Remington 700 ML

JaredJ

WKR
I am considering buying a used Remington 700 ML. Does anyone have any experience with them or give any pointers.

ENCORE

WKR
Unless you plan on converting it to a .45cal, there are probably other better muzzleloaders.
All depends on what your long range expectations are.

The old original 700 is not that bad of a rifle. It really was a good ML for me for years. Basically back then there were two different models of the rifle a shorter 24" barrel and the longer 26" barrel brought out a few years after the older 24's. The stock to barrel fit of the older models was usually better than the newer 26" barrels. Both could shoot very well to 200+ yards.

The biggest weakness in both of them was the factory 209 ignition. In the beginning they came out with cap ignition and it performed very well. Then the shotgun primer craze started and Remington offered a 209 ignition. It was a mess but it worked. Also while the gun appears to be a bolt action rifle it really isn't. The firing pin/hammer can be pushed back off the ignition post by blow black pressure - so the breech really does get dirty.

This is a picture of the bolt area of the rifle. It is built off the Remington short action 700

Blowbackexternal.jpg

This is the Rem 209 ignition system. In this picture you can see I fashion a piece of copper to put on the end of the bolt to contain the blow back residue.

BoltNippleBP.jpg

Remington 700ML

Remington-700-ML.jpg

It's a good gun to build on. If you would be interested in flipping it I would be interested in it at the right price. Assuming it is an older Remington 700 ml. Not the ultimate.

FLS

WKR
They were very good guns and have a strong following. I bought an after market ignition upgrade from a guy in Canada, that eliminated the residue and blowback you got from the factory vented nipple. Mine was inconsistent with pellets but a tack driver with loose Triple 7. If I could get one for a good price I’d buy it in a second.

tlsmith22

FNG
I have one that I got last year. Its the RUM with the laminated stock. I bedded it and put a TT trigger in it, put a Nightforce NXS on it and started load development with it to shoot BH209. I know everyone says you should shoot it but I have had zero issues. I shoot the 300 gr Parker Match bullet and based on the ballistics I feel the effective range is 525. The wind blows the piss out of those slow fast bullets so keep that in mind. I had a custom turret made for my NF after I dialed in a load and killed a doe at 408 last yr with it and she was DRT. FYI, it kicks like a mule. I am mulling over the idea of putting a smokeless Hankins barrel setup on it though.

I have one of the original Remington 700 ML's in 54 cal. that has never been fired.

I would like to get rid of it if anyone is interested.

ClearCreek

OP
JaredJ

JaredJ

WKR
The ML I have used caps and still has the original bolt and nipple system. Any thoughts on the 209 upgrade?

FLS

WKR
I upgraded mine. Kit is all stainless and I got it from a guy in Canada. Eliminated blowback from vented nipple and improved ignition.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you that have used the original 700ml with the 209 conversion. We’re you able to ignite bh209 powder?the other day I bought one with the 209 primer set up. I loaded mine up for the first time With BH209 and a 300gr Hornady xtp in a sabot and it didn’t ignite the powder. The primer blew and I stood there waiting for a long time and it didn’t go off. Do I need to try a different powder that is easier to ignite?

FLS

WKR
I’ve never used anything but Triple 7. I had problems with pellets in extreme cold, and went to loose powder. Never had another issue.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I was told that triple 7 would be the way to go. If muzzleloader season hadn’t started today I would order one of the ASG upgrade breech plugs, but I think it too late for using BH209 this year.

Elkhntr08

WKR
BH209 won’t work in mine at all. Have an after market 209 conversion in it and light Triple 7 every time. I do like that blow back sleeve.
I have the old model with 24” barrel and camo stock. Had a CPO check me once because he thought I was using a center fire rifle.

Foul-up

FNG
I know this is a long shot but Clear Creek did you move your 54? I may have an interest, love my Rem 700 50 caliber.
Thanks,

I bought mine way back when they first came out...in fact my serial number is 0000962. That said I have had nothing but good to say about the gun except that it is very heavy.

I have a stainless version with Leupold QD rings and a fixed Burris scope. I can literally shoot a 240 grain slug / sabot propelled with BH 209 into a 2" group at 100 yards.

What you say? I had this rifle converted from a nipple gun to a primer gun by Badger Ridge Industries ( https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/c1/Store ) (Michigan) and they are experts on these rifles.

I just sighted mine in yesterday (open sites) for a hunt this fall in Colorado. Thor 240 grain projectiles, 100 grain (V) of Triple Seven with ignition from a Triple Seven primer. (Dry patch between shots).

BH 209 just does not seem to seal well with the Thor or Bor-Locks so I have been using 777.

Hope this helps.