Relocating to Casper WY, looking for input

Hey all,
We are exploring the idea of relocating to Casper WY from Gunnison CO. For years we have been spoiled by amazing access to public lands, incredible hunting and fishing as well as a great small town, but times are changing here. We have decided to relocate to MT or WY. During our research we stumbled across Casper and love how affordable it is. From other threads it looks like a great place for all of the outdoor activities we enjoy.
We are more wondering what it is like to raise a family there? We have come across some mixed reviews about the crime rates as well as the quality of school districts. Can anyone give an accurate report from personal experiences? We will be selling our house here and were hoping to rent there before we bought. Will it be hard to find a rental that will allow well behaved dogs? We appreciate any input you may offer.

Thanks

BigDog00

WKR
Summers are great, winters suck. Not because of the cold but the wind. As I type, we are getting a some mild 40mph winds. The days where you think your house is going to blow away are much more common then when it doesn't blow at all. When people say its windy....its WINDY!!! I don't have kids in school yet, but I would say they are pretty good. Home prices are high right now with very little inventory on the market. If you want land this would not be the place to look. As far a hunting and public land goes, it doesn't get much better.

OP
MountainGhost
Summers are great, winters suck. Not because of the cold but the wind. As I type, we are getting a some mild 40mph winds. The days where you think your house is going to blow away are much more common then when it doesn't blow at all. When people say its windy....its WINDY!!! I don't have kids in school yet, but I would say they are pretty good. Home prices are high right now with very little inventory on the market. If you want land this would not be the place to look. As far a hunting and public land goes, it doesn't get much better.
Thanks BigDog. Thats some great info. The average price for a house around us is 375k, and thats for nothing special. In the perfect world we would like land, but that can always come later.

Scorpion

WKR
MountainGhost - what’s pushing you away from Gunnison? Is it the state level politics & demographics or something local?

Have spent a lot of time in the Gunnison country over the last decade, was hoping to move there permanently but am starting to look more to other areas.

OP
MountainGhost
MountainGhost - what’s pushing you away from Gunnison? Is it the state level politics & demographics or something local?

Have spent a lot of time in the Gunnison country over the last decade, was hoping to move there permanently but am starting to look more to other areas.
I don’t know where to start. The state politics and the local politics have gotten pretty bad. The amount of second and third home owners buying up property is making it incredibly expensive here. Sadly I know of a lot of long time locals who have been leaving for the same reasons. Don’t get me wrong, the hunting and fishing are top notch and there are still a lot of amazing people here. It’s just not the same as it used to be.

HOT ROD

WKR
We moved to Casper six years ago and we like it here... As far as hunting and fishing its pretty hard to beat Wyoming. Winters here are not really as bad as we thought they where going to be... We came from NW Pennsylvania and we got a lot of lake affect snow the wind does gust here from time to time lol... Houses are selling fast though... Good luck...

The housing being scarce and expensive is true almost anywhere you go in the US right now. I'm probably working from home permanently now and have been looking at homes all over the Mtn. west.

I lived in Wyoming for 5 years and when these folks tell you the wind blows, they aint lyin. We are talking almost debilitating, soul crushing wind lol. However, Wyoming has by far the best people of anywhere I've ever lived, and the outdoor opportunities are hard to beat.

kravguy

WKR
Which areas of Wyoming would be less windy then?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Also from Gunnison CO here. Wife and I are currently looking elsewhere and in the interviewing process for a job in Montana.

Gunnison is still a great place as far as Colorado standards go, it’s probably the only place in CO I’d live. Lots of public land, awesome scenery, small town vibes, but with that comes a ton of tourists and second and third homeowners who trample all over the local community. This last year has been non-stop tourism and its wearing locals out. We are doing the same thing as the OP, selling our house here, which won’t be hard, it’s finding the right home wherever we go next that will be challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think most people understand just how windy it can be in Casper. Not only the amount of wind, but the duration of it as well. They say a Wyoming wind sock is a flag pole with a log chain tied to the top......believe it. On one occasion that I was there, doing some coyote hunting, the wind blew so hard that I could literally lean my body forward into it and it would damn near support my weight and hold me up. I’d love to live there, but there is no way I could tolerate that wind.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
MountainGhost, I moved from Salida to Sheridan last year. I would NOT leave Gunnison for Casper! It's ugly compared to Gunny! There is a lot of public land in WY, but it ain't the same as a place like Gunnison with world class outdoor recreation and beautiful mountains in all directions. If you don't have a reason to be in Casper, I'd be looking at the Rocky Mountains in WY

OP
MountainGhost
Also from Gunnison CO here. Wife and I are currently looking elsewhere and in the interviewing process for a job in Montana.

Gunnison is still a great place as far as Colorado standards go, it’s probably the only place in CO I’d live. Lots of public land, awesome scenery, small town vibes, but with that comes a ton of tourists and second and third homeowners who trample all over the local community. This last year has been non-stop tourism and its wearing locals out. We are doing the same thing as the OP, selling our house here, which won’t be hard, it’s finding the right home wherever we go next that will be challenging.

Hey. I’m newer on here so it won’t let me send a private message. It sounds like we are in a similar situation. Would you mind sending me a message?