Removing Fat/Silverskin While Cleaning an Elk in the Field?

ChrisAU

WKR
Anyone do this? I was trimming up a lot of whitetail meat to make jerky this week to take with us to CO next week (for the roadtrip), and it dawned on me that I was cutting off a lot of fat and silverskin, which has to amount to a fair amount of weight on a deboned elk? Anyone take time to meticulously clean meat while in the field? Or just focus on removing large pieces of fat? Example, the silver skin on backstraps. I bet that is not insignificant weight on an elk?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Depending on how long you're going to have it out before butchering it, you're just going to be trimming more good stuff that has dried/crusted before butchering. I find the fat and silverskin is easier to trim once a little drier.

Something to consider.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fat isn't really an issue on an elk......not much there to trim. And the silverskin would take way to long and too much effort in the field.

As alluded to the silver skin is invaluable I terms of protecting your meat as you get it out of the field. Unless you are far neater the I am out there that is.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I leave my elk in as big of pieces as I can in the field. I don't think of it as cutting the meat off the bone, rather cutting the bone out of the meat.

Wrench

WKR
You'll get sick of the bees screwing with you as you're screwing with the silver...

I wouldn’t break down my elk that much in the field. I prefer to make minimal cuts so I don’t expose it to any dirt or bacteria or even to the air. Trimming is for after everything is cleaned and I’m on a nice stainless table.