Rental truck?

Rooftop

FNG
We were a little late to the party for booking a good fly in trip so we decided to try the haul road trip to get our feet wet in Alaska. Anyone recommend a place out of Fairbanks to rent a truck from?

Seen a lot of uhaul trucks up there last season. I also a few crazy people in rental RV’s! 🤪 I remember seeing a thread on this somewhere. I’ll look.

OP
R

Rooftop

FNG
I have seen places that rent trucks with slide in campers. Is that a good or bad idea?

I have seen places that rent trucks with slide in campers. Is that a good or bad idea?

I would rent a truck and bring I shelter with you. If rifle hunting your going to need to hike off the road. If bow hunting your going to need to be mobile and spot them and hope they are coming at you. Good luck running them down.

I have never rented a truck for the haul road. But have been on it twice. It can be rough if not maintained. Antiguan pass can be fun with snow or when really muddy.

Have fun and enjoy the adventure.

He is a rental post from a couple years back. Good info for you.

The pass would be the only issue if it’s hit with snow or heavy rain. Atigun can be nice on one side snow on top and a muddy mess on the other side. If I was in a two wheel drive grab a set of chains

None of the car rental companies will allow you to drive the Haul Road for the obvious reasons..I have sent guys up to the pass to catch a "Bush Flight" and they rented a u-Haul truck but the milage we a pricy effort. Under stand that the 5 mile hike into legal hunting is a deal breaker for most. The idea that your going to make that 5 Maile hike 4x times is just silly. Bow hunters have a much better chance

The flight service I use in Kotz has 2-3 open dates if you want to do a unit 23 hunt. Send me a message if you need some assistance and the flight costs are in $3,100 range.

Walt

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning my first trip up the Haul Road this year and have found 4 rental companies located in Fairbanks that explicitly allow their vehicles to be taken on the Haul Road:
Alaska 4x4 Rentals (full-size trucks & SUVs)
Alaska Auto Rentals (full-size truck & SUVs)
Arctic Outfitters (Ford Escapes only)
GoNorth (full-size trucks & SUVs)

I ended up reserving a crew cab pickup with camper shell through Alaska 4x4 Rentals because they were slightly cheaper than the other options and required less of a deposit.

I also called a few nationwide rental chains with offices in Fairbanks to ask if they allow their vehicles to be taken on the Haul Road (everything I've read has indicated that the default answer is no) but gave up after being redirected multiple times to booking agents that clearly had no idea what the Haul Road is.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I had good luck with Alaska Auto Rental. It’s expensive to rent a vehicle allowed to go on the haul road.

It’s ridiculous that every forum, every year there are people saying you can’t rent a vehicle and drive the Haul Road. As listed above, there are several places to rent from. Don’t waste your time calling the nationwide rental companies, I’ve rented from every one of them in the Fairbanks airport and they all make you sign on your life that you won’t drive the three no-no highways.

I’ve also used AK Auto to drive to Coldfoot and GoNorth to drive up to Circle both on work trips. No problems with either company Another potential option is Delta Leasing out of Prudhoe. I’ve been with contractors up there that use em - not sure if they only do business rentals. Might be worth the phone call.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
At Alaska Auto Rental they will give you an extra spare tire if you want one. It might be a good thing if you have the room.

Does anyone have any disaster stories from renting a U-haul? I have one rented for 2020 and am curious on what to watch out for.

mooster

WKR
I'm planning my first trip up the Haul Road this year and have found 4 rental companies located in Fairbanks that explicitly allow their vehicles to be taken on the Haul Road:
Alaska 4x4 Rentals (full-size trucks & SUVs)
Alaska Auto Rentals (full-size truck & SUVs)
Arctic Outfitters (Ford Escapes only)
GoNorth (full-size trucks & SUVs)

I ended up reserving a crew cab pickup with camper shell through Alaska 4x4 Rentals because they were slightly cheaper than the other options and required less of a deposit.

I also called a few nationwide rental chains with offices in Fairbanks to ask if they allow their vehicles to be taken on the Haul Road (everything I've read has indicated that the default answer is no) but gave up after being redirected multiple times to booking agents that clearly had no idea what the Haul Road is.
Thanks for taking the time to put together this complete info.

why would you tell them you're driving the Haul Rd.?

Ignoring the “no gravel road” clause is common enough that I know of at least one local truck rental place that installs LoJack on their vehicles. I heard a story last year of a guy who rang up some impressive daily fees going north of the Yukon in one of those rigs.