Remington 270 upgrade

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Remington 270 Bdl that my grandfather bought for me about 9 years ago for a graduation present, setup pretty much factory with a wood bdl stock and gloss barrel. Well him in and I got into a conversation the other day about revamping it ad turning it into a real killer. So Im looking for suggestions, Im going to get barrel re blued to a matte finish. Looking at stocks right now, possibly either hogue or a bell and carlson stock. What else do I need to get done? I dont need to make it ultralight, but would like to finish around 7 or 8 pounds, I already have a 3x9x49 vortex scope and I wont change that. Thanks for the help. Daniel

How in depth are you wanting to go? If you got time I'd look at getting a stock from McMillan for their lightweight hunter stock. That factory trigger can be tuned up pretty sweet as well.

I assume you won't be swapping barrels or are interested in trueing up your action?

Mike

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Im just looking at making a gun accurate out to 400 yards, thats all I care to shoot. The only problem I see with the Mcmillan stocks is the price, thats why I was looking at the Hogue or the bell and carlson. The trigger has actually been tuned its comfortable for me. What is truing the action, also should I bed the rifle otr will that add to much weight? Thanks Daniel

The B&C stocks are a bit stiffer and have a better following with the long range crowd. I really like their medalist stocks but they are slightly heavy for a hunting stock (30 oz +/- 4 oz I think!) but not bad. If you go with the B&C stock its really easy to skim bed it using some Devcon liquid steel and you can do it yourself (I've also used Brownells Acraglass, while it worked it will loosen up over time and the Devcon is MUCH better). Won't add much more than an ounce or two at best and almost always improves accuracy if done right. The B&C stocks come with an aluminum bedding block so you won't have to add pillars or mill anything out.

Trueing the action involves squaring up the face, bolt nose, and lugs. Can involve re-cutting threads as well depending on the smith doing the work. But now you are getting into some more $. I would throw a new B&C stock on there, skim bed it, and play with some hand loads to see what the factory barreled action is capable of.

When you say "accurate out to 400 yards" that is pretty vague. That could be minute of elk accurate (8" group), MOA accurate (4" group), or less depending on the person shooting. What kind of groups are you shooting right now and what would you like to be shooting?

Mike

Shrek

WKR
The bell and carlson stocks are pretty good. I have an alaskian ti on one of my 700's and I'm very happy with it. Not so happy with the two hogue stocks I owned . One had the full bed block the other just the pillar bed. The full length block did not fit the m77 ruger very well. After shooting it I took it out and you could see where it did not snug down into the lug area. Did.'t shoot well due to that problem . The other was on a 700 . The pillar bed shot better buy was flexible in the forend and the hogue doesn't bed well due to the flexible plastic material. I skim bedded the bell and carlson and it has been great. About $245 at my door from stockys.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same rifle as you, but ir is in 300 win mag. What I did was I ordered a factory stock from Remington. It has the grips and everything. It looks like the stocks that are on the model 700 sps. Its not a bad stock. Then I had it glass bedded. The stock was 115 dollars. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Right now it is shooting minute of elk, under field conditions and I feel comfortable with that.I loaded up some 140 gr accubonds and they shot pheniminal so im hoping they will shoot good on this gun. Are the any instructions on how to skim bed, should I just look it up. Thanks again. Daniel

Some good suggestions so far. If it was me I would leave the blueing alone and add a McMillan KS stock and of course ADL trigger guard and call it good.

Daniel,
Its a bit of reading but here is a great thread on SnipersHide regarding how to skim bed your own rifle. I would order up one of those B&C stocks, bed it yourself and see how she shoots! I bet you'll be happy with the results and if not, you can always send 'er off to have a new barrel twisted on and the action trued up (get ahold of me if you ever want to do that... we can help you out!).

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1242746

Mike

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of having your rifle reblued I would consider teflon or cerakot for the entire barreled action. You get your choice of colors and they actually help protect the metal from rust and the environment.

That B&C Alaskan Ti stock will shed some weight and let you have a stock of whatever color you want.

Talley lightweight rings and bases are a bullet proof design and lighter than steel rings and bases.

If you want to add a little bling without breaking the bank take a look at http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/index_022.htm . Bolt fluting looks neat to some people and is pretty cheap.

Shrek

WKR
The Cerakote is really tuff stuff ! The ADL mountain rifle is about 5 oz less than the alaskian ti. You would also loose the hinged floorplate weight as well. You would have to open the barrel channel a little but thats about it. +1 on the talley rings . The DNZ rings are strong and light also. I love to do this kind of thing ! Makes me want to go to the gun show in town this weekend and get another project rifle ! Mostly done with the m70 7mm wsm I got for $250 a couple months back :)