Rental question for Moose Hunts AK

GoBig

FNG
Hello,
Have a couple of questions about Alaska Moose hunting. I have read lots of threads on here and there has been a ton of great information. A buddy and I are looking at the upcoming draw deadline and discussing a couple of different units. We don't have any points so they are longshots at best. Several of the units are around Fairbanks and Anchorage and would be drive to the unit, no fly in or boat. The odds are long we draw but the success rates are pretty high. The question I have is rentals. I know we should be able to secure a Truck from a rental agency, we have our own gear. The question is can you rent ATVs, or Argos for a trip like this? Did a little google search and didn't really find anything that popped up for hunting rentals.

I have been to Alaska many times for work and spent weeks in the bush, understand the terrain, walking, brush, insects etc. I know how hard it can be to get around let alone packing a moose out. Are these hunt types doable as a non res? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. We are doing some research on fly in hunts but understand that its probably a little late in the game for a 21 hunt. Thanks in Advance.

google alaska toy rentals, they are based in palmer (40 minutes north of anchorage) and it looks like they even rent trailers and what not as well. If your hunting out of fairbanks a quick google search shows there are a few places around there as well, check out "the alaskan experience . com" they are based out of north pole which is like 20 east of fairbanks

Last edited:
There are no points for Alaska draws, you have the same chance as everyone else that applies.

Should you draw, I am sure you could contact any of the many tourist companies that offer ATV rides, etc. and work something out with them to rent an ATV.

OP
GoBig

GoBig

FNG
Good info. I will do some more research. My buddy is more in tune with the draw percentages and what not. I just don't want to draw something and not be able to access it because we don't have the stuff we need.

I would do some serious research that this is your most economical route. I’ve rented ATVs out of the valley for work. I think is was $600 a day for 2 with a trailer. Plus insurance and your rental vehicle. Might be the same price or just a little more to do a fly out.

I would do some serious research that this is your most economical route. I’ve rented ATVs out of the valley for work. I think is was $600 a day for 2 with a trailer. Plus insurance and your rental vehicle. Might be the same price or just a little more to do a fly out.
I too just checked, out of curiosity. It's way more than I'd pay!

No need to draw a moose tag to come up and hunt and aside from a few draws, a moose draw tag doesn't really up your odds a whole lot anyhow.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello,
Have a couple of questions about Alaska Moose hunting. I have read lots of threads on here and there has been a ton of great information. A buddy and I are looking at the upcoming draw deadline and discussing a couple of different units. We don't have any points so they are longshots at best. Several of the units are around Fairbanks and Anchorage and would be drive to the unit, no fly in or boat. The odds are long we draw but the success rates are pretty high. The question I have is rentals. I know we should be able to secure a Truck from a rental agency, we have our own gear. The question is can you rent ATVs, or Argos for a trip like this? Did a little google search and didn't really find anything that popped up for hunting rentals.

I have been to Alaska many times for work and spent weeks in the bush, understand the terrain, walking, brush, insects etc. I know how hard it can be to get around let alone packing a moose out. Are these hunt types doable as a non res? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. We are doing some research on fly in hunts but understand that its probably a little late in the game for a 21 hunt. Thanks in Advance.

Disclaimer: I seek the solitude of a wilderness adventure experience when I hunt, so I have always wanted to be as far away from people as I can be. About ten years ago I reached the point that I gladly spend a lot of hard earned money every year for different fly-in's for pack-raft floats and drop hunts to remote areas where I never see another person...it is worth every penny to me. I'm already booked for two trips next year.

That said, I'm sure you already know that the GMU's you are considering are heavily hunted every fall...and have been for many decades. Thousands of Alaskans own ATV's, side-by-sides, and Argo's. Many, most (all) areas with accessible ATV trails are crowded to varying degrees (some insanely so), which may be just fine for what you seek...no judgements on my end on that.

I used to do the ATV route, going back over thirty-miles to hunt, and then over time even further by ditching the ATV's after reaching a point far enough back to then back-pack into "inaccessible" drainages...but over-time those drainages became accessible and crowded as off-road vehicle capability continually evolved. Don't get me wrong, I met some really good and helpful people when hunting, but I also met and witnessed some very poorly behaved people when hunting...such is life in general. However, it is not what I seek when hunting.

There are designated "non-motorized access" areas that you can drive to, park your truck, and then start walking. Research those for sure, if you guys are willing to put in the walking miles. I'm sure you know that humping moose on your back is a memorable experience never forgotten...and getting it ALL back to your truck is a must on every level of doing right, including the law. Wanton waste in Alaska is a felony. Keep in mind that some areas require keeping meat on the bone when packing out...a few include rib-meat in that designation. Moose meat is my favorite up here.

Others will have different perspectives than mine, which is fine. Whatever hunting experience you seek, I truly hope you find it up here! Hunting Alaska is a truly ineffable experience.

Edit: It is also important to research the numerous Ahtna land holdings (private property) in the areas you have in mind for ATV hunting.

Last edited:
OP
GoBig

GoBig

FNG
Thanks all for the information. My concerns are also just being surrounded by people and not being able to get away from folks even with an ATV. I would prefer a float or fly trip, unfortunately we are looking into options way last minute for my tastes but I said I would ask some questions. I too prefer the solitude and wilderness of the hunt. The places I prefer to hunt are as far away as I can get, if I run into people there then we are usually on the same page about what we are looking for and why we are there.

I do understand the law about packing bone out in some or most units and understand the work involved in that endeavor. I was in the Palmer area in late August, early September in 2019 and saw lots of moose going down the highway on ATVs and Air boats, took a drive over Hatcher Pass and saw folks driving around hunting I would guess.

All my animals that I harvest come out on my back in pieces over many miles and rough terrain. I don't really want to pack a moose to far from a road, airstrip, lake, or river!

Tons of variables that go into all of this, but If you have half of an idea of where you want to fly into I'd honestly start googling flight services and making phone calls. I'm not advocating last minute planning, but I wouldn't be afraid to make some calls. We were planning a last minute trip in '18 and had a reputable flight service that was able to accommodate us a few months in advance. My hunting partner blew his knee out and we weren't able to go, but everything was in place and we hadn't started making phone calls until March.

Lots of good advice above. Not only does a large number of folks up here have ATV’s, many have made mods to enable access much deeper into the bush than a standard ATV can get. ATV’ing in AK is unlike anything you will experience down south. I have an ATV but I don’t use it to hunt with, too many people up here have them to get away from them all. Best bet is a fly out float hunt. At the end of the day you’ll have a much more pleasant experience and it won’t cost much if any more.

OP
GoBig

GoBig

FNG
I agree on everything said here. I have spent some time on an ATV in Ak on firelines and across terrain. I know how muddy things get, can be fun for a little bit and a serious challenge at times. We are looking into setting up a fly in trip probably for 22 at this point. will start making some calls soon. Thanks for all the advice and inputs.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I too just checked, out of curiosity. It's way more than I'd pay!

No need to draw a moose tag to come up and hunt and aside from a few draws, a moose draw tag doesn't really up your odds a whole lot anyhow.
I’d love to hear why you don’t think a tag helps your chances? I’ve wondered how much of a difference a tag actually makes if you can get a pilot to drop you off away from people. I assume the biggest difference would just be less hunting pressure therefore more and bigger animals but I live your insight!

mooster

WKR
I’d love to hear why you don’t think a tag helps your chances? I’ve wondered how much of a difference a tag actually makes if you can get a pilot to drop you off away from people. I assume the biggest difference would just be less hunting pressure therefore more and bigger animals but I live your insight!
There’s plenty of OTC tags that would allow you to still go as remote as you want without having to draw.