Renfro Outfitter Reviews

I’ve seen a few older threads on forums but wondering if anybody has used Renfro for drop camps in recent years. How was the hunt and experience overall? Cousin and I are looking to do a moose hunt and saw the have an option where they provide camp setup. Obviously Renfro’s associates speak very highly of themselves so hoping to get some firsthand experience here.

Thanks!

AKDoc

WKR
To be clear and up-front...I am definitely bias in favor of Wade Renfro. I've known his family for twenty-years, and he is a very good man. That said, Wade has also earned my favorable bias through his hard work, and I do not say that lightly.

In the past ten years I've booked at least fifteen different unguided hunts and remote unguided fishing floats with Renfro, and I'm already booked for two this year. I have been very satisfied with each adventure, and always consider myself fortunate and happy to spend hard-earned money to experience the remoteness of western Alaska. I tell Wade every year that I'm a customer for life (sorry I'm taking up booking space year after year guys!). The moose densities in the area that Renfro transports are likely some of the highest in the state. My hunting partner and I always bring back two bulls (edit: that's one bull each), and we see many more than that. So much more to say about that, but I'll stop. I wrote about our hunt last fall:

I don't want to make it sound like idyllic perfection each trip because there can be and sometimes are challenges along the way. Alaska is still a very wild and remote place...sh!t happens, it just sometimes does. The most common challenge is wx…the wx can be crazy tough and can last for days, especially out there in western Alaska. I've laid awake quite a few nights listening to the wind and rain absolutely pounding my tent. When the wx turns bad for flying, then things can get backed-up...it just happens, even though those guys are working long and hard days. I've been stuck in Bethel or in the field only a couple times over the years waiting to get out due to wx back-ups. It sure hasn't happened often, yet I always mentally prepare myself for that possibility with every trip I take...it just might happen (repeated intentionally), and it's out of my control. I can only control my reaction if it does.

Lastly, I can't speak to any of the Renfro rental gear or provided food...I do always see the guys working hard in the hangar preparing and caring for the gear they rent. I always bring my own gear and food, but that's just me. I'm pretty picky about my gear choices, and I live up here which might make logistics different than someone coming up from the lower-48.

Edit: I added the link to my 2022 fall hunt with Renfro (below)
2022-alaska-moose-14-day-diy-and-a-preseason-10-day-float.282169

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Anyone have some recaps from the 2022 season?

We’re looking at ‘26 right now. It’s down right difficult to get transporters to take your 10k/head. We have found a few transporters with availability, Renfro’s being one of them but some of the reviews that have been posted the past few years isn’t giving me the warm and fuzzies. Curious to see how 2022 went for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted with Renfros this year, we went 3/3 and were pulled out a day early on day 9. We had a great hunt and experience. Be prepared for the worse, we had horrible weather most of the trip. There was a little mass chaos going at times, but all in all the renfros staff at the hanger was great and did everything they could to make things go smooth as possible. I’d recommend them to anyone looking for high success DIY moose hunt

FLATHEAD

WKR
Did a Brown Bear hunt with them in 2011.
Everything went smooth, lots of Moose around for sure.
Not so much on the Brown Bear.