Rental car sticker shock

Hmmm. Haven’t traveled a ton since Covid. Would have thought rentals would be cheap due to lack of demand.

ShakeDown

WKR
I just rented a mid size for a few days while my truck was getting some suspension work done. $34 a day.

def90

WKR
I just paid $221 for driving a small SUV around for 5 days.

Rentals are tough though in some higher demand places. The rental companies sold off all of their higher level easy to sell cars when the pandemic hit and no one was traveling so getting the higher grade cars is impossible in some places. Sports cars and large SUVs have been hit the hardest along with many of their hybrids.

mlgc20

WKR
I looked at a 1 week rental in SLC for early July. Even a compact car is $1,000. Normally I can do that rental with an SUV for <$500.

creekchub

FNG
I reserved a U-Haul truck - seemed cheaper than a traditional rental but they charge by the mile which may add up, and lack of 4x4 is also concerning but it is what it is

Some kid pulled out in front of me and now my truck is in the shop for over 15k in repairs(less damage than you'd think, these newer truck parts are spendy). Enterprise and hertz both said they dont have any trucks to rent for over 2 weeks lol. My truck should be done by then

bz_711

WKR
It's legit...we've rescheduled a family Disney trip to Orlando multiple times due to COVID...rental car rates have more than doubled from last summer to this summer....
...and gas up 50%
...lumber up 300%
...:(

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
My car got broken into two weekends ago at a trailhead while I was out bear hunting. I’ve been driving a rental truck for the past two weeks at $45/day. We went to Maui in March and got a rental for a week for $400

mproberts

WKR
Check out the website ‘Turo’. Basically VRBO but for cars.
Amen... if you guys aren't using Turo... you're messing up! You can get a way nicer car for less money, not to mention no waiting in rental car lines. All the owners/hosts I've dealt with have been excellent to deal with.

My last 3 turo rentals
2019 Ram Rebel Truck - $29 a day
2019 VW Atlas SUV - $32 a day
2018 Mercedes G-Wagon - $54 a day

Broomd

WKR
We booked a trip to maui in August... costs are highfpr sure

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Maui is brutal for everything and has been for at least the last 15 years. My wife and I went in '05 and after paying out the arse for every single thing we said 'no mas' to the Hawaiian islands for good.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I found a site called autoslash.com

Was looking at well over $500 for a 5 day trip. This website found a car for $350 for the same time frame.

YRMV...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Asked a friend about this that knows rental car companies (finance guy). He says there are a few factors at play but biggest thing is a car shortage. He says business and leisure travel was dead most of 2020 so rentals were down. Meanwhile factory shut downs and parts shortages etc. have driven new and used car demand and prices. New cars are going for sticker or above aNd Wholesale prices (car auctions) for used cars are up 30% This year. So rental companies have been selling into the used car market to get rid of unused rental cars. Now that travel is opening up, there is a supply constraint so rental prices are up.

wonderful.