Repairing a block target

Well the core of my rinoblock is pretty much shot out. My broadheads are getting buried up to the fetching and I know it's just a matter of a few shots more until they start passing through.

I've looked for another core, but nobody local has one and what I am finding online has inflated prices and usually shipping in addition. I am trying to nurse it along through the season and then plan to buy a Matrix this winter.

So how do I get more broadhead life from it? I'm thinking of trying expanding foam, but the cans are kind of a one and done since the straw clogs up and I'm sure I would need a few cans to get me through. They are about $6 each in my area.

My other idea was to get some of the foam floor mats from harbor freight and roll them tightly into a new "core" and see how long that lasts me.

So does anyone have any other ideas? I'm trying to put as little money into this thing since its pretty much getting tossed at the end of the year.

Thanks.

rclouse79

WKR
I have stuffed plastic grocery bags between the layers of an old block target with limited success. Now I shoot my old one with the new one behind it with the sheets oriented vertically. I think it will last a long time with field points. I feel like broadhead targets are hard to keep for long. I keep rotating mine and shoot at different spots, but it is about done.

4rcgoat

WKR
I have an old target for broadheads, i put cardboard box behind it and cut a stack of 1 1/2 thick ridgid foam board pieces to fit snugly in the box. Usually leave 1 or 2 pieces out so there is room to pull a few pieces out,find which layer the broadhead poked through and unscrew it. A little time consuming, but what better do i have to do really.

OP
5 shot group
Well I won third prize in the matrix drawing at TAC big sky 😁, so Kevin is giving me $50 off a matrix, so it looks like I'll be getting one a little sooner.

Until then, I had to patch a hole in the garage where a gas line comes through from the house, so I used some of the expanding fire block foam. Since I only need just a little bit, I put the rest into my rhinoblock. It's seems to of setup pretty good and feels very dense, more then the regular foam. While not a long term solution, it should help me get by.

I like the idea of putting something behind the block to catch the arrows as they begin to pass through. That's so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it. My house produces a lot of cardboard, so I think that may be what I end up using.

I tried the expanding foam on one once. It took forever to dry and pretty much just made a mess.

Fill a 55 gallon drum half full of sand, tip it on its side, and set your target in the mouth of it. The sand will stop the arrow if you shoot through and isn’t hard on the arrow. Not very mobile, but good for a home range.

OP
5 shot group
Just don't shoot at the core, there are plenty of other dots and such to shoot at without having to go through the core.

I do this with field points. How does it works with broadheads? The core piece seems softer then the rest of the target. I would think broadhead removal would be difficult

Fatcamp

WKR
I just used one large can of spray foam from Ace to repair massive damage to a Rhinehart bedded buck that's dry after a couple days in the sun. $75 for the target and $10 for the spray foam=happy me.

Did the same to another target when it was cold out and took a bit to dry.

cnelk

WKR
Put a ratchet strap around the target and tighten it up real good. It will compress the layers enough to get some more shots into it