Reloading HELP!

MSHJR

FNG
Guys, I am some what new to reloading. I am loaded various rounds without problem. But I am having problems with my 243AI. I have the Redding die set. My problem is the bullet (108 grain berger VLD) is falling into the case. I have fire formed about 90 rounds. Here is my reloading process.

De prime brass with hand tool
Clean brass in wet tumbler
Aneal brass
Re size brass in Full body die ( I also ran this die without the expander ball in and with it in)
wipe off brass with alcohol wipe.
Prime brass with hand priming tool
load brass with powder
seat bullet into case

I use this same process with all my calibers

The only thing I can think of doing wrong is When I aneal my brass I was dropping them in to water. but I have done this with other calibers and no problem. So I anealed some brass again and let them air cooled and same problem. Please any help of why I am having neck tension problems would be great need to get this gun and load dialed in.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Get some neck measurements with your calipers - before firing, after firing, before/after sizing, before/after annealing. That might show you where the problem is.

Have you used the full body die on other bullets with success?

You can take some pretty quick measurements with your calipers.
1. bullet diameter
2. outside the case mouth diameter
3a. wall thickness
3b. inside the case mouth diameter

As with all troubleshooting you're trying to isolate the problem. Here, either the bullet's too small or the case mouth is too big. Which is it, and what's causing it? The measurements above will help get you there.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Using the Type S-Match Die set Full Die set
Yeah you need a bushing in the top of your sizing die. It's easiest if you can measure OD of the case neck on a loaded round and then subtract .002" (unless you're seeking a different amount of tension), but if you don't have a loaded round you can mic the wall thickness, that # x 2, + caliber size, - .002" = bushing size. I might get yelled at for this but if you don't have a mic just use the sharp end of your calipers and don't measure crazy deep to get thickness, BUT make sure the surfaces are clean, brush the inside of the necks, and measure at least 5 cases in at least 4 spots around the case mouth. Then use the equation. If you want to be sure you'll have tension - .003" off the total you come up with, and run the mouth over the expander ball.

For example loaded round = .271 OD of case neck, needs a .269 bushing for .002" neck tension.

or, avg case neck thickness = .014 x 2 = .028 + .243 = .271, -.002" = .269 bushing.

Heard good things about these bushings.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Or sell the type-S die and buy a standard FL sizing die. Mucho easier.

Using the Type S-Match Die set Full Die set
Like stated these require you to buy a bushing and they come in .001 increments. For most 243 you’re probably going to need a 269 or 270 bushing size. I would get the Ti bushing also.

Remhunter

FNG
I agree, with the others, no bushing in the die. Things like that happen to us all when we are new and even experienced! Cool thing about reloading is..... nobody knows everything and we are all constantly learning. When I first started loading for 45-70, I couldn't figure out why my bullets kept sliding through the case and wouldn't grab. After hours of frustration, my dad pointed out that I was loading .452 when I needed .458.... lesson learned!