Remington 700 Upgrade or Buy New Tikka?

gearguywb

WKR
I looked at the Tikka offerings a couple of days ago at Scheels. I have always been a 700 guy but I have to say , I was impressed.

Would have grabbed one but they do not make a 6.5PRC.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I just did what you're looking at doing. I upgraded my 15 year old M700 SPS 30-06 this past winter and am very happy with the results. I replaced the stock with a B&C Weatherby Style stock, put a Triggertech Primary in it, and upgraded the scope rings with Talleys. It still shoots great and does everything that I need it to. If you order a B&C, give them a call first to discuss the fit between your specific rifle/barrel and the model you're looking at ordering. I had a great experience with their customer service.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wJUyUwfZOV0/XuuS91cK5qI/AAAAAAAAwF0/kSjpxXtdb4QCYHuWTgWm2hVvgkRAs9MVgCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-06-18.jpg

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded my Ruger M77 years ago with a new stock and trigger. I had originally bought a Bell and Carlson, and I took it to 3-4 gunsmiths to install. Two of the gunsmiths said they wouldn’t install any stock other than McMillan, and the others said they would install the B&C, but they would only warranty the McMillan.

Enough said! Course, this was long before the Internet, so it was hard to get info on products.

B&C quality is likely much better, but I’d talk to gunsmiths, who are the folks who have to fix the problems with aftermarket stocks.

Also, I have a Timney trigger and a Trigger Tech single stage trigger. The Timney is good, the TT is very good.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’d upgrade the Remington personally. I don’t care for the feel of a Tikka. I know they are “smooth” but they just feel like plastic and aluminum. There is a reason custom rifle makers use blueprinted remington actions, or a dozen other custom options.

I like my Bell and Carlson stock, but if money weren’t an issue, I would absolutely get a McMillan. If you like the ergonomics of that MC3 stock that would probably be a great choice. I like a more classic stock on a hunting rifle.

The ADL is not necessarily a bad thing. Some custom rifle makers purposely put a blind mag on their mountain rifles. You can’t hit a release and lose ammo.

ericwh

WKR
I have a free-floated and pillar-bedded BDL with a Timney trigger and a completely stock Tikka. There is nothing I like better about the R700 except the long action mag box COAL capacity and the aftermarket trigger. Even considering the trigger I would take the Tikka every time. It carries better, it handles better, it fits me better, the bolt runs better, and it shoots better.

I will switch from my .30-06 BDL to a WSM Tikka whenever the right deal comes along.

EDIT: Plus the factory drilling and tapping on my R700 isn't straight so I can only use the goofy Leupold bases with built-in windage adjustments... Guess what, the Tikka is made right.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Do you mind cheap feeling plastic parts on a rifle? If no, get the Tikka. If yes, upgrade your 700.

The B&C stocks are good for the money, but they are no McMillian, AG Comp, Manners, Grayboe, etc. I have a couple B&C Medalists. One took some minor fitting, and the other more than that, but with some careful sanding/dremel work, they fit well now and do the job. They feel good in the hands and do a fine job of taming recoil.

Nothing wrong with an ADL config. Some people prefer it. If it were my gun, I'd call around to the various quality stock manufacturers and see what they had in stock that would fit your barelled action. Then I'd epoxy bed it, and install a Triggertech. You should be good to go and will have a quality rifle in your hands to be proud of. No plastic.

Braaap

WKR
Sell it and buy the Tikka. I sold a R700 bdl two years ago and bought a new t3x and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

My favorite rifle is a Remmy SPS stainless, w/McMillan stock, jewel trigger.

I don’t see a need to change the rifle make completely if you are happy with caliber and accuracy.

you will eventually look to change some of the same features on the Tikka if you go that route.

I went through a similar decision several years ago. Didn't like the trigger and the extra weight of my 700 in 7mm RM. Rather than dumping a lot of money into a new trigger and stock, I sold it to a buddy and bought a Tikka T3x in the same caliber. I found a good sale on the Tikka, so I was probably out $100 total to make the switch. I have no regrets on the decision and have really enjoyed the Tikka.

sdupontjr

WKR
Sell it and buy the Tikka. I sold a R700 bdl two years ago and bought a new t3x and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

I too did this. Took my 700 .308, broke it down. Installed a 20" select match Shilen barrel threaded for suppressor, jewel trigger, greyboe stock and it shot very well. Before this, I have shot my Browning Abolt 7 mag for about 23 years and I really liked the hinged floorplate with removable clip on my abolt. Clean lines but does allow for removable clip. It took some getting use to but the blind mag hinged floor plate of the 700 just wasn't the same. When I figured it out

Rem 700 BDL SS- $600 had gun for a little while before additions.
Jewel - $250
Shilen barrel - $350
Greyboe stock - $250
Buddy of mine cut me a deal on the gunsmithing and head spacing on it.

