Remington ultimate

I’ve got a new Remington ultimate muzzy I’m trying to find a good starting point with a load. What are you guys using and what is your effective range. I’d like to try black horn 209

ENCORE

WKR
Start with the recommended load first. Some shoot better with a reduced charge of 3 T7M pellets or even 3 50/50 pellets. 300gr bullets work will in the 1:26 twist.

As for BH209...……….. DO NOT shoot it from your RUM with the OEM breech plug. Remington will not warrant the rifle and breech plug if it is known to have been shot with BH. Although Remington hardened the breech plug, they are still prone to gas cutting and it is amplified by shooting BH. Yeah, there are those who say they shoot BH with no problems. Its not a matter of if, its when.
The PP brass primer carriers are another problem and the Remington cases are known to be exceptionally bad. Head thicknesses on them can vary up to .020" and interior flash holes in the case off center.

The VERY BEST thing that you can do with your rifle, is to replace the OEM breech plug with a Gen2 breech plug from Arrowhead Rifles. It will never leak, never needs replacement and is guaranteed for life.
I'd recommend that modification before I shot the rifle even once. You can shoot BH209 without issue.

WKR
I agree with Encore. I would just switch out the breech plug to Arrowheads breech plug and not worry about it. I had Arrowhead replace my barrel and breech plug on my UML and its a totally different rifle.

LWH723

FNG
If you're going to stick with factory barrel, guys have been having good luck with the 300gr X-series and a Harvester Red Crush Rib.

Other combos may work, but I recommend finding something with a tight fit. As others have said, changing out the BP is a good idea. Although, I recommend shooting gun and see if there's any accuracy potential before spending more $$ on upgrades to it. A lot of the factory barrels shoot great, but some are junk.

Hpchacrx

FNG
Yea if your going smokeless there are a couple options with the breech plug already installed. Same stock ect

tlsmith22

FNG
I shoot the 300 gr Parker match bullet in mine. I shoot 108 grains by weight BH209, velocity is right at 2400fps which gives the bullet an effective range of about 525 according to Bob Parker. I personally took a doe at 408 last year and she was DRT. I had the custom turret tape made for the NF NXS it wears.

I shoot the 300 gr Parker match bullet in mine. I shoot 108 grains by weight BH209, velocity is right at 2400fps which gives the bullet an effective range of about 525 according to Bob Parker. I personally took a doe at 408 last year and she was DRT. I had the custom turret tape made for the NF NXS it wears.
Hey TL, I'm new to the forum and saw your post. I am having a different experience with my UML. I am shooting a 300g parker bullet with 113.5g BH 209 getting 2230fps and my accuracy is inconsistent. Once time it shoots 1 1/4, next time it shoots 2 1/2. Are you using a sabot? If so, which one? I am looking for advice. I have been experimenting with my UML trying to find a hot load and am getting pretty frustrated.

ENCORE

WKR
Hey TL, I'm new to the forum and saw your post. I am having a different experience with my UML. I am shooting a 300g parker bullet with 113.5g BH 209 getting 2230fps and my accuracy is inconsistent. Once time it shoots 1 1/4, next time it shoots 2 1/2. Are you using a sabot? If so, which one? I am looking for advice. I have been experimenting with my UML trying to find a hot load and am getting pretty frustrated.
Are you swabbing between shots and if so, what's your procedure?

Are you swabbing between shots and if so, what's your procedure?
I cleaned my barrel well with Hoppes, ran a dry patch, fired a fowling shot, then fired 4 shots for a group without cleaning. Alternatively, I tried using a spit patch and a dry patch after each shot. This made loading significantly easier and smoother but neither method has provided repeatable or consistent good groups.
The killer is, the week before I fired a 4 shot group w 113.5g without cleaning in between and then fired a 5th shot after using a spit patch. I ended up with a 5 shot group that was 1 1/4. Between 110-115g, 113.5 showed the most promise.

ENCORE

WKR
I cleaned my barrel well with Hoppes, ran a dry patch, fired a fowling shot, then fired 4 shots for a group without cleaning. Alternatively, I tried using a spit patch and a dry patch after each shot. This made loading significantly easier and smoother but neither method has provided repeatable or consistent good groups.
The killer is, the week before I fired a 4 shot group w 113.5g without cleaning in between and then fired a 5th shot after using a spit patch. I ended up with a 5 shot group that was 1 1/4. Between 110-115g, 113.5 showed the most promise.

