Reloading guys I need some input.

grfox92

WKR
After shooting terrible on my antelope hunt and leaving for an elk hunt this weekend I just went out and shot my 308 at 200 yards. I'm 8-10" low which has me scratching my head because the gun seemed on when I took a few shots at paper while at camp 2 weeks ago.

I have 15, 150 grain Remington Core Lokt left and no good hunting ammo on the shelves around me. I'm going to attempt to get the gun dialed, but with work I am pressed for daylight before I leave.

In the event I can't get the gun to dialed with the CLs I have a few boxes of reloads my uncle made me. I know it's a slow burning powder which is why I haven't bothered with them, but I may have to use them if some of you experience reloaders give me the green light. I know very little about reloading but I do know the powder he is using makes for slower then normal velocities from what I remember.

The loads are as follows.

Charge Weight - 27.5
Powder - SR-4759
Bullet - 150 grain Hornady SST

Will this load be adequate for elk? Should I keep it close range if it is or do I really need to make these last few Core Lokts work?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
was the 8-10" low a good group? any chance you forgot to dial back down after shooting it last (or perhaps the knob got adjusted by mistake)? scope/mount come loose? is it zeroed at the 200 yds, if zeroed at 100 it would be 2-3" low at 300, but not your 8-10.

as long as you know the trajectory of the reloads, the actual speed (slow v fast) isn't a huge deal, but you should chrono and input that and bullet weight, bc, etc into a ballistics program so you at least have decent intel on the expected drops at various distances.

i don't think the sst is the best choice for elk, but surely they've been killed with .22s and fmj and the like. the sst is advertised as explosive which may not give great penetration. of course shot placement trumps everything.

No way I’d take those reloads for an elk hunt. That’s a reduced recoil load. Look for load data using that powder in a 308. It’s just not suitable.
I’d make sure everything on the gun is correct. Rings, bases, scope, action screws and that’s it’s freefloated.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
SR-4759 looks like a powder that was commonly used for reduced loads. My guess is the speed on those loads would be around 2300fps according to some old data I found. I wouldn't use them for elk.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
was the 8-10" low a good group? any chance you forgot to dial back down after shooting it last (or perhaps the knob got adjusted by mistake)? scope/mount come loose? is it zeroed at the 200 yds, if zeroed at 100 it would be 2-3" low at 300, but not your 8-10.

as long as you know the trajectory of the reloads, the actual speed (slow v fast) isn't a huge deal, but you should chrono and input that and bullet weight, bc, etc into a ballistics program so you at least have decent intel on the expected drops at various distances.

i don't think the sst is the best choice for elk, but surely they've been killed with .22s and fmj and the like. the sst is advertised as explosive which may not give great penetration. of course shot placement trumps everything.
No I don't dial the scope at all. It was zeroed at 200. For a little more context....

I shot the gun all summer with mil surplus loads. Hundreds of rounds. Before I went on my antelope hunt I took 2 shots with the core lockts and they were hitting with my surplus loads so I called it good. I should have shot more of the ammo I was hunting with, but I can't get it, and they hit with the fmjs I had been shooting for those 2 shots, so I called it good.

I am very new to rifle hunting. Been shooting guns my whole life, but I'm from back east so never longer ranges then 100 yards. I'm traditionally I compound bowhunter. So this is all new to me.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
No way I’d take those reloads for an elk hunt. That’s a reduced recoil load. Look for load data using that powder in a 308. It’s just not suitable.
I’d make sure everything on the gun is correct. Rings, bases, scope, action screws and that’s it’s freefloated.
That's what I was thinking. Glad I asked. Thanks.

Rob5589

WKR
No I don't dial the scope at all. It was zeroed at 200. For a little more context....

I shot the gun all summer with mil surplus loads. Hundreds of rounds. Before I went on my antelope hunt I took 2 shots with the core lockts and they were hitting with my surplus loads so I called it good. I should have shot more of the ammo I was hunting with, but I can't get it, and they hit with the fmjs I had been shooting for those 2 shots, so I called it good.

I am very new to rifle hunting. Been shooting guns my whole life, but I'm from back east so never longer ranges then 100 yards. I'm traditionally I compound bowhunter. So this is all new to me.

Sounds like you didn't get the gun dialed in with the Rem rounds vs the mil surp stuff. I wouldn't use that light loaded stuff, either. You have options available but it probably won't be cheap.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Sounds like you didn't get the gun dialed in with the Rem rounds vs the mil surp stuff. I wouldn't use that light loaded stuff, either. You have options available but it probably won't be cheap.
That's what I'm thinking. My mistake. I dug though my stuff and found some more cor Lokts. I have 21 I should have plenty to get dialed back in and hunt this weekend.

I did find some $60 a box No Nosler premium .308, but I'm putting the .308 away after this hunt and switching to my .270 as my go to rifle for next year.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
How did you shoot terrible this year for antelope?

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
How did you shoot terrible this year for antelope?

