Reloading Newb

Pretty much as title says, reloading newb looking to start rolling my own 6.5CM (I know I know I’m pretty much a sniper) and 30.06 (haven’t ordered 30.06 dies yet) for now.

I’m looking for a bit/ a lot of guidance as I start this journey because I don’t really know anyone that handloads. I have done some research of my own online (a fair bit on this forum as I’m a lurker and not much of a poster)/ watched some Panhandle Precision youtube videos because I found those easy to follow and very informative.

So now I think I’m ready to get a bench setup and I have started by ordering;

MEC Marksman and Press Base
Hornady Lock N Load Conversion Bushing
Hornady Lock N Load Die Bushing 3 pack
Hornady Shell Holder #2 - 3 pieces
LE Wilson 6.5CM Deluxe Die Set
Lee Universal Decapping Die
Area 419 Funnel w 6.5 head and 30.06 head
RCBS Chargemaster Combo

Is the Lock N Load system a gimmick or useful/ precise?

Can someone help fill in the dots on case prep/ trimming....

Plan is to use the MEC primarily for case prep and I plan on ordering a KM Precision arbor press to seat bullets. I have an email into Roger @ KM to see what else I’ll need for arbor press.

I have a micrometer on my normal workbench but plan on ordering another just so I can have dedicated reloading micrometer. Any advice here will be helpful as well.

Also going to snag a few Area 419 billet trays and Hornady case tumbler / media.

What’s the best primer seater? KM has a kit with primer seater/ pressure gauge but is almost $225 for the whole kit and while Id like to put a nice bench together that might be a bit excessive, if not please let me know.

I realize powder and primers are in high demand right now so I purchased 8lbs of Hodgdon H4350, 2,000 Federal Large Magnum Rifle Match Grade Primers and I have some once shot fire formed brass from each rifle. Looks like Hornady ELD-X is unobtanium so I snagged some EOL 156s as well. I plan on using the once fired Hornady brass and then might splurge on some Lapua or ADG brass. Any suggestions for other powder primer is welcomed.

Please let me know anything else I’m missing and happy hunting. I’ll be in the elk woods in less than a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I'm not sure why the large Magnum rifle. Large rifle should be more than plenty to light of a 30-06 charge. But I don't load for -06. If book says Magnum though, than ignore me.

I personally don't see much utility in the lock n load bushings. The time you spend screwing dies in and out is so minimal, especially on a machine like a Dillon (I know, not your case, but)

My routine for bench rest prep is as follows.
Deprime in a universal decap die, stainless steel chip wet tumble, anneal, trim if needed, chamfer & debur, size, if needed remove case lube, prime. For trimming, once the cases hit the trim length, you trim them .010 under whatever that is. I believe that's a pretty universal rule, but I could be wrong.

I've heard good things about the igaging brand tools on Amazon. There are always the tried and true machinist brands, brown and Sharpe, starrett, mitutoyo, etc. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Honestly, I use the Lee hand primer. You should be able to seat them all consistently enough by feel. Just don't go at it like one of those grip exercise things. The km one looks nice, 21st century makes some amazing stuff.

Ditch the Hornady brass. I was losing my Hornady creedmoor brass after 5 firings from loose pockets, using middle of the book loads. Hell, their factory 300 rum loads literally destroyed the brass in one firing. Blew the primers clean out on 4 of 5(and not just me/my rifle. I've heard lots of reports of that in their 300 rum) so much so new primers fall in. That's my experience. I wouldn't call it unsafe brass. Just I personally got no life out of any of mine. Use what you use though.

You'll want a way to measure where the lands on your rifle are, and measure to the ogive of your cartridge. Oal is only useful to make sure the rounds fit in a mag. I like the Hornady oal tool, a modified case, which you can buy, and the Forster datum dial kit. You'll be able to measure to ogives and shoulder datums on about any cartridge you get.

Welcome to the habit. Reloading doesn't really save money, as I'm sure you'll notice buying all this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
Wow you are diving in head first. Nice!!
For trimming I like the Forster trimmers- but there are a lot of others out there that work as well.
If you have a micrometer already just get a 6" caliper( I have a 25 year old Starrett that is indispensable to me).
For priming look at the Frankford hand prime unit. Its under $75 and comes with 12 shell holders.

fraz01

FNG
Frankford arsenal is my new favorite hand held priming tool. I prefer Forster dies for sizing and seating.

