Renting an Arctic Oven and stove on Kodiak?

mcseal2

WKR
A group of 4 of us are finalizing plans for Kodiak next November. We are planning to be in the field the 6-12. I'd prefer a longer hunt, but getting four guys schedules to cooperate that was our best option.

I have been in contact with several air taxi's in the last few days and it sounds like Kodiak Kamps is not currently in business for renting gear. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other options to rent one or two Arctic Oven tents with vented propane heaters?

We have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent and a Seek Outside 8 man tipi between our group. I also have the largest size Mr Buddy heater. We can bring them if needed.

As I type this I'm looking out the window at 50mph straight line winds. I just chained my kid's tipped over playhouse to a tree in the yard to keep it from blowing into the fence across the road. I'm a little concerned with the tipi idea in this type of wind!

I've never been to Kodiak and don't know for sure where to expect to be dropped in November. I don't know how much wind protection I can hope to find to set camp up in. I camp on sandbars a lot in the summer catfishing the river, so I have a good assortment of long sturdy tent stakes that hold pretty well. I can rig up windbreaks or shelters from whatever is lying around as well as most. I built a lot of forts around the ranch as a kid and never quite grew out of doing that type of thing. I have nephews now who are always up for going to build things out of sticks, rocks, and tarps when I have time.

My preference as of now would be to rent at least one Arctic Oven with the vented heater to help keep decrease interior condensation from the heater. We will have plenty of weight allowance for propane as we will be going with two Beaver's for 4 of us. If we rent just one Arctic Oven we wil hang out in it, dry gear in it, and sleep two in it plus two in the Cabelas tent. With propane heat there is no worry about finding enough wood.

Anyone have any ideas or advice about our plan? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I always see a guy on FB Marketplace that rents em out of Eagle River. I don't see a phone number of e-mail listed, but his name Bill Miller. You should be able to find him. Includes a wood stove or nuway, ground cover, and floor. $250/week. Looks like he has several tents. You might be able to work out a deal with him to ship one down for you.

The beauty of the Arctic Oven is that they simply do not have ANY interior condensation. You could pile 10 dudes in there mouth breathing all night and there won't be a drop. But the vented stoves do add peace of mind. I bring propane as well, sometimes on Kodiak its a bigger problem finding dry wood than finding enough wood!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, I’ll check him out. I’d be fine with that cost split 4 ways to not have to bring our stuff if he will ship them for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The originator of Arctic Ovens (Alaska Tent and Tarp) recently moved, and is now accessed through Airframes Alaska: https://www.airframesalaska.com/

Probably worth a call to them to see if they or someone they know (customer) rents the Arctic Oven.

bushman

FNG
one thing we did was put big heavy rocks on top of our tent stakes. Also, when i took my tipi to kuiu island this spring i bought a bag of instant start charcoal and a regular bag of charcoal. is tarted a fire in my stove with a few instatart briquets and added the regular charcoal, we then added dead wood on top of the charcoal and that worked fine for us. I wish i would have done that on my kodiak trip. I was concerned about finding charcoal that time of year, but i saw it at big rays in kodiak and walmart.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
So I did some checking. The owner of Arctic Oven did some asking and was unable to find anyone who would rent them on Kodiak.

Bill Miller from Eagle River will rent them, but the renter must handle all the shipping. One of our group is a known shipper with Alaska Air and a manager for Fed Ex so I forwarded the response on and asked him to look into that option.

Just an FYI for anyone else interested in renting. I’ll post as I learn more.

Thanks for the replies and help.