Are you using the OEM breech plug? If so, that can be a contributing factor, as the plug is actually designed for pellet use with its long flame channel.
An option to fix that, is the Arrowhead breech plug. MANY RUM shooters have made the switch. https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

Verify all torques for your mount and rings. If you're using Leupold standard mounts, those mounts are really not designed for the recoil of these rifles.

For swabbing, many have gone to the method of mixing Hoppes and 91% alcohol, 50/50. Damp patches, not wet patches. Some will run 2 damp patches followed by 2 dry patches, others 1 damp, 2 dry. Key is, nothing damp left in the barrel. BH loves pressure, so seat your bullets hard on the propellant.

Also, don't just look for a HOT load, my UF shot the best with 105grsW.

As for the Parker bullets, you didn't mention which one, but the Match Hunter is best used in SML rifles. The Black Max or the Ballistic Extreme are better choices.

I'm going to send you a PM...…...

Are you using the OEM breech plug? If so, that can be a contributing factor, as the plug is actually designed for pellet use with its long flame channel.
An option to fix that, is the Arrowhead breech plug. MANY RUM shooters have made the switch. https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

Verify all torques for your mount and rings. If you're using Leupold standard mounts, those mounts are really not designed for the recoil of these rifles.

For swabbing, many have gone to the method of mixing Hoppes and 91% alcohol, 50/50. Damp patches, not wet patches. Some will run 2 damp patches followed by 2 dry patches, others 1 damp, 2 dry. Key is, nothing damp left in the barrel. BH loves pressure, so seat your bullets hard on the propellant.

Also, don't just look for a HOT load, my UF shot the best with 105grsW.

As for the Parker bullets, you didn't mention which one, but the Match Hunter is best used in SML rifles. The Black Max or the Ballistic Extreme are better choices.

I'm going to send you a PM...…...
The bullet I am using was recommended by Bob Parker, its the 300g Flat Base Black Max B.C .377. He says it shoots the same as the Match Hunter but will expand at much lower velocities.
I read about the arrowhead breech plug and if I remember correctly the most compelling reason for it was the problems with the OEM breech plug getting gas cut by BH 209 so I called Remington and asked them about this issue. They denied any issues with gas cut breech plugs or warranty issues with BH209 so I let the idea go. I can't remember any claims that the arrowhead plug made their guns more accurate. Thanks for the feedback, I will look into your links.

ENCORE

WKR
The bullet I am using was recommended by Bob Parker, its the 300g Flat Base Black Max B.C .377. He says it shoots the same as the Match Hunter but will expand at much lower velocities.
I read about the arrowhead breech plug and if I remember correctly the most compelling reason for it was the problems with the OEM breech plug getting gas cut by BH 209 so I called Remington and asked them about this issue. They denied any issues with gas cut breech plugs or warranty issues with BH209 so I let the idea go. I can't remember any claims that the arrowhead plug made their guns more accurate. Thanks for the feedback, I will look into your links.

Typical reply by Remington. But its total BS. They're trying to save their ask.

I'm personal friends with Ken Johnston from Ultimate Firearms Inc., who invented the breech plug system, which Remington bought the rights to. I know these rifles quite well. All Remington did as far as changes, was the thread pitch and made the plug harder so it could be removed. Its still a 2 piece plug and it still gas cuts. Its daddy is the Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Express, which I owned and shot for years and before Remington came out with the RUM.

Remington had so many problems with those breech plugs gas cutting and having to replace them, that they completely stopped warranting the plugs … IF... it was known that BH2090 was used in the rifle. On one of the sites I recommended to you, that's in writing one of the members received. If you also notice in your owners manual, there's no mention of using BH209. If Remington started back up warranting their plugs that were shot with BH, then its because so many people refuse to use pellets and they had little choice.

Head spacing is miserable at best, then there's the PP brass primer carriers. The head web thickness on that brass can be as much as .020" variance. Its impossible to get a proper seal with cases that bad. If you can't get a proper seal, yes, it can affect accuracy.

Good luck.

Remington breech plug gas cut. Luke could probably send hundreds of these photos.

Gas cut Ultimate breech plug.jpg