Remington 1100 question

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an old standard weight Remington 1100 20 gauge that’s been in the family for awhile and I’m wanting to repurpose it, the serial number ends in X. And to my understanding it’s 20 gauge built on the 12 gauge frame. Right now it has got a smooth bore slug barrel on it and I’m wanting to use it for birds. I’ve been looking on the internet and have found some used barrels for it in varying chokes but some are 2 3/4” and others are 3”. The receiver doesn’t say anything about length of shells or if it’s a magnum. My question is can it shoot either, just dependent on the barrel? I’d like a 3” barrel to use on ducks..assuming the old steel will do fine with the new non toxic shot. Any help would be much appreciated.

FLS

WKR
The lightweight (LT) replacement barrels won’t fit your receiver.
Remington made a Steel Shot barrel for the 12 gauge 1100 that would shoot 3” steel on a 2 3/4” receiver. Don’t think they ever made one for the 20.
Best bet is eBay or gun broker for a pre ‘77 20 gauge barrel.

Eagle

WKR
I own one of these as well and I'm wondering about aftermarket stocks, specifically a synthetic black stock. I'm assuming I could buy a 12 guage stock that would work for the butt end, but the fore end wouldn't fit right due to the barrel channel being too wide. Anyone out there know of an aftermarket stock option for these 20ga built on the 12 ga frame?

Lucky Goose

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same gun. It takes 12 gauge stocks and forearms.

As for barrels they are often referred to as 'standard weight 20 gauge barrels' They come up on ebay every now and then.

Jimbo2312

FNG
Good luck with the barrel hunt, I know it sucks cause barrels are never cheap. I have an 1100 12 ga Mag from 1970 and it will barely shoot the heaviest 3" loads, and that's after changing the o ring and with good maintenance. 2 different barrels too. Didn't want to mess up the heirloom gun so just got a Baikal for ducks. If you can find a 2 3/4" barrel thats IC or Mod you'd be in good shape to use that for decoying ducks with steel shot, along with a super handy flushing/ walking gun