One of our group is a known shipper with Alaska Air and a manager for Fed Ex so I forwarded the response on and asked him to look into that option.
FYI just in case it makes things easier for you, you don't have to be a known shipper if shipping within AK. So you can ship AK air cargo from Anchorage to Kodiak without the known shipper cert. Because so much of AK is dependent on air cargo, we were exempt when the TSA drafted that rule.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks. I did not know that. I figure I’ll let Dean take over on the tent rental/shipping for now, I’ll keep working on the other logistics. He is in that industry, knows way more than me on what options to look into.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
why not buy one split between everyone, then sell it after the hunt if you do not need it anymore. Might not take a huge hit and it would be like renting one.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Another option we are considering. If we didn’t already have the 6 man alaskan guide tent and the tipi I’d buy one to keep. For most of our hunts the tipi is about perfect though.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
This is the first time I have heard of artic oven tents. What is the advantage of using one of these over a traditional canvas wall tent with a stove?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Artic Oven is a 4 season double wall tent capable of using a stove. Canvas wall tent is single wall. AO still fits in a Super Cub with room for the rest of your gear.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll admit I have fought off buying an Arctic Oven because of the weight factor. However, I've spent scores of days in them on kodiak and they have proven to be a top contender in wind, sideways rain followed by snow and also sunshine. The inner liner is sort of like an absorbent pad and fire resistant material, and wind does not matter much in these shelters.

I planned the Keifer bros adventures in Alaska, starting with Dropped Project Alaska. They got hooked up with lighter Arctic Oven tents and loved them. They took two: one for people and one for camera gear and drying stuff.

There are "lighter" models these days that are still bomber, even with tough "elephant skin" ground tarps it's close to 55 lbs if memory serves. That said, it's worth it on Kodiak fo sho.

Same company that now makes my Backcountry LB Flex Sled

This is the first time I have heard of artic oven tents. What is the advantage of using one of these over a traditional canvas wall tent with a stove?
They have ZERO condensation. The inside liner isn’t really absorbent pad, it just somehow pushes all moisture through leaving the inside completely dry and even if you’re running propane you feel dry. You can dry everything out including clothes even with propane.

We spent 2 nights in my AO 10 w/ vestibule last week. It never got above 0 and got as low as -11. We had a propane heater on low and it probably averaged about 40-50 degrees in the tent. The inner liner was dry and the outside fly had about 1/16-1/8 inch ice on it when we broke it down. I’ll share a couple pics. You can see where the ice is compared to where it’s melted while cooking in the vestibule. Second picture is of the ice on the inside of the fly after we broke it down. When using it in the other 3 seasons, the inside liner is typically bone dry while the fly is soaking wet on the inside.

If I'm hunting moose or on Kodiak (basically when I'm in a Beaver), I won't leave home without my AO. I went back to the seek outside with stove this year for moose camp and it works just fine, but I sure missed my AO! Especially while it rained down condensation! We spend all fall living like barbarians, may as well have a nice camp when you can!
CA0F6CB8-F321-436A-ABC2-CF7A9A9F5077.jpegB232C5F3-AF92-4CE6-BB54-3B24EC208475.jpeg

Last edited:

AKRazn

FNG
A group of 4 of us are finalizing plans for Kodiak next November. We are planning to be in the field the 6-12. I'd prefer a longer hunt, but getting four guys schedules to cooperate that was our best option.

I have been in contact with several air taxi's in the last few days and it sounds like Kodiak Kamps is not currently in business for renting gear. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other options to rent one or two Arctic Oven tents with vented propane heaters?

We have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent and a Seek Outside 8 man tipi between our group. I also have the largest size Mr Buddy heater. We can bring them if needed.

As I type this I'm looking out the window at 50mph straight line winds. I just chained my kid's tipped over playhouse to a tree in the yard to keep it from blowing into the fence across the road. I'm a little concerned with the tipi idea in this type of wind!

I've never been to Kodiak and don't know for sure where to expect to be dropped in November. I don't know how much wind protection I can hope to find to set camp up in. I camp on sandbars a lot in the summer catfishing the river, so I have a good assortment of long sturdy tent stakes that hold pretty well. I can rig up windbreaks or shelters from whatever is lying around as well as most. I built a lot of forts around the ranch as a kid and never quite grew out of doing that type of thing. I have nephews now who are always up for going to build things out of sticks, rocks, and tarps when I have time.

My preference as of now would be to rent at least one Arctic Oven with the vented heater to help keep decrease interior condensation from the heater. We will have plenty of weight allowance for propane as we will be going with two Beaver's for 4 of us. If we rent just one Arctic Oven we wil hang out in it, dry gear in it, and sleep two in it plus two in the Cabelas tent. With propane heat there is no worry about finding enough wood.

Anyone have any ideas or advice about our plan? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Hey there! Kodiak Camps is under new ownership, they can be found at www.kodiakkamps.net