Removing inserts...

Who all has had luck removing inserts? I bought some arrows off the classifieds and wanted to switch from the aluminum inserts to the brass inserts. I watched a couple youtube videos showing the drill bit trick and also heating the field point which seems to be the two main methods people try. I got no where with the drill bit, so i decided to heat up the field point but ended up splitting the end of 2 arrows and pulling some of the carbon wrap out with the insert.

I stopped after 2 arrows. Anybody else had luck with these methods?

Never had the drill bit trick fail me. Probably goes without saying, but when you swing the arrow, you need to kinda "fling" it so the bit slides down the shaft - not like a baseball bat swing.

Careful when the insert comes out tho, stuff can go flying!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends on what kind of inserts and what type of glue they were put in with. If the 2-part 24-hour epoxy is used properly on HIT's, you're better off getting new arrows. I tried the drill bit method on a HIT one time and after several minutes I noticed a raised ring on the outside of the arrow shaft where the drill bit was actually mushrooming the back end of the HIT inside the shaft and pushing out on the carbon shaft. Also, heat is a no go with HIT's as well as it heats up too much of the shaft.

Beendare

WKR
If they were put in correctly with 2 part epoxy you won't get them out.
Thats ^ been my experience. I clean the inside of the shaft with Alcohol on a Q Tip, that epoxy adds to the strength of the whole setup.

I see some guys using hot melt but I shoot my BH's before a hunt into Mackenzies and have had the inserts pull out.

wapitibob

WKR
The best hot melt: Stanley GS500.

Never shot a broadhead into a mckenzie but other than that scenario points don't come out with that glue.

OP
T
I definitely gave the drill bit method a fair try and was swinging down but couldn't get the insert to budge. My guess is they were installed correctly with 2 part epoxy. I called customer service at Black Eagle and the guy told me that it's luck if they come out and not necessarily repeatable. My plan is to use a 75gr brass weight to thread into the back of the aluminum insert to get the weight that i'm looking for.

I have Axis arrows with the HIT insert and won't be trying to remove those now. They are underspined and i may try to cut them down from the nock end and re-fletch to see if they'll fly a little better and keep them for 3D shoots where there is a high probability for arrow loss.

BigDonk36

FNG
I bought a $10 soldering iron that has the removable tips. Then put in a 8/32 bolt (cut off the head) into the iron. Screwed on the arrows and let them heat up. These inserts were put in with a super glue like substance. Worked pretty good.

mikemcgivern

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on the glue. I use Bohning Insert iron and with a small amount of heat the brass comes right out. I have never had a glue failure with this set up. Just dont overdue the heat ha!

kkilt967

FNG
It depends on what kind of inserts and what type of glue they were put in with. If the 2-part 24-hour epoxy is used properly on HIT's, you're better off getting new arrows. I tried the drill bit method on a HIT one time and after several minutes I noticed a raised ring on the outside of the arrow shaft where the drill bit was actually mushrooming the back end of the HIT inside the shaft and pushing out on the carbon shaft. Also, heat is a no go with HIT's as well as it heats up too much of the shaft.
Same happened with me

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34