I appreciate the links for the ammo, but I leave Thursday night for my elk hunt.

On my antelope, the first shot I had a rock solid rest, completely calm, took my time and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt good but was a clean miss. The next shot was broadside at 210 yards. I hit her in front leg high in the shank just below the shoulder blade essentially blowing her leg off. She spun 360 dgrees in place. I racked another one and aimed center of the vitals when she wound up broad side. Slightly uphill shot and I hit here with a perfect heart shot. Not where I was aiming but thankfully ended it quickly.

I took six shots at 200 yards after work today and 4 out of six were 8-10 inches low. The other 2 we're closer to where they should have been, but I was underdressed and cold and figure I pulled those 2.

sndmn11

WKR
I appreciate the links for the ammo, but I leave Thursday night for my elk hunt.

On my antelope, the first shot I had a rock solid rest, completely calm, took my time and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt good but was a clean miss. The next shot was broadside at 210 yards. I hit her in front leg high in the shank just below the shoulder blade essentially blowing her leg off. She spun 360 dgrees in place. I racked another one and aimed center of the vitals when she wound up broad side. Slightly uphill shot and I hit here with a perfect heart shot. Not where I was aiming but thankfully ended it quickly.

I took six shots at 200 yards after work today and 4 out of six were 8-10 inches low. The other 2 we're closer to where they should have been, but I was underdressed and cold and figure I pulled those 2.

Ship them to your hunt destination.

It sounds more like a rifle problem with four shots today in one group and two shots elsewhere.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Ship them to your hunt destination.

It sounds more like a rifle problem with four shots today in one group and two shots elsewhere.
I checked the barrel for free float a little while ago with a dollar bill and it was tight at the top. Ripped the dollar. I took the gun down and sanded the inside of the stock and checked for fitment until the bill was sliding clean along the barrel. Last time I took the gun down I was good, wood stock maybe warped?

What brand of rifle and scope? Also did you adjust the scope after the 6 shots today? I would recommend adjust your elevation about 10” and then firing 2 shots and see where they hit. If anymore adjustments are needed make them and then fire 3 more shots and see where they hit. I would set those 150CL about 2” high at 100.

I checked the barrel for free float a little while ago with a dollar bill and it was tight at the top. Ripped the dollar. I took the gun down and sanded the inside of the stock and checked for fitment until the bill was sliding clean along the barrel. Last time I took the gun down I was good, wood stock maybe warped?

It could have warped but I’m guessing it’s not bedded. Did you tighten the action screws equally last time you removed the barreled action?
What I do with a non bedded stock is place the barreled action in the stock. Start both the action screws in the threads a turn or 2. Stand the rifle vertical on the butt of the stock. Tighten the front screw a few turns then the back screw. Then back to the front for final tightening and then the back screw for final tightening.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What brand of rifle and scope? Also did you adjust the scope after the 6 shots today? I would recommend adjust your elevation about 10” and then firing 2 shots and see where they hit. If anymore adjustments are needed make them and then fire 3 more shots and see where they hit. I would set those 150CL about 2” high at 100.
It's a Win M70 post 64 and a Vortex Diamondback. I know, I know, but it's the best I could afford at the time. I have a Viper 3.5-10 on order for my 270 and am looking at an Athalon to replace the Vortex..

All I plan on doing is going to100 yards and getting the gun 2" high then taking shots at distance and should be good. The gun was dialed with the FMJ. I didn't make any adjustments because I was running out of daylight fast and went looking for more ammo. I will update later tonite after work. I'm going to try and get dialed.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
It could have warped but I’m guessing it’s not bedded. Did you tighten the action screws equally last time you removed the barreled action?
What I do with a non bedded stock is place the barreled action in the stock. Start both the action screws in the threads a turn or 2. Stand the rifle vertical on the butt of the stock. Tighten the front screw a few turns then the back screw. Then back to the front for final tightening and then the back screw for final tightening.
I believe I tightened alternating front to back. But I can't remember. I tried loosening the screws and retigjtening to get the barrel free floating before I sanded and couldn't get the barrel to float at the top which is why I resorted to sanding.

Last edited:
It's a Win M70 post 64 and a Vortex Diamondback. I know, I know, but it's the best I could afford at the time. I have a Viper 3.5-10 on order for my 270 and am looking at an Athalon to replace the Vortex..

All I plan on doing is going to100 yards and getting the gun 2" high then taking shots at distance and should be good. The gun was dialed with the FMJ. I didn't make any adjustments because I was running out of daylight fast and went looking for more ammo. I will update later tonite after work. I'm going to try and get dialed.

Sounds like a good plan. I would make an adjustment to your scope today before firing any more rounds as it’s clear the CL are hitting much lower. I’d go at least 8” but probably 10” according to your shots from yesterday.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for not using SST. The design of the bullet is not ideal for a bigger animal such as elk. I was able to shop at Scheels for 180gr Interlock bullets and thats my backup rifle load for deer and elk this year.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP