Remington Mountain Rifle 700 KS 30-06

Looking for some advice on the possible purchase of said rifle. It’s in great shape, has had 1 spot touched up with correct paint. Matte blued with Kevlar stock. All original. Has the box.
I don’t own many Remingtons (not a huge fan of the two position safety). But if the price is right I may pick it up and give it a trial run. I have read and know enough to peak my interest.
I can’t find a lot of info on the value, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. In case I decide to let it go, I don’t want to be upside down on it.
Appreciate any feedback

wyosteve

WKR
I have 2. Love the feel of the stock and the weight. shoot very well. I'd say $1250 give or take a bit is where the market seems to be. The one in your pic. looks like it might be one of the early ones with the McMillan stock which are very desired.

OP
M
I have 2. Love the feel of the stock and the weight. shoot very well. I'd say $1250 give or take a bit is where the market seems to be. The one in your pic. looks like it might be one of the early ones with the McMillan stock which are very desired.
It did feel really nice and well balanced. I believe the gentleman said he bought it in the early 90s

I have one of the mountain rifles of the walnut stock varieties. The synthetic stock would be even better. Remingtons of that vintage are solid. I would say to grab it.

I have a .280 KS that I bought new and its a fantastic rifle. Probably the best rifle Remington ever built and there is a huge following of KS rifles. This one appears to be an early 90's rifle which IMHO where some of the best. Mine is also a "C" action. Depending on actual build date it could be a Brown Precision stock which some feel are even nicer than the later McMillan stocks but both where great. If you can get some additional pictures that would be really helpful on the value but finding clean one is always nice and if the price is reasonable grab it (y)

Grumman

WKR
I’ve never had one but wouldn’t hesitate if the price was right. Those KS rifles seem nice and always seem to be in demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
i had a custom ks in 7stw that i loved. one day i was playing around and noticed the barrel wasn't fully free-floated so i sanded down the the stock a little. accuracy went to crap and upon some research (that i should have done first...) sounds like some of the thinner-barrel rifles intentionally leave a pressure point. i tried building that back up but ended up having another barrel put on.

At that price you would be getting a super deal IMHO. They really are a great hunting rig, the barrel contour it unique to the KS and one of the best ever built.
Teaser:)

OP
M
I'm going to try and get some additional pictures. Is there much of a difference in value depending on the stock (Brown/McMillan)? I read where the Brown has more of a rounded over ejection area and the McMillan is a flatter surface.
Sounds like anything south of 1K is a good price. Appreciate the input offered and look forward to others shedding some light.

I have read a lot about Remington Mountain rifles as part of pre-purchase research. They are known to be finicky. Mine in 6.5 Creed has yet to give me better than 2 MOA with 3 hand loads and one factory load. I really want the gun to work out because I love the feel and balance, but I am not overly hopeful at this point.

ETtikka

WKR
One similar to that sold on here for 1000$ a few days ago, so Im guessing 1200 or less would be ideal depending on the condition.

eamyrick

WKR
Just go ahead and let me know where it is at and I’ll send them $1200 to begin a long term evaluation. Great rifles.

I'm going to try and get some additional pictures. Is there much of a difference in value depending on the stock (Brown/McMillan)? I read where the Brown has more of a rounded over ejection area and the McMillan is a flatter surface.
Sounds like anything south of 1K is a good price. Appreciate the input offered and look forward to others shedding some light.
On the Brown versus McMillan, some really like the Brown but I can't really tell the difference between the 2 as far as quality. The Brown was maybe just a hair lighter weight but either is a fine stock. And yes you can usually tell on the ejection port the Brown is a little more rounded on the edges.

I have read a lot about Remington Mountain rifles as part of pre-purchase research. They are known to be finicky. Mine in 6.5 Creed has yet to give me better than 2 MOA with 3 hand loads and one factory load. I really want the gun to work out because I love the feel and balance, but I am not overly hopeful at this point.
The KS isn't the standard Mtn rifle. These where built in the Remington Custom Shop and had a barrel contour that was unique to the KS Mtn Rifle. I don't think I've ever heard of one that didn't shoot great.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a left hand KS in 300 RUM. Even with me behind it, I haven’t had any trouble getting 3 shots into an inch or less with a few different bullets. I really like the stock and I recently picked up a KS stock to use on a 280 AI.

BTW - the magnum version of the KS rifle is quite a bit heavier than the non-magnum.

A7122149-08EB-4237-BF9F-04DCAEB19BDD.jpeg

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of the early ones with A Macmillan stock in 338 win mag. I doubt I’ll ever part with it.

wyosteve

WKR
One of mine is also .338 Win. Mag. I bought it New the first year they came out which was 1987 or 1988. Won’t sell it as long as I can still crawl up a mountain!!

Broomd

WKR
I had a lh .270 KS that was a lights-out shooter. As everyone has stated, fabulous riffles whether in the Micky of Brown's furniture.
Killed some great game with that gun!

I'd get that one in the fold asap.