Pretty much as title says, reloading newb looking to start rolling my own 6.5CM (I know I know I’m pretty much a sniper) and 30.06 (haven’t ordered 30.06 dies yet) for now.

I’m looking for a bit/ a lot of guidance as I start this journey because I don’t really know anyone that handloads. I have done some research of my own online (a fair bit on this forum as I’m a lurker and not much of a poster)/ watched some Panhandle Precision youtube videos because I found those easy to follow and very informative.

RCBS Chargemaster Combo

Plan is to use the MEC primarily for case prep and I plan on ordering a KM Precision arbor press to seat bullets. I have an email into Roger @ KM to see what else I’ll need for arbor press.

I have a micrometer on my normal workbench but plan on ordering another just so I can have dedicated reloading micrometer. Any advice here will be helpful as well.

Also going to snag a few Area 419 billet trays and Hornady case tumbler / media.

What’s the best primer seater? KM has a kit with primer seater/ pressure gauge but is almost $225 for the whole kit and while Id like to put a nice bench together that might be a bit excessive, if not please let me know.

I realize powder and primers are in high demand right now so I purchased 8lbs of Hodgdon H4350, 2,000 Federal Large Magnum Rifle Match Grade Primers and I have some once shot fire formed brass from each rifle. Looks like Hornady ELD-X is unobtanium so I snagged some EOL 156s as well. I plan on using the once fired Hornady brass and then might splurge on some Lapua or ADG brass. Any suggestions for other powder primer is welcomed.

Please let me know anything else I’m missing and happy hunting. I’ll be in the elk woods in less than a month!

I'd snag some non-magnum primers. Federal 215m are some of the hottest primers available and not necessary for 6.5 creed or 30-06. 210m or CCI BR2 is where I'd start. Hornady will work fine. I wouldn't look beyond Lapua if you're needing more brass. Next stop after lapua would be peterson.

OP
DoveBlaster
Ordered up a few more goodies for my nonexistent bench. I’m not trying to cheap out OR break the bank so I did quite a bit of research trying to decide where money is best spent. I’m a total noob so I hope I chose wisely. Here is what I decided on;

Mitutoyo 500 AOS Digital Caliper

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set with 6 Inserts

L.E. Wilson Micrometer Case Trimmer Stainless Steel Case Trimming Kit

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Modified Case

K&M Primer Deluxe Hand Priming Tool and Lee Universal Shellholder #2

Area 419 Billet Block Aluminum Reloading Tray
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge

K&M Arbor Press

MTM Flip-Top Ammo Box 5ct

As always any advise is welcome and appreciated.

tdhanses

WKR
I think you have a good start and I prefer LE Wilson dies anymore, also the lock and load hornady upgrade to the MEC is well worth it, I hate screwing dies in anymore, keep an eye on Amazon, I’ve picked up 3packs for $9.95 a few times on prime.

OP
DoveBlaster
My first shipment of things has arrived, I looked over the MEC Press and Hornady Lock n Loads and while I do think the MEC is a sturdy press and I'm sure the Lock n Load upgrade is solid I'm just not sold so I am going to return the MEC press/ base and the Hornady Lock N Load. I like the MEC but the thought of changing out dies doesn't sound appealing.

I think I have settled on a Redding T-7 turret press and In-Line Fab base.

The Wilson dies look top notch and all the Area 419 stuff is quality.

The RCBS scale has a mail in rebate right now so I think for the price it was hard to beat.

Tomorrow my next shipment of goodies will arrive, I'm like a kid on Christmas.

Not to discount the Rokslide membership at all, but Sniper's Hide was a great resource for me when I was getting into reloading. And AccurateShooter.

tdhanses

WKR
My first shipment of things has arrived, I looked over the MEC Press and Hornady Lock n Loads and while I do think the MEC is a sturdy press and I'm sure the Lock n Load upgrade is solid I'm just not sold so I am going to return the MEC press/ base and the Hornady Lock N Load. I like the MEC but the thought of changing out dies doesn't sound appealing.

