Remote Cabin internet

rward3310

FNG
So here's the background. Ive got a remote cabin off the Elliot Hwy in Alaska. I plan on spending alot of time up there this spring and summer HOWEVER I'm also a full time college student at the University of Alaska, and plan on taking online courses. QUESTION IS, what are my options for internet? Its a tiny 16x24 dry cabin with no electricity besides a generator. I know there's got to be some internet option that doesn't require a wired router and antenna. There are nearby neighbors who live up there year round, and I know they've got internet. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
I used my cell phone as a hotspot when I lived remotely. Other option is satellite which is expensive and not very reliable. I had satellite internet for 12 years and not a big fan. Maybe better now. Might need a cell booster.

Having no batteries to charge sounds like cell is better option.

What milepost on the Elliot? I've installed Hughesnet sat-internet systems on the north slope, and they work okay for what you want, but require an antenna with line of sight to the satellite. There may we wireless options closer to Fairbanks, but they require a small antenna as well and you need line of sight to wherever the repeater is.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
MAn high speed internet at a remote cabin would be rad. Me and a few buddies snow machined out to a cabin a few weekends ago, it was about 60 miles out, it was absolutely awesome, even had a tv, dvd player, tons of DVDs and a bar but no internet.

We have a cell based system at our family cabin in Canada. It is slow and expensive. Does not support streaming video and requires AC power. If their are better solutions, I am all ears but i would consider the connectivity marginal for most purposes.

Baddog

WKR
No internet sounds great ! I feel obligated to answer business, family and friends calls and emails if I have service, but when I don’t have it, it ain’t an option! But I get you are in school... I can’t decide if I’d like online school or not. Going to class every day had it’s perks! But I guess all that is done online today as well...

Elon Musk is in the process of launching an army of satellites in what is to be 'the future of internet' - Starlink internet. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

We're participating in the Starlink beta test at work. We just received our equipment a few days ago and will be installing it soon. If they can deliver on their promises, it will be major improvement for us. We have staff in remote locations around the world.

OP
R

rward3310

FNG
What milepost on the Elliot? I've installed Hughesnet sat-internet systems on the north slope, and they work okay for what you want, but require an antenna with line of sight to the satellite. There may we wireless options closer to Fairbanks, but they require a small antenna as well and you need line of sight to wherever the repeater is.
84, after the turn at Livengood going towards Minto and Manley

OP
R

rward3310

FNG
I used my cell phone as a hotspot when I lived remotely. Other option is satellite which is expensive and not very reliable. I had satellite internet for 12 years and not a big fan. Maybe better now. Might need a cell booster.

Having no batteries to charge sounds like cell is better option.
There's no cell service out there. Nearest tower is 60 miles away.

z987k

WKR
Hughesnet is probably your only option at the moment. Starlink has some pretty amazing coverage, but you can see in this link, it's not this far north yet.

If you're used to 4g or even something 1999 would consider broadband, you'll hate hughesnet. 1mbps if you're lucky and latency in the 600-3000ms range.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
There's no cell service out there. Nearest tower is 60 miles away.

good luck. Hughes net has terrible CS and running the genny to power the router doesn't seem economic especially with gas prices and logistics in remote Alaska.

Last edited:
Neighbor had huesnet and just got Starlink. Was a constant fence line bitch session about huesnet. No word yet on starlink.

I use a cell booster and hot spot. Prevents having 2 bills, much cheaper.

84, after the turn at Livengood going towards Minto and Manley

RIght now, Hughesnet is likely your only option. There are more expensive systems as well that I also have installed up north, but they require a 1.2meter dish. Pm me if you want contact for the Hughesnet provider here in Fairbanks. We had starband for years out in the remote bush but they went out of biz, starlink looks similar but better.

Has anyone actually played with the starlink app for dish direction....thinking about doing this on top of my cargo trailer. Not sure how they have this thing setup to identify best direction...assuming using GPS to pin location and then do signal strength check for obstructions...anyone try getting their setup mobile yet?