Reloading room? Garage room or basement?

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
So what did you do ?
Decided to go with a room built inside the garage with a minisplit in it to heat/cool it.

Had permit issues and then found out I had a easement that caused problems, they are supposed to break ground next week so I can let you know how I like it some time next summer šŸ˜‚

When I built my house I did the exact thing you are proposing with your garage. I would do (and did) a mini split in lieu of an extra duct tap so you can control that room independent from the house.

I would not put anything in a basement where you have to haul it through the house, could have a leak or flood and have flammable material below my main house.

5182b7937902eaf41e09e960c1fdee09.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2cf789505b8fdfed37a72ae101d4d2fc.jpg

efed82f59aacef63271d978265995107.jpg

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
When I built my house I did the exact thing you are proposing with your garage. I would do (and did) a mini split in lieu of an extra duct tap so you can control that room independent from the house.

I would not put anything in a basement where you have to haul it through the house, could have a leak or flood and have flammable material below my main house.

5182b7937902eaf41e09e960c1fdee09.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2cf789505b8fdfed37a72ae101d4d2fc.jpg

efed82f59aacef63271d978265995107.jpg
I like it! I did end up doing the mini split, seemed easier to keep control that room as you mentioned, how big is your room? I did a 12x13 and debating having them do 12x15 to give a little more room

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a room in my house where most of my mounts are. Not big, but most of my deer and duck mounts are in there. So I figured I'd keep my stuff inside. 2' x 3' is plenty to make rounds. I just added the shelves up top and below to clean things up. Plan on putting bifold doors to keep it neat and keep the wife off my arse.

I like it! I did end up doing the mini split, seemed easier to keep control that room as you mentioned, how big is your room? I did a 12x13 and debating having them do 12x15 to give a little more room

Itā€™s 14x16 if I remember correctly. That mini split will keep it as cold as I can stand it, even in the 105-110Ā° temps we have been having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TaperPin

WKR
The mini split is definitely the way to go, however, not all builders automatically add a door with weatherstripping when itā€™s in the garage. It doesnā€™t absolutely have to be an exterior grade door, but the weatherstripping and threshold will keep out a lot of dust.

Iā€˜m usually the lead finish guy on custom or semi custom homes and this is commonly overlooked. On the other extreme Iā€™ve seen contractors specify a crazy overbuilt/expensive exterior door that ran costs up $2,500 which doesnā€™t seem appropriate and is taking advantage of an upcharged extra that the client approved, but didnā€™t understand.

For extra security you could also have a steel commercial door installed, but youā€™d have to like that kind of door and steel door jamb. With interior security doors, itā€™s common to forget to specify adding plywood to the walls, or you have a tough door and a wall next to it that a preteen kid could kick his way through, so thatā€™s worth getting In the plan early.

Clients that have added a heated/cooled space to the garage have found a lot of items that want to live there. Unless garage space was limited outside the reloading room, I bet you will fill an extra 36 square feet quickly if you go with 12ā€™x15ā€™. This is permitted conditioned square footage so it counts toward the total living space, but different building departments treat it differently so check - it could be since itā€™s within the fire rated garage walls it will always be counted as garage. For tax reasons if you donā€™t want it to be counted in the conditioned space, you could always leave out the mini split and add it after the final inspection.

Theres always a lot of little details that come out as your build moves a long.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Iā€™d add on an additional room off the garage. You could load straight into the truck and have it climate controlled without worrying about having the garage door open or not.

buffybr

FNG
I would recommend your reloading room to be inside of your house where it is heated and generally cleaner than it would be in a garage.

I bought my house in 1978. It was a tri-level, fully carpeted and heated. There is a 9'x11' room in the lower level that could be used as a bedroom, but there is no closet. So I made it into my reloading room with a stout workbench on the 11' side. In later years I remodeled my kitchen and put some of the old cabinets on one of the 9' walls in my reloading room.

When I started to use this room I only had a single stage Bair 12 ga shotshell reloader and a RCBS Rockchudker press for my rifle and pistol reloading. Then I got into registered Trap and Skeet shooting, so I added a Hornady 366 reloader for each of the 4 shotgun gages, and a 450 Dillon for quicker pistol and some rifle reloading.

The rest of the room just filled up with ???
CIuVDBPl.jpg

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
House should be done in June, opted for building a room inside of the garage, fully finished, insulated, with a mini split, have an exterior door between my garage and room to keep dust/dirt, bugs and mice as well as to help the mini split control the temp

Vicomb

FNG
I'd want my reloading stuff inside a temperature controlled area with low humidity and as dust free as possible that mean never the garage.

Store your hunting gear in the garage and put the reloading/shooting stuff elsewhere
Totally agree!

DEW0341

WKR
I do all of my brass prep in the garage. Keep brass in the house at all times otherwise.

Prime, charge, seat bullets in the house. I set up shop in my office and seat with an arbor press so itā€™s convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed with the space you folks have. I have an 8x10 room that I reload, repair tack, and work on my guns. It's a little tight.

I moved a wall in the living room and reduced a bedroom to a gun room. My hunting partner moved a 12 x 30' shed in behind the garage and finished it into a mancave with a reloading /gun room and an exercise room.

My daughter did a similar thing with a smaller building and turned it into a she shed. Both of them put in a wood stove for heat but are in the northern climes.

For hunting season I use the entire house for drying, clothes, boots, washing gear and whatever you can imagine. Even drying saddles during the wet years.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Guess reading comprehension is hard for most
I'm impressed with the space you folks have. I have an 8x10 room that I reload, repair tack, and work on my guns. It's a little tight.

I moved a wall in the living room and reduced a bedroom to a gun room. My hunting partner moved a 12 x 30' shed in behind the garage and finished it into a mancave with a reloading /gun room and an exercise room.

My daughter did a similar thing with a smaller building and turned it into a she shed. Both of them put in a wood stove for heat but are in the northern climes.

For hunting season I use the entire house for drying, clothes, boots, washing gear and whatever you can imagine. Even drying saddles during the wet years.
My wife hates hunting season, 3-4 months of clothes and gear all over the house šŸ˜‚, now I got 2 boys that can hunt as well so itā€™s 3x the stuff spread around everywhere