Reloading Kits

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
Don't go with a kit. If you stick with reloading for any length of time you will want to upgrade the stuff in the kit to make the process faster and maybe more accurate. I would get a solid press like a rock chucker then get an RCBS chargemaster. I think I saw some at Natchez SS for like $250 here recently. They also make a chargemaster lite I have heard good things about. Then you'll just need calipers, dies, a way to trim cases (I like Lee pilot trimmers, simple, cheap, and quick), a cartridge tray/block, and your components to start loading. Don't forget a case tumbler too to clean your cases.

I would recommend hornady OAL comparator gauges so you can measure CBTO, trying to measure overall length will drive you nuts because it will hardly ever be consistent.

I would recommend a Hodgdon reloading manual. Once you get the gist of things (understand powder burn rates, and roughly how much powder a case should take), you'll probably turn to the internet for load data. However, as it goes with the internet, be careful taking anything someone claims as safe. I've had people give me charges that are impossible to fit in case before; just a word of caution.

Also, I would recommend checking our Panhandle Precision on YouTube. Sam Millard has an awesome series on load development.

Good luck, once you get a good load figured out you won't ever want to shoot factory stuff again!

I recently did the same deliberation. Honestly If you are looking at single stage press there is not enough difference to matter. I did go with the hornady lock n load because of the bushings and so far I'm glad I did. It is nice to easily switch between 22-250 and 280 dies as I'm developing loads for both at the same time. Also running a universal decapping die in one saves a lot of thredding.

16Bore

WKR
The Rockchucker kit will do it just fine, throw the chargmaster out the window. Learn how to set dies properly. Buy a trimmer.

It’s not that complicated.

RCBS kit at Sportsmans Warehouse for $299

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
It’s very likely a good setup. I would probably spend less on a different kit and add some measuring tools if I planned on loading rifle ammunition for accuracy. You will end up pulling your hair out at the range if you don’t have some tools that give you some reference. I personally still use most of the items from a rock chucker kit that I purchased in the late 90’s. That being said, I have 4 different presses set up on my bench. The rock chucker pulls bullets now days even though it was still making very accurate loads, it was definitely getting sloppy. I wouldn’t want to pull bullets with any of the other presses as they aren’t built as tough and I worry they might get damaged if you get what I’m trying to say

It’s very likely a good setup. I would probably spend less on a different kit and add some measuring tools if I planned on loading rifle ammunition for accuracy. You will end up pulling your hair out at the range if you don’t have some tools that give you some reference. I personally still use most of the items from a rock chucker kit that I purchased in the late 90’s. That being said, I have 4 different presses set up on my bench. The rock chucker pulls bullets now days even though it was still making very accurate loads, it was definitely getting sloppy. I wouldn’t want to pull bullets with any of the other presses as they aren’t built as tough and I worry they might get damaged if you get what I’m trying to say

Thanks for the reply! What from that kit would you sacrifice? That kit just had a lot of items in the range that I planned on getting individually.

I do have a cheap(er) set of digital calipers, but do plan on upgrading those as well.

All of my reloading has been done with a Lee kit with a few add-ons like a Hornady digital scale. None of the equipment is mine besides the scales and dies , and I recently moved an extra half an hour away, so I'm ready to get my own setup.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Well if I’m seeing it correctly, I would want to add a bullet concentricity gauge and comparator tool and the modified case if applicable. If you’re planning on using a bushing die, you will want a neck turning tool. I like to use two different tumblers, one for fired, one for prepped. Keeps it a little cleaner. I like to check small caliber powder charges with a beam scale after digital to keep things honest.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Even if I didn’t handload I would still own a bullet concentricity tool and maybe even the comparator. Might explain some fliers

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t get to worried right away, hardly any of the good powders are available. Weatherby calibers have a lot of free bore and without a good annealer, can be a challenge to keep neck tension consistent after a few loadings. I’ve got a chest cold and staying home from work so I don’t mind answering.Im in the process of remodeling my gun room and find I have to sit and rest more than get anything done lol

excaliber

WKR
I really like my RCBS Rock Chucker as well. It's been awesome and makes great ammo. I wouldn't but the kit. Buy the Press. Buy some good dies like Redding. I would stay away from Hornady or RCBS dies if you can.
I would buy those things first then look around here and other sites for some other items. To me one of the most important things is being able to weigh charges consistently every time. I have a FX-120i on the way to replace the Gempro 250 that failed.

A few caliber specific funnels, some Frankford loading blocks and some othe misc tools and you'll have a good start.
Having someone close by who's willing to help you get started and over the curve quickly would be a big help.
Read books and watch some Youtube videos. Panhandle precision has some really good videos and they are great.
Best of luck and be safe

Last edited: