Reloader 22

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Making up some new loads for my tikka 7mm shooting accubond 160. I have this powder which I see is pretty common.
I guess my question is I have read that it can be unstable. Don’t really understand it but I see it keep popping up. I live in the coastal mountains but will be hunting the high elevations for my lies over east.

Is this something to consider with this powder? I have heard that it’s temperature related issues.

Anyway figured I’d ask and see what your thoughts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I live over in Cottage Grove and hunt towards the coast and over the cascades, I use this powder in my wifes 300 Weatherby and have never had an issue so far anyway. farthest she's ever shot it is 500 yards so maybe at longer ranges you'd see more variation??

Rob5589

WKR
I never saw any significant changes or issues using it from the 40's to well over 100 degrees. This is with over max loads in a 7RM.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent experiences with RL22 in the big 7&30s. I have taken a lot of game with it.

Most every gun I have tried it in, has been easy to develope a reload for it. Personally, I have never experienced any unstable tendencies.

Biggest problem for me is finding it in-stock. I guess imports of it have dried up during the global pandemic. I have held off doing any range sessions due to being worried about not having components to build hunting rounds.

Anyone know where it can be purchased?

jmp300wsm

FNG
I use it in a 257 wby mag and a 7 mag and it has worked very well from 10 degrees to 100 degrees.

2five7

WKR
I wouldn't say that it's unstable, just not as stable as some of the newer powders that are specifically designed for temp stability. I used it in a 264 am for a few seasons and found it stable enough from right around freezing up to 80 degrees. Any higher swings than that and I'd maybe look at something else.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I grew up loading and testing 175gr Partitions and A-frames over RL22 in the summer heat of Southern Colorado, then using them for hunting the cold rifle seasons at high elevation. I never had a single problem with any variations. They always hit where they were supposed to. I have 3lbs of RL22 that I would sell if someone wants to come pick it up.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up loading and testing 175gr Partitions and A-frames over RL22 in the summer heat of Southern Colorado, then using them for hunting the cold rifle seasons at high elevation. I never had a single problem with any variations. They always hit where they were supposed to. I have 3lbs of RL22 that I would sell if someone wants to come pick it up.
5M I am interested and can have someone meet you for face2face purchase.

PM sent...I think (new to the forum and still learning)

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe another way to think about it if you believe the values out there on the internet about RL22 fps/degree F being 1.71. That's about a 85 fps difference with a 50 degree temp swing. If I'm thinking about it correctly...at 500 yards with my 300 WM Tikka that means a .2 mil difference in dialing with the muzzle velocity increase/decrease. If it's shooting 5" groups at 500, is that 3.6" going to result in not killing an animal?

I decided to use a Hodgdon Extreme powder for the better temp stability but also never gave RL22 and RL23 a fair shake. H4831SC was available and shot great out of my Tikka during the first 100 rounds so I bought more. If you have RL22 to try, do it.

Educate me if I said something wrong here.

Last edited:

280ack

FNG
Sir, I believe as others have mentioned that the UNSTABLE references you have read about are referring to temperature swings. Loads developed at 30 deg F may be significantly higher in pressure at 80-90 degrees.

I use RL22 in a 280AI, very similar ballistically to the 7mm rem mag. I developed that load and both shot & tested the cartridges in 30-40 degree days for use in climates where 30-40 deg days were expected.

This powder has given me good velocities and very good groups, 3025 fps and 5/8" 5 shots at 100 yds with 160 gr partitions.

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome guys thank you. I am hoping to get out this week and run some different charges. Finally burnt through the mass of accubonds I had for this gun. Time to make one for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Maybe another way to think about it if you believe the values out there on the internet about RL22 fps/degree F being 1.71. That's about a 85 fps difference with a 50 degree temp swing. If I'm thinking about it correctly...at 500 yards with my 300 WM Tikka that means a .2 mil difference in dialing with the muzzle velocity increase/decrease. If it's shooting 5" groups at 500, is that .72" really going to be noticeable and will it result in not killing an animal?

I decided to use a Hodgdon Extreme powder for the better temp stability but also never gave RL22 and RL23 a fair shake. H4831SC was available and shot great out of my Tikka during the first 100 rounds so I bought more. If you have RL22 to try, do it.

Educate me if I said something wrong here.

Yes it will because your math is wrong.

3.6" MV change at 500 could put you off of a 1 MOA gun at 500 = 5.235" plus 3.6 = 8.835" off your Point of aim if your on the outside edge of what the gun is truely capable of. To me thats pretty siginificant.

at 500 1 mil = 18". divided by 10 to be tenths = 1.8". times 2 for 2 tenths = 3.6"

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it will because your math is wrong.

3.6" MV change at 500 could put you off of a 1 MOA gun at 500 = 5.235" plus 3.6 = 8.835" off your Point of aim if your on the outside edge of what the gun is truely capable of. To me thats pretty siginificant.

at 500 1 mil = 18". divided by 10 to be tenths = 1.8". times 2 for 2 tenths = 3.6"
See, figured I did something wrong by forgetting to multiply by 5.

Wouldn’t hurt to grab some H4831sc, it’d probably do well. I’ve been messing around with a 7RM, a few hundred rounds shot the past couple months. I’ve got a similar thing in my head - IMR4350 shoots like a laser but I like the idea of temp stability. I’ve heard of guys just taking some rounds and putting them in an ice bath and compare to ones in the heat to see if it matters. It’s probably more of a marketing gimmick since most of us hunt within a 40 degree spread and kill under 300 yds but fun to learn. Let me know what you find out.