seemed to shift way more predictably than any of my leupolds so no complaints there

KenLee

WKR
I’m loling that I cant ask a legitimate question on my own thread without getting smart comments. Reason I asked is I don’t know you, i dont know what your scopes go through, you could have had it for a season and hunted with it 3 times or you could be like others here and drop test your stuff and beat on it. I just don’t know. Thats why I asked. I’m just sort of tired of having to re zero my leupolds what seems like every couple times I shoot the gun. So I want something that has proven itself to hold zero. I’m also the type of person who likes to hear reasons why someone likes a particular scope and what they like about it. Not just scope suggestions with no reasoning
Rezero Leupolds every couple times you shoot?
Never heard of such in 45 years of using Leos and zeroing probably 500 for other hunters.
When they go bad, they're bad in my experience.
Not the best scopes out there optically, but pretty dang dependable.
The newer fancy Leos must have ran off in the ditch.
I'd agree with the comments above on Accupoints for the price point. I have a couple family members set up with them. They are both riding 300wsm x-bolts.

If you can legally hunt an hour after sunset, go with 2.5-10x56.
If only 30 minutes, go with the 3-9x40.

Nightoforce nxs is often said to be bombproof in that mag range.

Many people who use maven rs2 love them, myself included. It's lightweight, great clarity and low light res, and holds zero. I use mine for dialing also. However, I haven't seen it participated in the drop tests that pop up on rokslide frequently.
Curious how tracking has been for you? Also looking at the RS2 and would like to have the option to dial if needed.