Reloading Equipment Suggestions

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,

Like the title says i'm looking for reloading equipment suggestions. I recently had a 300 RUM built and am going to build loads for it eventually when I buy some gear. My buddies dad reloads a ton and can show me the ropes but i'm looking for my own equipment. So what would you guys suggest for a beginner? I have money to spend so it doesn't need to be lower end gear necessarily . If you guys were to start fresh what would you buy? Also any loads you guys have created or what a good starting point to go off of? And any books of guides you buys would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep Wrong spot, Can an Admin move it to Reloading forum?

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Forster Co-Ax press , Lee Collet Neck die with a Redding body die and a Forster micrometer seating die or Whiddon bushing neck die sets , a Scott Parker tuned beam scale ( tel:661-364-1199 , vld223@ yahoo.com ) Scott can be slow to answer and ship but the scale will be right , Wilson trimmer and VLD chamfer tool with appropriate case holders , Lee decapping die , Brown and Sharpe Swiss made dial calipers or Japanese made Mitutoyo calipers 6” size .001” , Hornady bullet comparator set and OAL gauge and appropriate cases , Frankfort Arsenal SS media tumbler kit , Lee perfect powder measure. That’s just off the top of my head. If not the Co-Ad then a Lee Classic Cast press. If not the Whiddon dies then Redding type S. I personally use Redding body bump dies and Lee Collet Neck dies and Forster seating dies.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a Rock Chucker Supreme press and love it. I was given the advice to not buy a kit when I first started. That was the best advice that I got. So, don't waste your money on a kit, manual powder thrower, trickler, or OAL gauge. You can spend the money that you don't waste on that stuff and buy more components.

Good luck and happy grouping.

Shrek

WKR
I bought a Rock Chucker Supreme press and love it. I was given the advice to not buy a kit when I first started. That was the best advice that I got. So, don't waste your money on a kit, manual powder thrower, trickler, or OAL gauge. You can spend the money that you don't waste on that stuff and buy more components.

Are you saying that manual powder throwers , tricklers , and OAL gauges are a waste of money ? If so I strongly disagree.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Are you saying that manual powder throwers , tricklers , and OAL gauges are a waste of money ? If so I strongly disagree.

Yep. Would've been a waste for me to have bought that stuff for it to have just sat there cause I would've quickly upgraded. Glad I didn't go that route.

Savage99

WKR

I added up what I think I would need and it looked like even with stuff in the kit that I wouldn’t want, it looked like I’d come out ahead with the kit. Goes to show how important advice from more experienced guys is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I added up what I think I would need and it looked like even with stuff in the kit that I wouldn’t want, it looked like I’d come out ahead with the kit. Goes to show how important advice from more experienced guys is.

It definitely helped me out and saved a good bit too.

Shrek

WKR
Yep. Would've been a waste for me to have bought that stuff for it to have just sat there cause I would've quickly upgraded. Glad I didn't go that route.
You upgraded ? You measure your distance to lands how ? You bought an electronic scale that never drifts or breaks ? You’ve owned several different presses over the years so you have experience with different presses to compare them to each other ? Please post your specific equipment list.

rayporter

WKR
I get a lot of use from an rcbs charge master - every load does not need to be weighed to the kernel.
but, man there are some fancy scales out there now.

- - - Updated - - -

shrek
did you see they are having a florida 600 yd state championship at manatee in jan.

I have shot there in feb and had ice on the water hose.

Shrek

WKR
I get a lot of use from an rcbs charge master - every load does not need to be weighed to the kernel.
but, man there are some fancy scales out there now.

- - - Updated - - -

shrek
did you see they are having a florida 600 yd state championship at manatee in jan.

I have shot there in feb and had ice on the water hose.
No I had not paid attention. I’m going to check out the dates and see if I can travel down and watch and learn.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You upgraded ? You measure your distance to lands how ? You bought an electronic scale that never drifts or breaks ? You’ve owned several different presses over the years so you have experience with different presses to compare them to each other ? Please post your specific equipment list.

