Reloading question (power stability)

Dcrafton

WKR
When we speak about powder temperature stability,
Are we talking about the ambient temperature or the powder temperature.
If I keep the bullets in my pocket on a cold day will I be able to maintain more stability or is it strictly the ambient temperature in which you are shooting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
we frequently keep ammo in a cooler on hot days or in a cooler with a warm bottle on cold days.

I have even had an ice bottle in it on hot days. so yes it helps, but a cold chamber will sink that cold into a cartridge real quick. just like cooking a cartridge in a hot chamber, you only have so many seconds to shoot or the cartridge will get hot.

when on the line I keep my ammo out of the sun as much as possible.

now even with that the rifle can go out of tune from temps and atmospherics real quick.

cornfed

FNG
It's referring to the temp of the powder. Keeping rds in your pocket on a cold day would probably benefit you if you developed your load on a hot day. I try to use Hodgdon's extreme line of powders as they're more forgiving.

PA Hunter

WKR
I do my load testing around the same temp I hunt in. I was just out today with two new powders and loads 28 degrees. I even let my rifle and shells sit for some time to acclimate to outside air temp. I also pay attention to my cold bore first shot not fouling shot.