Remington 700 ML

I have a very early Remington 700 ML in 50 cal. I have had this rifle converted to 209 primers by Badger Ridge Industries and have had great success with sabot rounds.

I hunted Colorado for Mule Deer in 16 with Bor Lock projectiles with modest success.....I have just received some Thor Hammer 250 grain to try.

Can someone share their experiences with load sizes so I do not waste all that I have searching for a good starting point. I have Black Horn and 777 at my disposal and my barrel twist rate is 1 in 28.

Blessings~

I used a couple of Rem 700's for several years they were really decent ML's.

1656827064201.png

1656827143033.png

At that time I was shooting T7 powder 100 to 120 grains and Nosler 458x300 grain partitions.

Target.jpg

I did also try shooting BH 209 with a 209 ignition system installed

9-8-Rem-Targ-BHLabel.jpg

It really is to bad that Remington dropped out of the market place.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 275 gr. Parker Ballistic Extremes over 120 grains of Triple Seven out of my 700 muzzy , shoots lights out !

OP
Huntingfarandwide
Thank you for the input.....I started yesterday with 100 grains (V) of BH209....did not seem to burn well and therefore did not group.

I used the same load in 777 and it shot a 1.5" 3 shot group (with a scope) off of bags. Forgot my cleaner so that was all I could get out of it before fouling took over....but a good start.

FLS

WKR
I’ve got one that I love. I put a 209 conversion kit in it and I shoot Triple Seven under a Barnes TEZ everywhere except CO. I shoot a 300 Gr Thor over 777 with a Williams rear peep and FO front sight in CO.

FLS

WKR
Update. I drew a CO muzzy tag, and pulled my 700 ML and took the scope off and put the rear peep back on. Shot 3 shots at 100, made a small adjustment then shot two more. 300 grain Thor, 100 gr by volume of Triple 7, Remington primer. I keep looking at the new muzzys, but I honestly don’t think I would gain anything. I’m going to buy another 700 ML and put a scope on it so I don’t have to keep switching back and forth. 4DF632FA-9466-483F-91DF-F32338E38430.jpeg

Foul-up

FNG
Update. I drew a CO muzzy tag, and pulled my 700 ML and took the scope off and put the rear peep back on. Shot 3 shots at 100, made a small adjustment then shot two more. 300 grain Thor, 100 gr by volume of Triple 7, Remington primer. I keep looking at the new muzzys, but I honestly don’t think I would gain anything. I’m going to buy another 700 ML and put a scope on it so I don’t have to keep switching back and forth. View attachment 431410
Nice. I also drew a CO cow elk, deer and bear. I had a cheaper H&R SS ML that does fine for Oklahoma deer but was looking for something with a little more reach. I found a Remington 700 MLS in 50 caliber and a Marlin SS ML in 54 caliber, at a pawn shop in OKC. Both are in excellent condition. The 700 is my first choice so anxious to see how your loading does in my rifle. Thank you for your input and hope hunt goes well. If it does please send pics.

Just sent my 700ml bolt to Badger Ridge last week for the 209 conversion,will be testing hard when it returns.Tony

The badger ridge conversion is well worth the money! My total load development with BH209 was 4 shots. 1st shot to confirm on paper and the next three went sub MOA.

Reactions: FLS

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I am confused. I just got a 700 ml (50 cal with 209 conversion) and I read here that some guys shoot BH 209 well and others can’t get good results. What is the difference? I really wanted to use the BH 209 that I have. Using fed 209A primers.

Thanks!

I am confused. I just got a 700 ml (50 cal with 209 conversion) and I read here that some guys shoot BH 209 well and others can’t get good results. What is the difference? I really wanted to use the BH 209 that I have. Using fed 209A primers.

Thanks!
My 700 would shoot BH very well. Really do not think you need a mag primer though. The 700 BP is so short regular shot gun primers shoot very well. With a Mag primer you will tend to close the flash channel in the breech plug down very quickly.

No matter which primer you might use you will need to hand drill out/clean the flash channel of the breech plug.

Also I would mention do not try to clean the flash hole with anything metal. It erodes quick enough without helping it get larger. Normal soaking the BP in a cleaning solution after drilling out the flash channel will clear the flash hole. Blowing compressed air through the flash hole will clear it in most cases after soaking

bp-diagram.jpg

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I use 105 bh209 by volume, 250gr Shockwave waves, and harvester crush rib sabots

I also have the badger ridge conversion. IMO, the only way to go with a 700ml

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again Sabotloader! My rifle should be here Friday. First thing is a complete cleaning to figure out what I have to work with. Plan is to set it up for Colorado legal elk hunting, so no sabots and open sights. Anyone have a recommendation on bullets? Load with bh209?
Thanks for all responses!

OP
Huntingfarandwide
Thanks again Sabotloader! My rifle should be here Friday. First thing is a complete cleaning to figure out what I have to work with. Plan is to set it up for Colorado legal elk hunting, so no sabots and open sights. Anyone have a recommendation on bullets? Load with bh209?
Thanks for all responses!
I had good results with Thor Bullets.....