Rem 700 Difficult to close/open bolt

260madman

WKR
I hope you didn’t torque your action screws to 65lbs-ft. They should be in-lbs.

BIGEYES

FNG
TxAg93
Do not wrap tape AROUND the cartridge head. Headspace on a .300 Win. Mag. is the measurement from the case head to the forward edge of the belt. To check for excess headspace, place a single thickness of tape (scotch clear) on the case head. Be sure no tape wraps around the case rim. check the outside ( largest diameter of the locking lugs to se if they have been marred by the front guard screw. If you have an outside micrometer, measure a fired case at three different positions ( about 120 degrees apart) about an inch ahead of the belt. The measurements should be VERY nearly the same. If the measurements varry more than a couple .0001"s, the chamber is out of round. This could cause problems in chambering an unfired round AND WILL cause problems extracting a fired case. If you do not have an outside micrometer (graduated in .0001"), take a couple of fired cases to a machine shop and ask them to check for "out of round".
Hope this helps.

Wrench

WKR
Pull the firing pin. Google it, you can use a penny, piece of wire, kleinendorst tool....simple job.

Then, try it without the fp and see what happens. If it is still a drag, you know it's headspace related. If not....you know it's bolt/fp related. You'll likely find you're fp spring looking like a snake and scrubbing the bolt.

Kay9Cop

FNG
I had a new Ridgeline that was a little stiff on it’s very first shot and required some significant effort by the third shot to get the bolt open. I had marks on the case head with factory loads and thought it was a headspace issue, as some have speculated here. It ended up just being a sticky chamber was grabbing the brass and creating some high pressures. I used a little polish and degreased everything with some brake cleaner, then oiled it back up and it’s been fine ever since.

Bsnyder

WKR
Sounds like either your chamber may be a bit tight/small or the ammo brass is a little bit too large. Get another box of ammo and see how it chambers. Also, may want to measure the new cartridge base to shoulder with something like the Hornady Lock n Load Headspace gauge kit.

same thing happened to me with the 270 wsm ended up resizing brass to fit the chamber and now mine is a bughole shooter

OP
T

TxAg93

FNG
Just wanted to update those of you that were having this same issue. I took the rifle to APR where they ended up replacing the extractor. I was able to make it to a local indoor range today just to see how the action cycled when shooting and everything appeared normal. Still a tiny mark being left on the base of the case but not nearly as bad as before and the bolt had no difficulty opening or closing before or after firing. I’m relieved that this was a cheap fix considering it’s a brand new factory rifle..

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Same fix with mine. I got a Sako extractor installed on my bolt. Problem solved.

Well today I spent a bit of time and pulled the rifle out to continue some of these tests. I tried two other cartridges, a 180gr Federal, and 200gr Remington. I experienced the same difficulty closing the bolt for both of these as well. I then put a layer of masking tape around the head of the case and couldn't get the bolt to budge. It's looking like more than just an extractor issue from what I can tell at this point. Anyone have gunsmith recommendations for the DFW area? I was going to try APR first.

Try MW Precision out of Ft Worth. I recently used him on a few build and I did an amazing job. His turn around time is quick and prices are very fair.

f16jack

WKR
I had the same issue. Rem 700 in 7mm rem Mag. I removed the bolt and disassembled it. At the end of the spring (near the tangs that engage the trigger assembly) there was a build up of brass filings/goo. I cleaned this (and the rest of the bolt and firing pin) and reassembled. The action now worked smoothly and the bolt chambered and dechambered rounds smoothly.

Hudge

FNG
I totally forgot about this thread. Back in late August, I took the bolt part and it had slivers of brass in it. I got it all cleaned out and it runs like a champ now.