Rental car sticker shock

Wife and I ran into the same problem when we flew to Phoenix. Line was 200+ people long, and we all had reservations. The next place with the shortest line wanted almost $900 for four days.

Cancelled the reservation, UBERed to the resort, rented a U-Haul pickup from the ACE Hardware a half mile down the road.

2021 Chevy Silverado with 1,400 miles on it.

Grand total for 4 days was $286.

mproberts

WKR
I read an article the other day about Turo. Customer totaled a Tesla and refused to pay, told the car owner to turn it in on their insurance. Not sure if they had a commercial policy so it looked like it could be a mess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm not an insurance expert by any means but it seems like if you are renting your vehicle out through Turo you likely should confirm with your insurance company if you are covered or not. If not you can mandate the renter has coverage. Turo offers a third party one time coverage/protection plan through I believe liberty mutual, it was like a couple bucks a day to the renter. I have never picked up that coverage option because through conversations with my insurance provider, they would cover me if anything happened.

4rcgoat

WKR
My car got broken into two weekends ago at a trailhead while I was out bear hunting. I’ve been driving a rental truck for the past two weeks at $45/day. We went to Maui in March and got a rental for a week for $400
Just wondering what kind of spineless, gutless little weasel would break into someone's car at a trailhead.......

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering what kind of spineless, gutless little weasel would break into someone's car at a trailhead.......

The policeman seemed to think it had something to do with the reservation down the road

Bozeman is ground zero for tourists for Yellowstone National Park And Big Sky Resort. You will not get a deal at BZN any time of the year. Harsh reality of supply and demand, and it’s always demand...

Rob5589

WKR
Crazy stuff. As far as Turo, a coworker and his wife are headed to Maui in a few weeks. He looked into Turo and those folks have caught on as the prices were nearly as much as the rental company. They got lucky and found a rental car for around 800 for the week.

This is probably unrelated but I thought I would post as a psa.

My buddy is a detective and he said that gangs work places like trail heads and health club parking lots. Those are the two he mentioned. They are called "felony lane gangs" because of their methods of cashing in. What they are about is stealing identities and checks. They will take a woman's purse and then use their ID to cash forged checks, previously stolen, to themselves using the new ID. They cash checks they have stolen in the past, typically months before. By waiting some time, red flags on the account from the check theft are dropped. Then months after the theft, they start cashing checks from the new woman's purse. They travel around to wealthy locales, one after another, running this scheme. They use the last lane at the drive-through so that they are harder to see against the ID presented. He said they are usually identified easily because it will be two or three black guys with one white woman. When stopped, they will have multiple wigs that they use to make up the woman to look like the ID. His advice was to never leave your ID and checks together in your car. Women leave ID's and check books in their purses while working out or hiking so they are typically the targets. It seemed like a stretch to me but he said there are many of these groups and that they are affiliated with larger gangs, some know each other and some are from competing gangs. He said they make tens of thousands per week. Apparently it is difficult to get the word out because when they are caught the locals assume the threat has passed but each group is just one of many.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably unrelated but I thought I would post as a psa.

My buddy is a detective and he said that gangs work places like trail heads and health club parking lots. Those are the two he mentioned. They are called "felony lane gangs" because of their methods of cashing in. What they are about is stealing identities and checks. They will take a woman's purse and then use their ID to cash forged checks, previously stolen, to themselves using the new ID. They cash checks they have stolen in the past, typically months before. By waiting some time, red flags on the account from the check theft are dropped. Then months after the theft, they start cashing checks from the new woman's purse. They travel around to wealthy locales, one after another, running this scheme. They use the last lane at the drive-through so that they are harder to see against the ID presented. He said they are usually identified easily because it will be two or three black guys with one white woman. When stopped, they will have multiple wigs that they use to make up the woman to look like the ID. His advice was to never leave your ID and checks together in your car. Women leave ID's and check books in their purses while working out or hiking so they are typically the targets. It seemed like a stretch to me but he said there are many of these groups and that they are affiliated with larger gangs, some know each other and some are from competing gangs. He said they make tens of thousands per week. Apparently it is difficult to get the word out because when they are caught the locals assume the threat has passed but each group is just one of many.

People use checkbooks outside of their house this day and age?

Enterprise at the Seattle-Tacoma airport has 70% of a giant airport parking lot stacked full of rentals. Wonder if its a problem with more demand in certain areas than others. Definitely need to check out that Turo thing...

kevf

FNG
I'm not an insurance expert by any means but it seems like if you are renting your vehicle out through Turo you likely should confirm with your insurance company if you are covered or not. If not you can mandate the renter has coverage. Turo offers a third party one time coverage/protection plan through I believe liberty mutual, it was like a couple bucks a day to the renter. I have never picked up that coverage option because through conversations with my insurance provider, they would cover me if anything happened.
Does anyone have already used Turo with the credit card insurance for car rental?

Turo is a peer-to-peer type of rental agency that may be excluded from the insurance provided by Mastercard or similar. Will call mine soon to check because I am planning to use Turo to go hunting Colorado this fall.

bumping this.. I have a couple superintendents on my project right now that are MT based and fly into bozeman when going home for their long weekend rotations home. You can barely find a vehicle for $2k right now for a 4 day weekend in bozeman. It's unbelievable. If anyone has any hot tips that I could use to hook them up i'd appreciate it.

fatlander

WKR
bumping this.. I have a couple superintendents on my project right now that are MT based and fly into bozeman when going home for their long weekend rotations home. You can barely find a vehicle for $2k right now for a 4 day weekend in bozeman. It's unbelievable. If anyone has any hot tips that I could use to hook them up i'd appreciate it.

Fly into Billings and rent from the non airport location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly into Billings and rent from the non airport location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like $850+ to do that unless you go $600 to use "rent a wreck".

The way things are going we should buy a 15 year old toyota to leave parked by the airport and sell it for a profit when rental prices come back to earth..

Looking into just using uhaul now.

fatlander

WKR
Looks like $850+ to do that unless you go $600 to use "rent a wreck".

The way things are going we should buy a 15 year old toyota to leave parked by the airport and sell it for a profit when rental prices come back to earth..

Looking into just using uhaul now.

Still, that’s 1200 bucks cheaper than Brozeman for 4 total hours of inconvenience. Not sure what the guys make that work for you, but if it’s more than 300 bucks an hour I’d love to get into your line of work.

On the Turo topic, I just sold my commuter car last night (4 door, AWD sedan). I had 5 different people contact me in the first two days to purchase the car for Turo. It has an airbag recall that has a part that's 2 months out so they all passed (Turo runs VINs and all recalls need to be resolved prior to renting). After that much interest I looked into it, but figured once I got the part the summer would practically be over so I sold it last night. I just thought it was crazy how there were that many people buying cars just to rent them out.