Rental for sept hunt

weaver

WKR
With 3 guys pulling shifts driving, I wouldn’t even consider flying considering the added logistics with rental, meat etc.
I have used turbo before and there some things to be aware of.
1 You are not to take the vehicle off pavement.

2 They can cancel at any time. If you show up and they decide they would rather not rent to a group of hunters you’re sol.

3 You’re using someone’s personal vehicle and they are much more likely to notice and small scratches, damages etc.

I was upfront with my intentions with the host about taking the vehicle hunting on dirt roads and still ended up paying him an extra $500 after inadvertently scraping a running board on a rock.

OP
Mdfowlman2
With 3 guys pulling shifts driving, I wouldn’t even consider flying considering the added logistics with rental, meat etc.
I have used turbo before and there some things to be aware of.
1 You are not to take the vehicle off pavement.

2 They can cancel at any time. If you show up and they decide they would rather not rent to a group of hunters you’re sol.

3 You’re using someone’s personal vehicle and they are much more likely to notice and small scratches, damages etc.

I was upfront with my intentions with the host about taking the vehicle hunting on dirt roads and still ended up paying him an extra $500 after inadvertently scraping a running board on a rock.
the decision to fly has nothing to do with the drive itself, I actually enjoy the drive even when it was two of us. However it was a no brainer decision to fly when the cost to drive is nearly more and I get two extra hunting days. Also not to worried about getting meat back, you can fly coolers back for $75 each up to 100lbs. I appreciate your input on the "off road" concerns and the not renting to hunters, Ill be picking up at the airport via lockbox so im not overly concerned about them knowing I hunt. Dont plan to be "off road" besides the normal Montana gravel road

Randle

WKR
I had a friend come up and hunt elk with us a few years ago. He shipped his bow 1 week to make sure it didnt get lost in the flight. Maybe a member here you could ship to.
Just a logistically not about the rental thing, sounds like you have that worked out

OP
Mdfowlman2
I had a friend come up and hunt elk with us a few years ago. He shipped his bow 1 week to make sure it didnt get lost in the flight. Maybe a member here you could ship to.
Just a logistically not about the rental thing, sounds like you have that worked out
I’ve considered looking into shipping out some gear, 50/50 on shipping the bows.
I just looked at Turo prices. That's a hard no

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
care to share where your finding rentals cheaper? I can’t find them even close to the price of Turo.
$105 a day for fulll size 4dr pickups

Afhunter1

WKR
the decision to fly has nothing to do with the drive itself, I actually enjoy the drive even when it was two of us. However it was a no brainer decision to fly when the cost to drive is nearly more and I get two extra hunting days. Also not to worried about getting meat back, you can fly coolers back for $75 each up to 100lbs. I appreciate your input on the "off road" concerns and the not renting to hunters, Ill be picking up at the airport via lockbox so im not overly concerned about them knowing I hunt. Dont plan to be "off road" besides the normal Montana gravel road
Which airline is 75 a cooler up to 100#?

OP
Mdfowlman2
Which airline is 75 a cooler up to 100#?
Southwest, oversized bag fee is $75. Up to 80” combined L+W+H and under 100lbs.
For $150 I can fly back two 120qt igloo coolers up to a total of 200lbs.

Cfriend

FNG
When you get out there you could go to Walmart or something and buy a cheap rooftop luggage bag. Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CargoSma...ided-Car-Top-Carrier-Bag-Black-6621/555470525

That should keep your gear dry in the bed while you are riding in the cab (you could take some garbage bags too just to make sure clothing doesn't get wet). Then when you park, you could put everything in the cab to keep it from getting stolen.

Also, if it ends up staying dry the whole time and you don't use the bag, you could just return it before you go home.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think I have a bigger issue with you not disclosing to them that you plan on hunting out of their vehicle. With a rental car chain I can see that, but someone leasing you their private vehicle is a different story.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I think I have a bigger issue with you not disclosing to them that you plan on hunting out of their vehicle. With a rental car chain I can see that, but someone leasing you their private vehicle is a different story.

What does that matter? There are rules and nowhere does it state you can’t use the vehicle to drive you to and from a hunting location.
The vehicle is a vessel used for transportation, unless the vehicle is used in a criminal act I’m not sure what business of theirs it is unless it’s against the rules set forth by the owner. I’m not sure why YOU have an issue with it, is it your vehicle?
Most of these people leading vehicles on turo own and rent many vehicles and run it like a business, it’s not their daily driver.

Afhunter1

WKR
Southwest, oversized bag fee is $75. Up to 80” combined L+W+H and under 100lbs.
For $150 I can fly back two 120qt igloo coolers up to a total of 200lbs.

I think you will find that your checked bags will be more like this if successful but I may be wrong.

1st bag——bow case——————-free
2nd bag—-pack—————————free
3rd bag—-cooler and 75# meat ——150
4th bag—-cooler and 75# meat ——150
5th bag—-cooler and 75# meat——-150
6th bag —-skull and horns————-150

I think bag fee and over size + overweight gets added together. I have killed and flown meat and I have drove meat.

