Remington 700 Compact

I am forever tinkering with new rifles. I can pick up a 700 compact sps/blued in 7-08 for cheap 99 right now on clearenece. I am thinking of dropping it into another stock and maybe swapping trigger. Purpose of rifle would be lightweight hunting rig. Maybe goats/sheep.

I am once bitten twice shy about Remington’s right now and a tikka convert. What do you think about this setup and what would you do to it if you grabbed it? Looking for brainstorm on if this is justifiable.

TauPhi111

WKR
We all know about Remington's iffy QC, but you cant even buy a bare action for 99 bucks most of the time, so I'd buy it. If it turns out to be a lemon, I'm sure you could have a gunsmith work the action over and build a very nice rifle off of it. I'd go for it.

Or if you don't want to go through the hassle of a build, let me know and I'll buy it off you for that much.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I guess I've been lucky the last few years. I haven't run into the first bad Remington.
If it were mine: I'd put in a Timney trigger, McMillan edge fill stock, Talley lightweight rings, and Leupold VX3I 3.5-10x40 or a 4.5-14x40.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for buying it. My current favorite hunting rifle is a Remington 700 sps ss in 270 wsm that I upgraded with a Timney trigger and HS Precision stock. Maybe I got lucky but it shoots great.

OP
O
I should also mention the other option is a sps 308 threaded barrel. They are same price.

I'm with everyone else, its a no brainer! I am also a Tikka fan, but you could change out the stock and trigger and still if you are unhappy sell it and not be out any $$. I would prefer the 7/08 but if you want to go suppressed the 308 is a step closer.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Most likely it will be a fantastic little rifle right out of the box. If not, and you purchased it for the right price it will make for a fun project. Win win bro!