I think I have settled on a Redding T-7 turret press and In-Line Fab base.

The Wilson dies look top notch and all the Area 419 stuff is quality.

The RCBS scale has a mail in rebate right now so I think for the price it was hard to beat.

Tomorrow my next shipment of goodies will arrive, I'm like a kid on Christmas.
Personally a turret isn’t best to use for the most accurate ammo in my view, don’t let a step that takes a second scare you away as there are many. I think a turret shines when loading a massive amount of ammo in one sitting. If you want a good accurate turret press pony up $1200 and try the new area 419 otherwise I’d stick with the MEC or a co-ax.

RCBS Chargemaster Combo

Follow your recipies in the books!

ak max 83

FNG
MEC marksmen is a solid press for the money. Super for resizing with your LE Wilson dies. I bought a forster co-ax years ago. If shopping today I'd chose MEC or RCBS summit. Grab a run out gauge while you're at it. I use the sinclair with a starrett dial caliper. Cruise over to In Line Fabrication for mounting ideas. I really like the detachable system and is rock solid. One thing thats improved run out is expanding with Sinclair's expander mandrel. So I run my resizer without the expander ball which requires a second step.

Luckily my 6.5CM and 30-06 like the same powder - H4350. I use magnum primers in all my rifles too. Good for lighting in cold weather. H4350 might be the most temp stable powder in this burn rate. Manuals provide good starting loads. Work up until you see pressure and settle in on accuracy and velocity nodes.

Good choice on the LE Wilson trimmer. I use the same. I use the new case holders because I bump 0.002" all my cases for hunting.

I used to use the hornady modified cases and stoney point to find my lands. Now I disassemble my bolt and use the feel test. Many good vids online. Great choice on the caliper - Japanese Mitotoyu and American Starrett some of the best.

I've been switching my brass from Lapua to Peterson. Peterson packs in 50rd lots which is perfect for hunting.

The only important thing you're missing is a chronograph. All the work you are doing is measured with a chronograph. To match the quality of stuff you're buying I'd recommend a Labradar. I made the switch from Magnetospeed V3 to Labradar two years ago and have not looked back. I can chrono my arrows, lever guns and revolvers.

Last edited:
OP
DoveBlaster
I’m trying to get the actual bench and bench area all set up. Repurposed an old drafting table and some wooden shelving. As tradition some Folgers coffee cans for brass Ect.
36c74f09e1b87a8b52155079331c902d.jpg

Got the In Line Mount mocked up and ready for the Redding T7 which gets here tomorrow with 200 pieces of Lapua Brass. I am still looking for a LE Wilson expanded mandrel as I couldn’t find one in stock at Midway or Brownells.

Thursday a Frankford Arsenal Tumbler gets here along with some cleaning packs and I forgot case holders for the trimmer so they are on the way as well in 6.5 and 30/06.

I decided to exchange the LE Wilson trimmer w micrometer for the LE Wilson/ Sinclair Ultimate Micrometer trimmer and base. It looks really nice and only a $45 or so upgrade.

So far that’s it. I hope to be prepping some once fired brass this weekend.

OP
DoveBlaster
Got the Redding T7 mounted on the In-Line Fab mount and the In-Line mounted you my bench. Got the kiddo to decap some one fired 6.5, 30-05 and .22-250 brass. She has fun and liked filling up the spent primer tube. I have sent some stuff back to Midway/ Brownells in exchange for a few things and believe it or not added some stuff along the way as well.

I should be receiving the new trimmer, some eldm bullets and the correct size Area419 loading block today.

Tomorrow I’m expecting;
Redding Competition Shellholder Set
Hornady Lock n Load Headspace Bushing Set
Sinclair Expander Die and Expander Mandrel (not gonna wait for the LE Wilson on backorder)
Lee Auto Prime Shell Holder (didn’t realize these were different from universal shell holders)
Lyman Case Prep multi tool
Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller
LE Wilson Die Bushing .290
LE Wilson Die Bushing .289

1fa313ebef14815463b6500c690e22ff.jpg

CO-AJ

WKR
Got the Redding T7 mounted on the In-Line Fab mount and the In-Line mounted you my bench. Got the kiddo to decap some one fired 6.5, 30-05 and .22-250 brass. She has fun and liked filling up the spent primer tube. I have sent some stuff back to Midway/ Brownells in exchange for a few things and believe it or not added some stuff along the way as well.

