Remington 700 ADL Brown Precision

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all - my Remington knowledge is not the best. I am in the market looking at this rifle from a private seller. He says it's a Remington 700 ADL left hand with Brown Precision stock 30-06. The little reading I've done it sounds like these were hidden gems in their day. It only weighs 6.4 lbs un-scoped which is nice. It appears the stock was painted by someone which is a shame. Other than that - it looks to have a Kampfeld knob as well.

What was the appeal with these? I would possibly purchase this and have the barrel cut and threaded for a suppressor. I'm assuming it only being a 22" barrel I might be able to get enough shoulder to thread a can on it. Any input is greatly appreciated!

pI3XCRc.jpg

mD42Svg.jpg

5py7CwJ.jpg

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
The Brown Precision stock is lightweight and very well made. Brown stocks are normally painted with a texture paint that gives a positive grip and holds up very well to wear. Mine have lasted many years and are still in great shape. As for the ADL - it looks to be a common ADL, but in left hand. The ADL is a good rifle for hunting. If you are a lefty and the rifle is a reasonable price it certainly would be worth buying.

wyosteve

WKR
It appears it may be a KS. The early ones came with a McMillan stock and the later ones with a Brown Precision. I can't tell, but if there's no 'markings' on the barrel other than the caliber, then pretty certain it is a KS. The KS came out of the Remington custom shop and had their own contour barrel. They are more desirable than the regular ADL. I have one in .338 Win. Mag. that I bought the first year they came out and it's a shooter and a dream to carry. Value would be in the $1250 to $1500 range.

OP
C

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
It appears it may be a KS. The early ones came with a McMillan stock and the later ones with a Brown Precision. I can't tell, but if there's no 'markings' on the barrel other than the caliber, then pretty certain it is a KS. The KS came out of the Remington custom shop and had their own contour barrel. They are more desirable than the regular ADL. I have one in .338 Win. Mag. that I bought the first year they came out and it's a shooter and a dream to carry. Value would be in the $1250 to $1500 range.
He said it's not technically a KS or FS which I'm not sure is true. It appears to be a Remington 700 ADL in left hand that had the front and rear sights removed. The recoil pad does say 'Remington' but he swears it's not a tupperware stock. I called Brown Precision and he said when they supplied stocks to Remington they used their own recoil pad so that's assuring.

I'm just wondering if it's not a KS or FS does it have a special contour barrel?

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
From the photos it looked to me like the standard contour barrel, but obviously I could be wrong. The KS has a slightly slimmer barrel than the regular ADL. If it is a KS it is worth a bit more than if it is a regular ADL in a BP stock.

Whether it is a KS or not, it is a fine hunting rifle.

OP
C

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
I just found this thread on 24hr and it appears to be almost identical to what I was explaining. Sounds to be an ADS FS....

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Odds are that this rifle has a 24" barrel that has not been drilled for iron sights. An excellent BP fiberglass stock is a big improvement from the normal ADL stock. It appears to have rings and bases. If the muzzle is clean and there are no obvious signs of excessive use or abuse it would probably be worth a look. I would suggest an aftermarket trigger. It is about $150 and 20 minutes DIY to put a Timney on it. Many used 700's have factory triggers that have been adjusted poorly by the wrong guy.

Is the price reasonable?

OP
C

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
Odds are that this rifle has a 24" barrel that has not been drilled for iron sights. An excellent BP fiberglass stock is a big improvement from the normal ADL stock. It appears to have rings and bases. If the muzzle is clean and there are no obvious signs of excessive use or abuse it would probably be worth a look. I would suggest an aftermarket trigger. It is about $150 and 20 minutes DIY to put a Timney on it. Many used 700's have factory triggers that have been adjusted poorly by the wrong guy.

Is the price reasonable?
He states that it's a factory 22" barrel that had the front and rear sights removed. If that is the case - sounds like a typical 700 ADL per the link I mentioned above. Could very well be a FS.

My only reservation is the barrel at this point. I'd want to cut and thread it for a suppressor. I'm just not sure it could be done with a 5/8x24 thread which I doubt. I'm not too keen on using a bushing adapter. Then at that point I'd be looking at re-barreling it. Now the deal isn't so much a 'deal'.

Actually its the other way around on the stocks. The early KS rifles has Brown stocks and began to transition to McMillan sometime around 1991 or 1992. Guns from that time could have either stock on them. My 1992 KS .280 that I always thought has a Brown is actually a McMillan.

wyosteve

WKR
Interesting. I understood the McMillans have a cheek piece and the Brown Precision did not. My KS is from 1987/1988 and has a cheek piece. Either way they are great rifles.

Interesting. I understood the McMillans have a cheek piece and the Brown Precision did not. My KS is from 1987/1988 and has a cheek piece. Either way they are great rifles.
Agreed, the KS was IMHO the best factory rifle ever built by Remington. Sure it came out of their Custom Shop but was pretty much a "production" rifle with some custom features.

On the stocks for the KS rifles, the stock always had a cheek piece regardless of built by McMillan or Brown. Now Brown does have various stocks they build, one of their best being their Pound'r stock and I think you can get it with or without a cheek piece but not 100% sure on that.

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the action from the stock to see if there are any markings. Might have to do that. The KS has been essentially retired since 1999 when I got my Rifles, Inc. in .338 Win. Mag.

Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the action from the stock to see if there are any markings. Might have to do that. The KS has been essentially retired since 1999 when I got my Rifles, Inc. in .338 Win. Mag.
On the McMillan versus Brown stock ID - its tough and I don't believe there is anything inside the stock to show who made it. The easiest way to tell is the cut-out for the bolt handle. On the Brown stocks the cut-out is more straight versus the McMillan is a bit more curved or contoured toward the back if that makes sense. See attached picture - also the ejection port cut-out on the McMillan looks different.
Brown at top and McMillan on bottom.