Remington 700 Trigger not centered in trigger guard

So I bought a Remington 700 used, and upon getting home I noticed the trigger isn’t sitting centered in the trigger guard, and one corner almost appears to be sticking out of the guard. Is there a known reason why this might be and can it be fixed? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20

BBob

WKR
Not uncommon at all. I've had actions in my hands where it appeared the machining was done on several different planes. Scope base holes didn't align with the trigger with neither aligning with action screws and none of the above aligned with bolt raceway or any combination of the above. They built some winners for sure. If you have one that has any of the above issues it is what it is. There is a possibility that it's a stock inlet issue and the bottom metal is sitting crooked or something along those lines and that could be corrected.

OP
N
Not uncommon at all. I've had actions in my hands where it appeared the machining was done on several different planes. Scope base holes didn't align with the trigger with neither aligning with action screws and none of the above aligned with bolt raceway or any combination of the above. They built some winners for sure.
Feels like an aftermarket trigger but I’m no expert, can I undo whatever has been done? Or is this more than likely an issue for a gunsmith to solve? I don’t particularly like how easily I could accidentally set this trigger off by snagging it on something.

BBob

WKR
I'd look at how the bottom metal is sitting in the stock. Does the bottom metal (trigger hoop) line up vertically with the stock? Is the scope base level with the top of the forend or is it canted? You can pull the barreled action, put the action screws back in it and see if they align vertically with the trigger. If you can't figure it out no harm in seeking out a reputable gunsmith to take a look at it. A good one should be able to give you an answer fairly easy.

Wrench

WKR
Recoil lug is probably not centered. Pull the action and you can tell.

Either open the recoil lug inlet or re center the lug if that is the case. The likelihood of the action screws being that far out is super low.

Wrench

WKR
Ps, DO NOT bed the action if the lug is out of index....she won't come apart.

I’ve had a similar issue where I bought a bedded stock from someone on here, they did a poor job and caused it to be misaligned

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Remingtons often have recoil lugs canted/misaligned. One quick twist of the barrel from your gunsmith and it can be re-aligned and then snugged back up again.