I should be receiving the new trimmer, some eldm bullets and the correct size Area419 loading block today.

Tomorrow I’m expecting;
Redding Competition Shellholder Set
Hornady Lock n Load Headspace Bushing Set
Sinclair Expander Die and Expander Mandrel (not gonna wait for the LE Wilson on backorder)
Lee Auto Prime Shell Holder (didn’t realize these were different from universal shell holders)
Lyman Case Prep multi tool
Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller
LE Wilson Die Bushing .290
LE Wilson Die Bushing .289

1fa313ebef14815463b6500c690e22ff.jpg

Love the photo, looks like your daughter is reloading, son is playing video games, and you are eating a blizzard. Great delegation.👍😎

Cornholeo

FNG
RCBS Auto primer tool is all I use anymore. You get a good feel for the seat and I feel it is much more consistent. The tubes hold 100 primers and it uses your standard shell holders. Good luck and enjoy, reloading is as addictive as shooting!

OP
DoveBlaster
Well life has gotten in the way and I haven’t been able to dedicate any time to reload bench. That changed over the past few weeks and I’ve been able to do some brass prep, measuring, tool dialing and have cranked out my first 25 live rounds of 6.5CM. I started with some Hornady 140 BTHP, Lapua Brass, Federal 215s, and H4350 @ 37, 37.5, 38, 38.5, and 39. Excited to get out to the deer lease this weekend and send em over the Labradar. I have added a few things for the table, namely FA Case Prep center, quite a bit more powder, primers, projectiles and brass.

Side note I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered a Dillon 1050 set up for .223. I’ve got 5k pieces of brass, few k spp, some jugs of ramshot tac and will be looking for some 77tmks. If anyone has any experience with these machines I would appreciate any pointers.

They are backordered currently. I will have the trim station and bullet feeder ordered when it’s closer to shipping.

Thanks for your reply’s
c3e0068e63f8bed6c864cb98c3c78654.jpg

OP
DoveBlaster
Dillon RL 1100 is here, much quicker than expected so I’ve been frantically getting my bench organized. My “bench” used to be a drafting table that would articulate. So I had to remove all the hardware that made the table articulate in order for the table top to sit flat on the frame. The T7 wasn’t really heavy enough to make a difference but the 1100 fully rigged and loaded will be a whole different animal. I’ve made some angle iron brackets, got a 1/4 steel plate for the mounting plate and a nice long power strip. I spray painted them all down hammered grey to match the existing edge wrap on the sides of the table. Then I mounted the table to frame with angle brackets and mounted the T7 back to the Inline Fab mount. Next steps are to tap the steel plate to mount the 1100, finish constructing 1100 and figure out where to mount the power strip so the cords will be out of the way (if that’s possible). Then I should be off to the races on 223
2224665b3e6587cfbbbf60e90c47c33b.jpg

Rattle can blended nice with the 40+ year old paint.
b6470a511fa496382f4b87eab3d170ed.jpg

New angle bracket

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well life has gotten in the way and I haven’t been able to dedicate any time to reload bench. That changed over the past few weeks and I’ve been able to do some brass prep, measuring, tool dialing and have cranked out my first 25 live rounds of 6.5CM. I started with some Hornady 140 BTHP, Lapua Brass, Federal 215s, and H4350 @ 37, 37.5, 38, 38.5, and 39. Excited to get out to the deer lease this weekend and send em over the Labradar. I have added a few things for the table, namely FA Case Prep center, quite a bit more powder, primers, projectiles and brass.

Side note I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered a Dillon 1050 set up for .223. I’ve got 5k pieces of brass, few k spp, some jugs of ramshot tac and will be looking for some 77tmks. If anyone has any experience with these machines I would appreciate any pointers.

They are backordered currently. I will have the trim station and bullet feeder ordered when it’s closer to shipping.

Thanks for your reply’s
c3e0068e63f8bed6c864cb98c3c78654.jpg

I hope you meant SRP and not SPP for .223. Those pistol primers won't help you there lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk