Repair kit for bowhunting

swat8888

WKR
So I'm getting pretty serious about taking my bow on my upcoming sheep hunt. The dilemma I'm in is that I've never bowhunted before so I don't know what tools, tips, tricks there are for hauling a bow around in the backcountry and keeping the weight to an absolute minimum.

So...if you were or have brought your bow with you on a DIY mountain hunt what did you bring besides your bow and arrows?

I was thinking of bringing a few critical allen keys, and my bowmaster (to be left @ airstrip). Should I bring some field tips in case my scope gets knocked off or something and I need to do a field zero?

For anyone who has bowhunted sheep in AK did you bring knee pads...I don't want the wait but will if you guys spent a considerable about of time crawling around on your knees.

2rocky

WKR
Serving thread
Folding Allen wrench set(one piece)
String wax
extra dropaway rest blade
String loop material
spare prestretched String and cables (with the bowmaster)
judo or field point.
extra 3 BH's
spare sight pin with fiber optic
Leatherman tool
DUCT TAPE

velvetfvr

WKR
I don't carry anything except my other bow (knock on wood!) and hope I don't need anything else.

swat8888,

I'm going to ask the question that hopefully everyone else has thought....is this your first time bowhunting ever or just in AK? I hope I'm wrong, but if you just bought a bow and had it zeroed in I would suggest that you are not quite ready to go hunting with it yet. Bowhunting is a much different animal than gun hunting, in terms of what is an ethical shot distance, how close you need to get to take a shot, where to place your shot, and how quickly the animal goes down after the shot due to broadheads killing an animal in a different way than bullets.

Larry

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
Nope, first time period. been sheep hunting so I know what to expect. I shoot a couple hundred times a week and know my limitations. I understand it is very different, and I've been more excited thinking about harvesting an animal with a bow than I ever was with rifle. Gotta start somewhere....I may hold off another season on sheep with my bow...rifle hunting just doesn't have the same appeal as it used too....especially the challenge sheep will be with a bow.

If you have never harvested something with a bow you might want to try it with something other than a sheep hunt, especially if a sheep hunt is an infrequent or expensive thing for you. Aron Snyder can probably give you some good insights into bowhunting for sheep compared to gun hunting for them.

BuckSnort

WKR
If you have never harvested something with a bow you might want to try it with something other than a sheep hunt, especially if a sheep hunt is an infrequent or expensive thing for you. Aron Snyder can probably give you some good insights into bowhunting for sheep compared to gun hunting for them.

I'm scratching my head here wondering why he shouldn't go after sheep with a bow? A lot of people kill game with a bow that they have not killed or never even hunted with a rifle... Sheep are not dangerous game and die just as easy as other animals that have a arrow go through the vitals... He said gun hunting just doesnt do it for him anymore..I say go for it.. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth..

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
It ain't cheap, but I'm an AK resident so im not dropping $15k either. going with two other guys whose rifle I can use should the bow turn out to be too difficult a task...my freezer is low on sheep meat, don't want to leave empty handed. If elk or deer seasons were earlier I wouldn't be on my first bow hunt for sheep...timing just worked out that way. That being said I'll gladly take any advice on Bow hunting sheep in the mountains.

The best way to kill a sheep with your bow is to leave the rifle at home.

You said "I've never bowhunted before" Well, there is no time like the present to get out there and do it! Best of luck... It's the best!

As far as your question, the only things I would bring is a judo point, 2-3 allen wrenches (the ones that you need) and possibly an extra set of strings if you know how to put them on without using a press.

BuckSnort,

As Swat noted, my concern was that he might be making a first time bowhunt out of a once in a lifetime or expensive ($15K) hunt. But he isn't so going with a bow will definitely make it a great and exciting hunt. I didn't want him to not have a shot opportunity if it was going to be a long time before he could hunt sheep again. But, it's all good since he lives in AK and doesn't have those issues.

Larry

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
Thanks for all the input, I have come up with several items I hadn't thought of. I forgot to put D loop material on my original list. I don't have a spare set of strings, nor the time to get one and get it all set up in time to go. I did purchase a new launcher arm for my rest, but I have not been able to find a spare pin for my HHA slider sight. Anyone have an extra or know where I can get an extra pin for my single pin HHA sight? I think my pin is .019, but if any size HHA pin will fit on there, which I think it does that is fine with me if anyone has an extra?

Also, picked up a judo point...and I'll have 9 broadheads & arrows. Is that overkill? Keep in mind I can also shoot griz and/or caribou on the same trip. However, I won't take more than 2 animals should I be lucky enough to even get one. Not worth the extra bush flight it will cost me if I try to knock down every animal I see on the north slope...lol.

2rocky

WKR
9 should work. 5 or 6 in the quiver and 4 in the pack.

Ptarmigan in your hunting area?

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
Don't think they run around in the Brooks....I'll have a judo point anyhow, planned on using that if I happened to run into any little critters I felt like eating.

You can use your judo or small game arrows to do some stump shooting off and on during the day to keep sharp. It's nice when that once in a lifetime shot isn't the first shot you've taken since you left home five days ago. I always have a couple of flu-flu's or small game arrows on either side of my quiver and stump shoot throughout the day while hunting.

rodney482

WKR
Define work and setup?

Can u serve, tie a d-loop, set up a rest and sight?

Do you know how to properly press your bow and
replace the string and cable set? Do you know
how to twist cables an or string to get to
proper ATA and BH?

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
D-loop rest and sight...yes. Serve....no.

Replace string/cables nope, but I'm not going to have an extra set in time anyhow.

Twist cables...yep.

rodney482

WKR
All you need is a couple single allen wrenches
that fit your rest and sight.. a small
amount of serving and dloop material
and a couple Axle clips..

I always take a fully set up 2nd bow
that is left in the truck when I go
out of state.

Good luck