Rental for getting home after hunt.

Jacack

WKR
Wondering if anyone has used a mini van to get home after a hunt?

I am planning to fly to az for September elk hunt this year. I normally would just drive but pulled other tags this year so don't have unlimited time.

Thinking about a rental mini van. Wondering if anyone has used one recently? Main issue is do the seats all lay flat? Will have my gear coolers for meat and a skull and rack hopefully. Also have the opportunity to pick up my antelope mount from the taxidermist in AZ on The same trip.

Figured a mini van would have more room than something like a suburban as all those have too many seats to deal with.

Looked at uhaul but twice the cost and they are no fun for that long of a trip solo
Driving from AZ to South Florida

May just have to drive out but that's adds 3 days to my trip

Looking for suggestions
Thanks

BBob

WKR
Can’t say if other manufacturers do but a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Pacifica with stow and go seating will all lay flat. Caravan isn’t made anymore and the Pacifica took over as the mini van. I’ve used a Caravan a lot and it works great. I’ve known people that have flown into a destination and rented these and used them as a camper van. Specifically because the seats fold and you can sleep flat on the floor and still have room for gear.

def90

WKR
Every make and model of car will be different as to whether the seats fold flat or not.. In the end it won't matter because you rarely ever actually get the exact make and mode of car that you rented.

Ship your gear back home via UPS, debone your meat and pack it in to those Yeti soft sided totes, check them as luggage and fly home.

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
Can’t say if other manufacturers do but a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Pacifica with stow and go seating will all lay flat. Caravan isn’t made anymore and the Pacifica took over as the mini van. I’ve used a Caravan a lot and it works great. I’ve known people that have flown into a destination and rented these and used them as a camper van. Specifically because the seats fold and you can sleep flat on the floor and still have room for gear.
Thats What I was looking at the Chrysler.
Saw The stow and go thing but wasn't sure if that was a option that a rental might have or if it was on every Pacifica

Mcnasty

FNG
One thing to look into is most car rental companies (unlike uhaul) charge extra for a one way if you don't drop it where you picked it up. would want to factor that into your cost.

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
One thing to look into is most car rental companies (unlike uhaul) charge extra for a one way if you don't drop it where you picked it up. would want to factor that into your cost.

Uhaul is almost double the cost from what I see pricing it outline

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
Ever reserve a rental car? No guarantees on them having a specific vehicle when you get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's my worry. Only good thing is there aren't a ton of mini vans available from rentals like mid size sedans.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Ever reserve a rental car? No guarantees on them having a specific vehicle when you get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.
You never get what you reserve.
Other than that, sounds like a great plan.

WoodBow

WKR
I've only rented a vehicle to get home once. Most places want to really stick it to you to rent one place and drop of at another. Far and beyond the cheapest prices we found were through kayak.com Most places wanted to charge us like $400 for what was only a one day rental. We ended up paying right at $100 with all the non sense taxes and fees.