Removing Old Single Wide?

Anyone ever dealt with getting rid of a single wide on their property that was beyond repair? I’m about to make an offer on this place (Missouri) that has an old trailer that does not appear to be mobile. Also, the road isn’t wide enough anymore.

Do you think there is enough scrap value to entice someone to cut it up or am I looking at thousands out of pocket to get it out. It’s in the best build site so would need to go.

Attachments

• 9DD4D1BF-487D-4F5C-BE75-FFABF0BDAD6C.jpeg
    9DD4D1BF-487D-4F5C-BE75-FFABF0BDAD6C.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 135

slvrslngr

WKR
Depends on how fast you want it gone. I had an old camper trailer on my place and wanted it gone. It was too trashed to give away so my dad went to work and slowly dismantled it, throwing away what he could and recycling the rest. When it got to the frame we put a free trailer frame add on Craigslist and the frame was gone the next day. You could do something similar, it just takes time.

Another option is to contact your local fire department and see if they would be interested in doing a controlled training burn and get rid of it that way. Of course you would have a mess to clean up when it’s done.

Maverick1

WKR
Anyone ever dealt with getting rid of a single wide on their property that was beyond repair? I’m about to make an offer on this place (Missouri) that has an old trailer that does not appear to be mobile. Also, the road isn’t wide enough anymore.

Do you think there is enough scrap value to entice someone to cut it up or am I looking at thousands out of pocket to get it out. It’s in the best build site so would need to go.
Yes. I just went through this about a year ago. 10'x40' mobile home.

Tried to find someone to haul it away. No takers. Many of the people were too concerned about the condition of the axles and frame. Understandably, they didn't want to be stuck on the side (or middle!) of the road hauling an old mobile home. And, even if I could find someone to haul it away, the local dump/landfill would not accept items that large.

Ended up piecing things together. Called a local scrapper, and the local recycling outfit. Had the recyclers drop off a dumpster ($500 per load), and the scrapper and his crew of four guys came in and had it dismantled and off the property in about 4 or 5 days. My total cost was about $3500-$4000. ($2500 for the scrapper, and 2 or 3 loads in the dumpster.)

It worked out well. After stopping in to check on their progress, and seeing how much work was involved, (along with the potential for lead-based paint or asbestos) I certainly would NOT want to do this on my own. While I'm certainly capable, it was one of those things that it paid - for ME - to have someone else do the job.

Good luck!

OP
G
The burn option was brought up. Unfortunately, it’s pretty close to some large trees, including some beautiful pines, that would also need to be cut down otherwise they’d likely go up as well.

I’d like to save metal siding for deer blinds if I can figure out a reasonable way to get it off. Maybe some of the windows too. Beyond that,
I’m not sure what is usable. It was rough enough that I didn’t want to do more than poke my head in.

*zap*

WKR
12,000# mini hoe with a thumb, gas cut off saw & blades, dump truck. That would be gone in a few loads...is the landfill close? 3k tops if the landfill is nearby.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
"gift" it to the local fire department and let them have a fire training. They usually handle the mess.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

lamrim79

FNG
Yup I've done just that same thing in arizona. while a match is a great idea, the more intelligent approach for me anyway was calling a large tow company like the guys that tow big rigs when they are down. It's pricey but that big rig tow truck will rip just about anything out of the ground and pull it onto a flat bed to haul away. And Im good friends with a guy who runs a scrap yard. it was a bonanza for him. I didnt care about any profit but he made out nicely with the steel from the foundation and the aluminum from the walls and roof.

hodgeman

WKR
Strip off what you can. Rent an excavator- crush what's left and bury it.

You'll be amazed at how compact a single wide gets when you crush it with an excavator.

Rich M

WKR
Roll off dumpster, excavator w claw, cutoff torch.
$2k or less.

then you need to get the framework to scrap yard for maybe $500.

dont bury it. I look for stuff like that for a living. Itll cost at least $5-$10k in the future if you sell your land to a developer.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider

🔥

OP
G
I found a local FB group for the area and have a lot of interest in folks to remove/scrap it. Will see how sketchy they are but now is the time to do it.

There is nothing of any value (to me) there to steal right now.

Grumman

WKR
I have one on my property I need to get rid of since we are going to put a house in that spot. Fire department said we couldn’t burn it…. I have been using it as a deer blind with my son this week. Just after telling him to watch for soft spots I fell clear through the dang floor yesterday.

Even with a landfill 15 miles away it is gonna cost $3k to dispose. I’m not crazy about it but am leaning toward burying it with our trackhoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
We demo on average 6 per year. Show up with 324 excavator with hydraulic thumb and a roll off dumpster truck with a 40yd can. Usually takes 4 hrs. Ends up being 3-4 loads of demo depending on how full of contents it is. 1 load of scrap metal. I pull off the metal siding, all appliances, axles and the frame. With machine, truck and landfill $2400-$2600.