Rem 700 SPS worth buying anymore?

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Been hearing about quality control issues from Remington; how much of a gamble are the new 700’s? Considering the costs of potential fixes, what would a fair price for a “like new” 700 SPS in .270 be?

Afhunter1

WKR
I got one that’s a few years old but never shot a box of ammo through it. It has Leupold base and rings with a Redfield revolution 4-12x40. I have it listed in my local classifieds for 600.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I have an SPS tactical and agree, their stock is garbage. After swapping the stock and trigger, mine is a great shooting rifle.

Last edited:

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
The one issue that I don’t hear talked about as much with the newer remingtons that I wish I had heard before I spent the money a couple years ago is how bad they will rust. You can do a quick google search of “Remington 700 rust” and you’ll quickly see how many people have issues with this.

Other than rusting I haven’t had any issues with mine however that one issue is a pretty huge deal for how bad it gets. I have a 300wsm and it is very accurate and am confident when I did use it that it would always shoot where I wanted. It has shoot whatever ammo I throw in it..

But for me how Cheap this metal is and how easily it rusts I wouldn’t buy another unless you got a really good deal and then wanted to do a cerakote job on it. But at that point you might as well spend the extra money and get something higher quality out of the box. Just my 2 cents

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The one issue that I don’t hear talked about as much with the newer remingtons that I wish I had heard before I spent the money a couple years ago is how bad they will rust. You can do a quick google search of “Remington 700 rust” and you’ll quickly see how many people have issues with this.

Other than rusting I haven’t had any issues with mine however that one issue is a pretty huge deal for how bad it gets. I have a 300wsm and it is very accurate and am confident when I did use it that it would always shoot where I wanted. It has shoot whatever ammo I throw in it..

But for me how Cheap this metal is and how easily it rusts I wouldn’t buy another unless you got a really good deal and then wanted to do a cerakote job on it. But at that point you might as well spend the extra money and get something higher quality out of the box. Just my 2 cents

I had an 870 (lower end model) that would turn orange in a few days....when I lived in the desert. I remember pulling it out from under the bed and it was covered in surface rust. easy enough to wipe down but Im talking high desert.

I have a handful. I am a lefty and factory LH rifles are not too common.

The rust common is 100% valid. I’ve had orange 870 Express shotguns and my newest SPS was well saturated w CLP. Had a light drizzle on the range and opened my case 48 hours later to MAJOR rust. On every part.

I’d Krylon one when I opened the box now.

X Mark Pro triggers are shit.

Stock can be thrown in a fire for cool plastic flame colors

I have one in 7mm Rem Mag that shoots very well. And one in 300 WM that takes a lot of work but ultimately shoots.

Better Bang for the Buck out there for sure. But I like the 700.

Used ones shouldn’t be more than $425ish naked.

I have bought two 700s in the last 5? years, one shitty plastic stock and one with a bell and Carlson. On both of them the front action screw would touch the bolt lug. NO issues with rust and I am not one to take care of wet rifles. The stainless one would get surface rust that would wipe off until I took it apart and brake cleaned the whole thing, must of had machining dust on the barrel. no more rust. Both were poor accuracy wise (2"+ with most loads but both 1 load that would shoot inchish) even after fixing the front action screw. After 75-100 rounds both shoot most loads pretty good, not sure what changed but accuracy is way better.

wgrkman

FNG
I have a 700 SPS stainless in 7mm-08 that shoots well and has been my main rifle from elk to deer for about 5 years now. I have not had any of the rust problems that others have mentioned. Sounds like the stainless might be the way to go.

Grundy53

WKR
I would say the best attribute to the new 700's is the huge aftermarket. You can easily customize one to your liking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the SPS model, but when I had an ADL I had the rust issue on the bolt handle from just cycling the action between shootings. Seemed I had to oil it every time I handled it.

After that I won't ever have anything to do with Remington. Judging how the business is ran by lawyers & accountants, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Bergara if you want a 700 style action. Better build quality & still capable of using all the aftermarket support. I purchased a B-14 Woodsman in 270 win and couldn't be happier.

wapitibob

WKR
The only thing left from my SPS is the action and they replaced that once along with the barrel that was missing rifling.

Hmmm. I have commented on this before so will be short so as not to repeat.

I bought 3 700s in the last few years.

223 sps is a tack driver.
300 win mag American wilderness rifle is a decent shooter (not sure I have found the right load)
308 xcr compact is a turd. 2-3” groups at 100 yards.

All are wearing timmny triggers for safety reasons and because the factory sps trigger felt like a gravel bar.

The sps has a bit of rust sitting in the safe. Hated the houge stock and dumped that for something else. It is a shooter but still not the rifle I would have hoped for given how much $$ I have in it.

Overall, based on my mixed experience with 700s and a couple of late model 870s that also like to rust sitting in a dry safe, I would be hard pressed to buy another Remmy.

For the same prices, I could have bought something like tikkas and saved a bunch of $$ or gone with an even better brand.

Sled

WKR
For the same prices, I could have bought something like tikkas and saved a bunch of $$ or gone with an even better brand.

same here. i ditched all my remington rifles that were not sentimentally valued. they can be great guns after a lot of work goes into them. for the same price and less headache there are other quality rifles available.

BigDog00

WKR
I've got a few and all have shoot great. I'm don't baby my guns but I haven't had too many issues with rust. I wipe them down with an oily rag one or twice a year...sometimes not at all if I don't shoot them. Heck, I've had a SPA varmint in the closet that I haven't shot in about 6 years, no rust. I got it out a few months back to wipe off the dust (not rust). The whole point of 700's is the after market options. You can get a lemon with any brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bsnyder

WKR
My sps In 270 wsm shoots .3 if I do my part only thing I did was hand load and put a trigger tech in it still rides in the factory stock

I have a .223 SPS in stainless for coyote. It is a rust magnet. I have a dehumidifier in my safe and keep all my guns clean and oiled. I threw out the crap plastic stock, put it in a Bell and Carson, and replaced the trigger. It now shoots sub MOA but that is $500 later and it still rusts in the high desert. Sold off all but two Remingtons and will not buy another. I should have just bought a Sako or Kimber.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
same here. i ditched all my remington rifles that were not sentimentally valued. they can be great guns after a lot of work goes into them. for the same price and less headache there are other quality rifles available.

I didn’t have any remingtons for the past decade until about 2 weeks ago when I randomly ended up with 2 Remington 700 XCR2 rifles both in 375HH. I’ve been quite pleased with them but they are both from ~ 2010 and apparently the xcr2 was a model that got extra love at the factory.