I bought what I wanted from the start, so didn't need to upgrade. I measure the distance to the lands with my cleaning rod. I use a RCBS Chargemaster and have been very pleased with it. I've only owned one press, a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme.

I hate that what has worked for me rubs you the wrong way for some reason. If you like kits and never upgrade from them, then by all means buy a kit. Heck, buy several different kits if it makes you happy.

Billinsd

WKR
I bought the RCBS kit and returned it after talking with Scott Parker. I bought a tuned beam scale and RCBS press, and primer tool from him. He also gave me advise on other stuff to buy. He's a chemist and competion shooter, and a real sharp guy. I don't know how much money I saved if any, but I'm happy with what I have. Nothing wrong with a kit, but I'm glad I purchased things individually with the advise of Scott and others.

Shrek

WKR
I bought what I wanted from the start, so didn't need to upgrade. I measure the distance to the lands with my cleaning rod. I use a RCBS Chargemaster and have been very pleased with it. I've only owned one press, a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme.

I hate that what has worked for me rubs you the wrong way for some reason. If you like kits and never upgrade from them, then by all means buy a kit. Heck, buy several different kits if it makes you happy.
I see you either didn’t read my equipment list or are just a troll. Nothing about my list is a kit. I owned a Rockchucker and it was a good enough press. Nothing wrong with a Chargemaster but it’s electric and will break sooner or later. A tuned balance scale will always work unless you damage it. No , you don’t always need to weigh every powder charge to the kernel but it’s there when you need it with a tuned beam scale. I threw 50 30-30 loads the other day as that was plenty accurate for the use and rifle.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I see you either didn’t read my equipment list or are just a troll. Nothing about my list is a kit. I owned a Rockchucker and it was a good enough press. Nothing wrong with a Chargemaster but it’s electric and will break sooner or later. A tuned balance scale will always work unless you damage it. No , you don’t always need to weigh every powder charge to the kernel but it’s there when you need it with a tuned beam scale. I threw 50 30-30 loads the other day as that was plenty accurate for the use and rifle.

If you didn't want answers, then don't ask the questions. I don't know how answering your questions is trolling. I would quit reloading if I had to use a beam scale.

Savage99

WKR
If you didn't want answers, then don't ask the questions. I don't know how answering your questions is trolling. I would quit reloading if I had to use a beam scale.

To clarify, are saying you wouldn’t want to reload at all, or just higher volume rounds like handgun? I plan to start with a balance beam for low volume hunting rounds.

Of course, I only know what I think I know. I haven’t started yet.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m another that personally hate beam scales. Hornady makes a great little digital scale that has a check weight to make sure it is calibrated, I used it for a while and always checked to make sure it passed the calibration test before using. I have since upgraded to a better system but for a beginner I highly recommend that. I also think a powder trickler is a required tool otherwise you will constantly be dumping out and rethrowing a powder load especially when you do the more manual process with lower priced equipment.

N2TRKYS

WKR
To clarify, are saying you wouldn’t want to reload at all, or just higher volume rounds like handgun? I plan to start with a balance beam for low volume hunting rounds.

Of course, I only know what I think I know. I haven’t started yet.

You'll see folks give a lot of love to beam scales and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, it's just too slow. I only load rifle hunting rounds, but the electron dispenser/measurer is a game changer to me.

If I was loading high volume stuff, I'd look at progressive type press. I have no personal experience with them, though.

If you can, sit down with someone locally and watch them load some rounds and see what items that you may or may not want. The main point about the kit deal that I'm referring to is tring to buy what you'll wind up getting later on the first time. I hope that makes sense.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I don’t try to reload as fast as I can, I find it very relaxing/enjoyable and it doesn’t bug me to not find quicker ways to reload. But I do prefer electronic scales.