Remington 700 Direct Mount Scope Rings Talley/20MOA

I've finally decided to put a decent scope on my hunting rifle after 10 years. After the scope arrived I realized my new scope won't fit in my old rings. Of course a google search for scope rings for my rifle opened pandoras box and after a lot of searching still don't have a great answer.
  • Rifle = Remington 700
  • Scope = Arken SH4 6-24X50 GEN2 - 34mm Tube
  • Mount Style = Direct to Rifle
Ideally I'd like to get a ring that mounts directly to the rifle like my current style. Less moving pieces to worry about. So far I've read good things about this Talley mount:

Unfortunately, I didn't see an option for 20MOA with a 34mm tube for the Remington 700.

Is it advised to get a 20MOA scope mount if the ultimate goal is long distance shooting and hunting. (Long distance as in 600yd + and hunting with it ideally sited at 100yd.)

Any advice is appreciated!

Nightforce 20moa rail
ARC 34mm medium height rings
If you buy quality and install it correctly you won’t have any issues.

Go with some Hawkins precision LR Hybrid rings. They are very well made and rock solid.

Edit: 805 beat me by a second haha
I believe Hawkins makes direct mount Talley style rings in 34mm, as long as you have sufficient mounting length on the scope that’s the route I’d probably go. Short tubes and long actions can be tricky and will probably require a rail and pic rings.

wapitibob

WKR
I would not use direct mounts on a Rem 700, done it twice and can't get the scope back far enough. Get an aluminum rail and light wt rings with stainless cross bolts. Nothing will move.

I would not use direct mounts on a Rem 700, done it twice and can't get the scope back far enough. Get an aluminum rail and light wt rings with stainless cross bolts. Nothing will move.
Long action? Talley makes an option for a front offset ring that gains you an extra 3/8 inch of rear travel with the scope

OP
B
Thank you all for the quick responses!

Is there a benefit to direct mount vs. one piece vs a rail and 2 rings?

@wapitibob do you have any suggestions?
@SomeJackassOnAForum hence the "+" after the 600. I'd prefer to set this rifle up to allow long range shooting and still serve as my multi-purpose hunting rifle. This may not be possible and have to choose between the two?

Any thoughts on a 20MOA setup vs not?

OP
B
@Cahunter805 @CApighunter those Hawkins direct mount rings seem perfect. Do you know how to make sure I'll have enough clearance with those?

It's a 7mm mag, so long action. Do either of you lap those rings or is that not necessary with a direct mount?

Thank you all for the quick responses!

Is there a benefit to direct mount vs. one piece vs a rail and 2 rings?

@wapitibob do you have any suggestions?
@SomeJackassOnAForum hence the "+" after the 600. I'd prefer to set this rifle up to allow long range shooting and still serve as my multi-purpose hunting rifle. This may not be possible and have to choose between the two?

Any thoughts on a 20MOA setup vs not?

That scope has 108.8 MOA of turret travel, which means that with a 0 MOA base, your optical center will be at about 54.4 MOA from end of range, and with a 20 MOA base it will be 20 MOA below center at 74.4 MOA from end of range (up).

Some notable milestones for a 7mm Rem Mag shooting a 162 gr Hornady ELD-X Factory Load with a 100 yd zero at sea level:

600 yds is 11.25 MOA
800 yds is 17.75 MOA
1000 yds is 25.5 MOA
1200 yds is 35 MOA

Keep in mind, we're at 1200 yds and you've got 20 MOA left in your turret

Are there advantages to a 20 MOA base in this instance? Sure, you'll be dialing in towards optical center and be out around 1300 yds before you're ever more than 20 MOA from optical center either down or up, which will give you access to the clearest part of your scope, however, if "600+" means 800 yds, then none of that matters. All of that also assumes that this scope actually tracks (no idea if it does or not).

That scope has 108.8 MOA of turret travel, which means that with a 0 MOA base, your optical center will be at about 54.4 MOA from end of range, and with a 20 MOA base it will be 20 MOA below center at 74.4 MOA from end of range (up).

Some notable milestones for a 7mm Rem Mag shooting a 162 gr Hornady ELD-X Factory Load with a 100 yd zero at sea level:

600 yds is 11.25 MOA
800 yds is 17.75 MOA
1000 yds is 25.5 MOA
1200 yds is 35 MOA

Keep in mind, we're at 1200 yds and you've got 20 MOA left in your turret

Are there advantages to a 20 MOA base in this instance? Sure, you'll be dialing in towards optical center and be out around 1300 yds before you're ever more than 20 MOA from optical center either down or up, which will give you access to the clearest part of your scope, however, if "600+" means 800 yds, then none of that matters. All of that also assumes that this scope actually tracks (no idea if it does or not).
That’s assuming the optical center and the centerline of the bore are lined up. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of adjustment to get elevation dialed and zeroed.

@Cahunter805 @CApighunter those Hawkins direct mount rings seem perfect. Do you know how to make sure I'll have enough clearance with those?

It's a 7mm mag, so long action. Do either of you lap those rings or is that not necessary with a direct mount?

I have never had to lap a set of Hawkins rings. If you want direct mount rings these are definitely a good choice. With a 50mm objective you “should” be ok lows.

That’s assuming the optical center and the centerline of the bore are lined up. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of adjustment to get elevation dialed and zeroed.

Usually not a significant amount, though it's possible. In this particular case, he could be off 25 MOA (A massive and silly alignment error) and still get to 1k with normal rings/bases.

Vern400

WKR
If it's a hunting rifle, and you're not going to change stuff around, get a Game Reaper mount. It's ONE PIECE with little half caps to hold the scope. It's the ruggedest mount made, but VERY specific to your gun and scope size. You might break the scope, or you could even break it off dropping the rifle some distance. But you won't likely ever "mysteriously lose zero".

If you like to swap around components it's not for you.

OP
B
Went with the Hawkins Long Range Hybrid Rings low, hopefully there's enough room. We'll see in a week!