Reminder: Always Check Your Bow Before Heading Out

NDGuy

WKR
Lost the chance at the biggest deer of my life yesterday. I have a QAD Ultra Rest and over the years, the moleskin felt material must have worn down. Well I was drawing back on a big buck and my arrow shaft made a creaking noise rubbing against that worn felt material. Just loud enough to have him turn and look right at me. Kicking myself for not checking it before heading out but I have no idea why it made that noise, maybe the cold? I had shot quite a few times this spring and summer and never noticed a noise like that. Always wonder if I could have done something differently but who knows.

Live and learn, that's bowhunting...

sneaky

"DADDY"
You sure the creaking noise came from the rest? In the cold a lot of things can creak, including my joints lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How cold was it? I’d bet it was more likely a slight build up of dew/condensation when your bow went from indoors to early morning outside environment.
Just a thought. Feel for ya though! Sucks missing opportunities on those big fellas.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
You sure the creaking noise came from the rest? In the cold a lot of things can creak, including my joints lol.
No it was definitely the rest, my archery shop said it's pretty common and to watch it going forward. Ugh $10 fix would have earned me a solid buck.

The worst failures are the ones we know we could have prevented. Hopefully you get another good opportunity this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a squeak on the felt of my rest as well, commonly when it's cold. My dad reminds me to rough it up before I put my arrow on the string. It seems to help fluff it up and diminish the squeak for that one arrow that counts. Something to maybe try in cold weather when practicing.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I did the exact same thing, drew on a buck a few years ago and it sounded like I was learning to play the violin. The felt on my QAD was worn and it just happened to make the noise at the wrong time. It's a major bummer for sure!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
My archery shop guy said to watch it and replace every few years to be safe. He also said rubbing bow wax on it helps it not squeak.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
209306f706ab1e15920f7803f3246581.jpg

There he is, right before he walked outta my life...fine fine ok he ran out of it lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The cold does weird things to equipment. I have a buddy that was using a Limbdriver Pro V. He had a 360 class bull at about 30 yards. It was cold that morning and when he drew back, the launcher stuck to the rubber launcher stop, and then popped loose at full draw clanking the arrow up in the air.........bull gone.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I have a handful of old Redhead brand arrows and the finish on the shafts make a noise as pulled across the QAD rest - EVEN WITH MOLESKIN!! I tried packing tape, bare plastic and finally VERY lightly sanded the shafts and sprayed with clear coat. If definitely helped and I was able to take a nice buck last year. Crazy. I kinda look for smoother shaft finish these days and have zero issues with the smoother shaft arrows.

I had a Ripcord get noisy out near the coast in very wet weather on a Roosevelt hunt...but it wasn't below freezing. Had to rough it up and re-glue it down. I'm more careful since. Didn't cost me a shot...noticed it while shooting my Rinehart 18-1.