Total 600.00 ish and $100 in coolers

This was pretty close what I have paid.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I think you will find that your checked bags will be more like this if successful but I may be wrong.

1st bag——bow case——————-free
2nd bag—-pack—————————free
3rd bag—-cooler and 75# meat ——150
4th bag—-cooler and 75# meat ——150
5th bag—-cooler and 75# meat——-150
6th bag —-skull and horns————-150

I think bag fee and over size + overweight gets added together. I have killed and flown meat and I have drove meat.

Total 600.00 ish and $100 in coolers

This was pretty close what I have paid.
Once you go over 50lbs or over 62” you pay an oversize bag fee. Is not $75 for being overweight and an additional $75 for being lover 62”, they are $75 extra per bag/cooler after your two free. I called and verified this with southwest.
If we kill more than one elk we will likely be sending a pallet via freight shipping back home with most gear. This allows flying meat home at the most affordable rate possible, I have a friend that handles freight shipping and I’ll have the leg work done on that in advance just in case.
Either way I look at it 200lbs 165lbs after factoring in cooler weight will Cost $300 to get home.

Attachments

• B67E59BB-F9FF-4527-A399-5BFF32CC6EFE.jpeg
    B67E59BB-F9FF-4527-A399-5BFF32CC6EFE.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Afhunter1

WKR
Once you go over 50lbs or over 62” you pay an oversize bag fee. Is not $75 for being overweight and an additional $75 for being lover 62”, they are $75 extra per bag/cooler after your two free. I called and verified this with southwest.
If we kill more than one elk we will be sending a pallet via freight shipping back home with most gear. This allows flying meat home at the most affordable rate possible.
Either way I look at it 200lbs 165lbs after factoring in cooler worth will
Cost $300 to get home.
There is a 75 dollar charge for your 3rd bag and another 75 for overweight and or oversize. Those two get added together and that’s how you get 150. I’ve had over 200# of boned out meat off of two bulls and you can’t get 100# of meat in a 20# cooler. I am just telling you my story because I think when you get there this is what you will actually see. Like I said I’ve been there and done it. I’d still pay it if I had to but now I drive and just take more time off work. Killing a elk makes it all worth it no matter what it costs to get it back.

OP
Mdfowlman2
There is a 75 dollar charge for your 3rd bag and another 75 for overweight and or oversize. Those two get added together and that’s how you get 150. I’ve had over 200# of boned out meat off of two bulls and you can’t get 100# of meat in a 20# cooler. I am just telling you my story because I think when you get there this is what you will actually see. Like I said I’ve been there and done it. I’d still pay it if I had to but now I drive and just take more time off work. Killing a elk makes it all worth it no matter what it costs to get it back.
Yes I know, maybe I didn’t explain that correct but the overweight fee is $75 for the first two bags(your free bags) bag 3 thru 20 is $75 extra plus $75 for overweight.
I disagree that you can get 100lbs of meat in a 20lb cooler, the actual eight of the empty cooler doesn’t have any bearing on the carrying capacity . 120qt cooler held nearly an entire bone in elk last year. The remainder of that bull
And my entire bull fit bone in in my 145qt cooler.
Yes I agree killing an elk makes it all worth it either way.
I’d drive and forfeit the two days but this is my dads first elk hunt and it’s been a lifeline dream of his. Every extra day there with him is priceless to me.
Bone in elk in the cooler in the pic, only thing that didn’t fit was one back strap.

Attachments

• 0C17ED8D-A08A-442E-9448-22B0081246D5.jpeg
    0C17ED8D-A08A-442E-9448-22B0081246D5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

Afhunter1

WKR
I didn’t elaborate very well but what I meant to say is if you have a 20# cooler. Than you can only put 80# of meat in it to hit the 100# cap. So maybe you can put 300# of meat in the cooler but southwest is gonna say take it out until you hit 100# combined.

And I’ve avg 225# of meat boned out, cut, packed, and froze off avg size bulls.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I didn’t elaborate very well but what I meant to say is if you have a 20# cooler. Than you can only put 80# of meat in it to hit the 100# cap. So maybe you can put 300# of meat in the cooler but southwest is gonna say take it out until you hit 100# combined.

And I’ve avg 225# of meat boned out, cut, packed, and froze off avg size bulls.
Ahh!! Makes more sense.we are saying the same things just different ways.
I figure 3 coolers to a large bull. Maybe stretch two for smaller bull even if have to leave some
Meat back there with a local Buddy.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Before a topper i put stuff in the cab or under the truck.. or hid in surrounding area with a note in case a hunter stumbled across it. Hadn't had any issues. Just a thought.

Try the local Toyota dealers. I work at the one in Idaho falls, Idaho and we have quite a few 4runners and a couple Tacomas with toppers. We’re ok with renting to hunters, just can’t do any damage to the vehicle just like any other rental vehicle. And I think we’re only $85ish a day.

If you just want to prevent a quick grab theft .
Take a krypton cable and the long padlocks and just cable all that together and thru the bed tie down.
If there willing to get thru that there willing to cut a tonneau and bust window