Remington Remage?

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
What's the collective opinion on Remage (prefit) barrels for Remington 700 actions? Looks like I can get just the blued long action and bolt for about $350, and then a McGowen barrel (280 AI) for $400ish plus trigger, stock, & bottom metal and be on my way to a semi-custom budget friendly rifle. I've built tons of AR15 uppers but never messed with bolt guns much

Apollo117

WKR
Don't forget the barrel vice, action vice, torque wrench, go gauge, and no-go guage.

It's not complicated, but it's not as simple as just screwing in a barrel.

*Edited to remove comment about short actions.

You shouldn’t need a barrel vice if ur barrel is a throwaway. Use a pipe wrench.

use a piece of tape on back of go gauge as ur no go gauge...

Depending on ur level of expertise, you might want to start each piece of the puzzle at a time. Getting actions to feed and all that can be a pain.. same with triggers and bedding.

Get all ur parts and send them to shaen (shooter71) he’ll be fast and you’ll know it hammers.

btw Northland shooter supplies stainless criterion barrels have a reputation to hammer and at 300$ and change good value.

wapitibob

WKR
The problem with the remage is the stock rem action threads are likely poor and if you open up the pitch dia to true it up the stock remage barrel threads won’t fit for beans. I think you’re better off spending $1000 on an action that’s spec’d for a pre fit and then you can spin new barrels on it till you’re too old to hunt.