Rental car sticker shock

I think the cheapest i saw on expedia for a 4 day rental in june in denver was $615 total. I have a corporate discount and some free days so was able to do much cheaper but for the average person who just logs on to expedia, prices are steep.

AKBorn

WKR
I reserved a U-Haul truck - seemed cheaper than a traditional rental but they charge by the mile which may add up, and lack of 4x4 is also concerning but it is what it is
If by chance you need it for a week or longer, you can reserve at the weekly rate and the mileage is free (at least in the locations that I have rented U-Hauls).

Rich M

WKR
In 2019 we rented a truck to drive to CO and back.

The prices fluctuated daily. First it was $500, then it was $1,000, one was $1,200, then was $500 again - stopped shopping, booked immediately thru Budget. 2020 Toyota TRD Tacoma 4x4 with 87 miles on it. Nice lil truck.

Will start shopping for this fall if we get drawn.

Lady i work with rented a small car while hers was in shop. Like $30 for 3 days. She tried to extend it and they wanted $200/day. She lost her window due to the various vacation cycles down here.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Between the rental car companies selling off a lot of their fleet last year due to the pandemic and then the new car shortage, rental car companies are raising prices because of demand in 2021. I joked with a friend that went to Orlando for a wedding that he should have just rented a U-Haul pickup truck for the 3 days he was there as it might have been cheaper than a regular rental.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Add in the chip shortage for the big three auto makers as well. Whatever chips they are getting are going to go cars for their dealers, rental companies are at the bottom of the list.

creekchub

FNG
Thanks for the suggestion. I reserved a 9' cargo van which takes care of the rental car and sleeping accommodations for a 10 day Texas deer hunt for less than half the cost of renting a mini van.
I went with cargo van as well. we will see how it goes

My car got broken into two weekends ago at a trailhead while I was out bear hunting. I’ve been driving a rental truck for the past two weeks at $45/day. We went to Maui in March and got a rental for a week for $400
$1000 for 8 days in August right now in Maui is what our reservations is for

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ya is crazy. Bu't going to go down anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
was just talking about this. I have 2 friends that work in management for 2 different popular resorts on the island. One said they are sold out for summer already despite covid and the other said they are charging triple the rates this summer what they charged in the summer of 2019 even before covid. unprecedented demand right now. Also make any dinner reservations as soon as you can. Limited capacity in restaurants has created a tourist hunger games

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
That’s _really_ nuts to me. I’ve been saying since before the trip that if my wife hadn’t taken care of all the paperwork for us that I would never have planned a trip to Hawaii with all the hoops they make you jump through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
Just tried renting car bozeman for 517 For a week. 2 to 300 a day. New car shortage is already affecting rental fleets. Book your car truck asap.
Honestly not surprised. Montana was busy last year with all the major cities having people visiting. This year is supposed to be a lot worse. Do you have to fly into bozeman? Billings and Missoula are not super far? Also, precovid several years ago I visited friends in Homer, Alaska that let us use their car while we were in town. When we had to get a rental from Anchorage to visit Denali it was$110 a day for the cheapest we could get and that was reserved well in advance.

Vandy321

WKR
Another bump for the Turo car sharing app. A VRBO for cars/trucks. Vehicles comes super clean/sanitized and full on gas. You can book well in advance or last minute (openings visible on the calendar) and not risk the rental agency saying "we're sorry, we ran out of cars today" when you get to your destination.

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I even tried two weeks ahead of needing one and it still wasn’t fast enough to book a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Amen... if you guys aren't using Turo... you're messing up! You can get a way nicer car for less money, not to mention no waiting in rental car lines. All the owners/hosts I've dealt with have been excellent to deal with.

My last 3 turo rentals
2019 Ram Rebel Truck - $29 a day
2019 VW Atlas SUV - $32 a day
2018 Mercedes G-Wagon - $54 a day
I read an article the other day about Turo. Customer totaled a Tesla and refused to pay, told the car owner to turn it in on their insurance. Not sure if they had a commercial policy so it looked like it could be a mess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk