Remington 700 SS Mountain Rifle experiences and thoughts.

wvincent

FNG
Just like the title says, any thoughts or comments on these as far as quality, issues, etc.

There is a nice one in 270 in the classifieds here that I am interested in, will probably be hitting it up after my 10 post and 7 day limit are reached.

I haven't used a 700 action in years, been primarily using an X-Bolt or T3, but this Remmy checks all the boxes on what I want for this project, project meaning putting a Zeiss or Kahles on it and learning it inside out before 2020 West and East River opener's.

jolemons

WKR
I own one in .270 and it didn't shoot to my satisfaction. I had it rebarreled and haven't spent much time behind it since. Good looking gun, but you'll need to replace the trigger at the least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
W

wvincent

FNG
I own one in .270 and it didn't shoot to my satisfaction. I had it rebarreled and haven't spent much time behind it since. Good looking gun, but you'll need to replace the trigger at the least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Issue with factory ammo or your own loads?

BjornF16

WKR
I bought a Rem 700 Mountain SS in 280 Rem a few years ago...the best I could get it to shoot was 3 MOA with a variety of factory ammo.

I had gunsmith toss the barrel, true the action, replace trigger, mated it with 23" Bartlein 2B barrel chambered in 280 Rem, and properly bedded the action in a McMillan stock.

It now shoots better than I can...I managed 0.35 MOA at 100 yards shooting Hornady factory ELD-X. My only issue with it now is that it is heavier than I want to lump around in the mountains chasing elk (it weighs in over 10 lbs) and I wish I had gone 280 Ackley.

Plan on investing some coin to make it a shooter.

Personally, I'm done buying large production factory guns at retail prices. For the amount I bought it for, then invested in it, I could have had a nice semi-custom gun made.

I just bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM, 22" barrel. It weighs exactly 8.0 lbs with Z5 scope, Harris bipod, and Omega can. The Harris Bipod is nearly 1 lb alone. It is sub-MOA at 200 yards with Hornady factory 147 ELD-M.

If/when Barrett releases the 280 Ackley, I'll buy one of those. Others on my candidate list were CA Mesa, CA Ridgeline, Seekins PH2 or Element, Bergara Premium and going custom.

Not trying to talk you out of the Mountain SS...just need to go into it with eyes wide open. YMMV.

BjornF16

WKR
Maybe Jolemans and I are just unlucky ;); or maybe 939 is lucky...

If you can get it for good, discounted price (used), then it won't hurt as much.

Trees91

WKR
I got mine on closeout so cheap I figured I could put some money into it. 7mm08, Manners eh8, trigger tech primary, bolt fluted, different handle and badger mini knob. Shoots 120 ballistic tips with varget well under an inch. Cheap factory right at an inch. Really the only thing to help accuracy wise is the trigger. I never did shoot it in the Bell and Carlson stock. 6lbs 9oz with FxIII 6x42.53B4FC7A-3EDD-4B14-A202-B4854E45D62E.jpeg

OP
W

wvincent

FNG
I got mine on closeout so cheap I figured I could put some money into it. 7mm08, Manners eh8, trigger tech primary, bolt fluted, different handle and badger mini knob. Shoots 120 ballistic tips with varget well under an inch. Cheap factory right at an inch. Really the only thing to help accuracy wise is the trigger. I never did shoot it in the Bell and Carlson stock. 6lbs 9oz with FxIII 6x42.View attachment 142158
What did your final weight end up as?

OP
W

wvincent

FNG
Yeah, that's a weight I could live with, thanks for your input.
I'm just going to have to contact the seller and see how it shot for him, factory vs handloads.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I owned one in 280 Rem. Couldn’t get it to group with factory or hand loads. Payed $900 for mine. Wish I would have found my Tikka before I bought it.

come2elmo

WKR
Have same rifle. Shoots my handloads sub moa. Trigger is adjustable and they have it set by the lawyers so you want to work with it before you replace it. Nice fit and finish and it locks up tight. Can’t beat the price

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My buddy has one in 25-06, he’s killed a bunch of nice sheep with it. He loads his own Ammo and hasn’t had any issues with it, he really likes it.

Wrench

WKR
My 270 is the original ti version, so same barrel just a bit lighter. I have A LOT of rifles. If the day came that I was told to pick one to keep and the rest had to vanish.....it would be my 270ti. Mine will do 5 into .75 and is a joy to carry. One does have to understand how to shoot light rifles if you want to be accurate.

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
Have had a 280 for about 17 years or so, started out not very accurate, but found front swivel stud had gone through forearm and resting on barrel. Got Hogue stock, now less than1" w/ simple handloads. One issue, mine had detectable box magazine...makes it a little heaver.

elkguide

WKR
I have one of the very early ones in .280. (Whatever the first year they were produced in stainless.) It has the cheap plastic stock from Remington on it and will easily stay under MOA. Was always going to upgrade the stock but it shot so well that I have just left it like it came other than adjusting the trigger.