It shot very well and really likes it. When I shot my buddys Tikka, I was sold. So I picked up a used Tikka with very little shots down barrel for right at $600 shipped to my house. Came with both SA and LA mags, LA bolt stop, fluted bolt and painted original stock, I installed a $10 Elay precision trigger spring (BTW is very nice) and sanded the barrel channel down to free float the barrel. And to make matters worse, The Rem 700 shot handloads and the Tikka shoots Walmart Blue box 150's better than the custom Rem 700 shot the handloads and a fraction of the price. Some folks think you have to spend tons of money to get accuracy, and I got caught up in it. Not anymore, I still shoot my Browning 7 mag but this little .308 Tikka T3 is a cheap take driver.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of upgrading my Winchester M70...so, it's not quite the same thing. There's a LOT more aftermarket support for the M700. That said, here's my story:

The Winchester cost me twice what my Tikka did. I've spent the cost of the rifle again and more on upgrading it. I'm waiting on a trigger and a stock to arrive (five months so far on the latter). Even bedded with a new barrel, it doesn't out shoot my T3x. My hope is the new trigger and stock will do the trick.

Thus, if all goes well, I will have spent over $3000 dollars to get a Winchester M70 that shoots as well as a $700 Tikka. If I had it to go over again...

sdupontjr

WKR
Good point DJL2, I also forgot bedding. I had it done on mine as well so add that to the price.

Total Rem 700 noob here that just blindly won an auction for one today. I'm not even 100% positive what it is, but I am assuming it is a 2011 ADL. I rolled with the blind optimism that the recent QC problems/reputation has considerably devalued what should be (and hopefully is) a much more valuable rifle than what I paid for. I'm also a sucker for camo and getting something for half the buy now price. Lastly I have read so many times about how upgradeable Rem 700's are. See: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871832428

In the event this thing does turn out to be a dud, what exactly (in lamens terms) is the benefit of upgrading to the BDL bottom metal? I don't really see the benefit, though admit I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to rifles. Are the ADL models less "upgradeable" and consequently less worth keeping if they don't work well as configured?

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
There is a reason custom rifle makers use blueprinted remington actions, or a dozen other custom options.
Because Remington produced millions of them for dirt cheap, with tolerances sloppy enough to satiate the masses, but require “blueprinting” to satisfy any acceptable gunsmith’s requisite level of precision?

The ADL is not necessarily a bad thing. Some custom rifle makers purposely put a blind mag on their mountain rifles. You can’t hit a release and lose ammo.
That’s one of many reasons. ADL is going to be lighter, first and foremost.

McMillan is likely worth the money for a guy wanting a drop-in stock. It’s going to be lighter and if there’s any issues with the inlet, McMillan will take care of it. Pick your finish, length of pull, recoil pad, stud and pillar setup, barrel contour, and more, all basically included. Yup, there’s a lift but of a wait, but for a stock you’ll own forever, because you’re ordering exactly what you need, it’s not a big deal if you think about it from that perspective I’ve a soft spot for the ergos of my 700’s McMillan Classic.

This thread’s responses really make me wonder how many of the responders own and operate both platforms vs read about rifles “online” and cycled the bolt of a Tikka at Sportmans Warehouse a few times, yet still chime in.

I love the “it feels cheap and plastic” argument against Tikkas. Other than the polymer trigger guard and mags, about neither of which I’ve read a credible report of failure, what are these mystery plastic parts? Or are they just that, “feelings?” Tikkas check a ton of boxes (precision being one of them) right out of said box.

Last edited:
Remington has made the 700 since what '62. Over that many years quality is going to vary with the overall financial health of the company. I know GS that know what work a 700 might need based of the serial number. Or at the very least can develop a list of things to check from the serial number.

If you have a pre 2000 700 it's probably a shooter and worth keeping. NIB today I would be hard pressed not to go with a tikka.
Damn shame what's happen to Remington in the last 20 years...

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
My goal is to make it more accurate and more enjoyable to shoot. I plan on keeping it and possibly buying a tikka too so that I can have a second rifle for when family and friends come over to hunt.
Good call. Can’t see much positive in tripping a rifle that you’ve hunted with for > a decade and lacks any inherent major flaws. What’s it chambered in, as I didn’t see where you posted that, if you did?

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to look at Stocky rifle stocks you can get a BDL for about 219.00 and a bit less when they are on sale. The only negative review you will hear is the recoil pad is a bit stiff.
I have noticed that most tikka owners replace their factory stock as they leave a bit to be desired so you wont be one ahead but deeper down the rabbit hole.

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Sako Finnlight.. I bought mine in 300 WSM that I've used and abused on quite a few sheep, mtn goat, deer, elk, bear, and antelope hunts over the years. It is pretty darn light and a solid rifle for the $. 300 WSM hardly kicks and is a great all-round caliber for all North American species.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka’s factory synthetic stock is better (light, stiff, free-floatable, durable, solid ergos...) than any factory synthetic Ive run into. You can upgrade, but you don’t need to for any reason. It’s not the milk jug plastic job found on most other factory synthetic setups.
Just like “upgrading” the factory bottom “metal” that supports factory mags; there’s a market for guys who want to dump money into taking steps backwards.