Renfros past hunting trips

Trozacky

FNG
1st post on here fellas. I'm headed out with Renfros this year. It's just gonna my dad and I in camp. Were super excited. Can you guys post some picks of your bulls if you hunted with them in the past? Any helpful tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
20151001_165619000_iOS.jpg

This was 2015, our first Alaska hunt. Drop camp. Great adventure.

Footwear: all you need is good waders and short rubber boots for camp shoes. It may be too wet to have dry feet in Crocs. Hiking boots will be worthless and wasted weight.

Take the outfitter crew's advice on calling. We were told to use bull calls and scrape a lot. That worked.

BOLO for beaver lodges. They have wood that will burn.

Wetfire is the best thing ever.

Rubber rain gear is the only good choice.

Small hatchet was our #1 favorite tool.

Sit tight, be patient. Stay quiet in camp. Both of our bulls were called from positions within 100 yards of camp. We saw many others, some larger, from camp.

Get real comfortable with the idea that your are on Mother's Nature's schedule and Renfro's schedule. When the plane drops you off, you have surrendered all control over timelines regardless of what was agreed upon. I cannot stress this enough. The world will turn without you and you can clean up the mess when you get home. We were done in 8 days but spent 15 nights.

Good luck!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Sit tight, be patient. Stay quiet in camp. Both of our bulls were called from positions within 100 yards of camp. We saw many others, some larger, from camp.

Get real comfortable with the idea that your are on Mother's Nature's schedule and Renfro's schedule. When the plane drops you off, you have surrendered all control over timelines regardless of what was agreed upon. I cannot stress this enough. The world will turn without you and you can clean up the mess when you get home. We were done in 8 days but spent 15 nights.

Excellent advice ^^^!!

I've gone with Renfro for the past five years...

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if you can put your camp where you have some elevation it will help. In our case, we were dropped in a swamp...but there was one lone spruce tree. We camped under that tree and climbed it to glass. Both those bulls were first spotted from our glassing tree.
P9180049.jpg

This is the bull we shot with them. A couple of tips that I would give.
- Take a hot tent. Being able to dry out at the end of the day is well worth it.
- Take a lightweight cot. You’ll spend a fair amount of time in the tent and that makes sleeping much better. Also take a lightweight chair. You’ll sit in it quite a bit.
- I felt like good chest waders (Boot fit) and a good overcoat was the way to go for rain gear. Could sit down, etc and not get a wet butt, but also hike without being too uncomfortable.
- We took a good pair of pruners and a small saw, as they were great for clearing an area and for firewood.
- Take comfort foods, a man can only eat so many mountain house before they hate life.
- Last thing that I would have changed/done differently...I would have figured out a better way to go the bathroom. If I were to do it again I would maybe take a 5 gallon bucket with a seat. I never could get comfy leaning over a log. I know that’s probably too much, but after 10 days it becomes an issue.

Attachments

• 4E2A25A5-0B05-491D-B336-91C5918C282A.jpeg
    4E2A25A5-0B05-491D-B336-91C5918C282A.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 96
Each bring a good book...lots of down time waiting to go out, waiting to be picked up, pouring rain, etc.

I will often thoroughly glass, take a break read 2 pages, thoroughly glasss, read 2 pages, etc.
Glassing is typically better than walking....

OP
T

Trozacky

FNG
View attachment 187342

This was 2015, our first Alaska hunt. Drop camp. Great adventure.

Footwear: all you need is good waders and short rubber boots for camp shoes. It may be too wet to have dry feet in Crocs. Hiking boots will be worthless and wasted weight.

Take the outfitter crew's advice on calling. We were told to use bull calls and scrape a lot. That worked.

BOLO for beaver lodges. They have wood that will burn.

Wetfire is the best thing ever.

Rubber rain gear is the only good choice.

Small hatchet was our #1 favorite tool.

Good luck!
That's awesome. Congrats on the bulls!

OP
T

Trozacky

FNG
This is the bull we shot with them. A couple of tips that I would give.
- Take a hot tent. Being able to dry out at the end of the day is well worth it.
- Take a lightweight cot. You’ll spend a fair amount of time in the tent and that makes sleeping much better. Also take a lightweight chair. You’ll sit in it quite a bit.
- I felt like good chest waders (Boot fit) and a good overcoat was the way to go for rain gear. Could sit down, etc and not get a wet butt, but also hike without being too uncomfortable.
- We took a good pair of pruners and a small saw, as they were great for clearing an area and for firewood.
- Take comfort foods, a man can only eat so many mountain house before they hate life.
- Last thing that I would have changed/done differently...I would have figured out a better way to go the bathroom. If I were to do it again I would maybe take a 5 gallon bucket with a seat. I never could get comfy leaning over a log. I know that’s probably too much, but after 10 days it becomes an issue.
How big was your bull? Love the palms on him.

How big was your bull? Love the palms on him.
He was right at the 60” mark. He was an old bull likely in regression. We actually found his sheds from probably 1-2 years before and he was bigger then. But I was still ecstatic about him. Exactly what I wanted. Big palms and lots of character. He had been shot at before that season. He had a hole in his ear and one of his front times was shot off. Makes for a good story. Hope you have a great trip. One trip that I will never forget and doing it with my dad only made it better